VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Frederick
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

This is my first post.

I have a very puzzling problem.

I have made a homemade video using iMovie 10 on a Mac. I have 2 Samsung HD TV's(that are the exact same model).

I put the MP4 file of the movie on a USB and it plays fine on one of the TV's. On the other TV only the video is played and not the sound. To add to the mystery I have another file
    on the USB that is also a homemade MP4 file that plays fine on both TV's.

Very strange in my opinion. Any ideas why this is happening? I would be most grateful for a solution to this problem.

Cheers,

Frederick
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does the no sound MP4 play ok on your mac ??
    see this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7899600
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Give us a detailed mediainfo readout, please.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Frederick
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    does the no sound MP4 play ok on your mac ??
    see this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7899600
    Yes, it plays on my Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Frederick
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Not sure how to give you a mediainfo readout???
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where yo can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mediaInfo - use view text mode then copy and paste
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mediainfo.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	54768  

SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Frederick
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    I have uploaded the text file. The problem file is "Rudy 65". The other one "exercise 2" works fine. The only difference I see between them is "Format settings,GOP/M=1, N=30"

line is missing in the "Rudy 65 file".

Thanks , Frederickgolf
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know why but presumably one of the TV has problems with the format of the file (maybe the two TVs have different firmware versions ?).

You can try remuxing the file to mp4/mkv (with tools such as avidemux, ffmpeg) and if this doesn't help, re-encode only audio (and finally also video with x264). Also, try on a different usb key.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Frederick
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    I don't know why but presumably one of the TV has problems with the format of the file (maybe the two TVs have different firmware versions ?).

You can try remuxing the file to mp4/mkv (with tools such as avidemux, ffmpeg) and if this doesn't help, re-encode only audio (and finally also video with x264). Also, try on a different usb key.
    So far no luck in trying remixing. The crazy part of all of this is that on that USB there are 2 different mp4 videos also made on iMovie 10 on my Mac, one of which plays fine on both TV's while the video in question only plays with sound on one of the TV's!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Frederick
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frederickgolf View Post
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    I don't know why but presumably one of the TV has problems with the format of the file (maybe the two TVs have different firmware versions ?).

So far no luck in trying remixing. The crazy part of all of this is that on that USB there are 2 different mp4 videos also made on iMovie 10 on my Mac, one of which plays fine on both TV's while the video in question only plays with sound on one of the TV's!!
    SUCCESS!! I FIGURED IT OUT FINALLY.

I went back to the original iMovie 10 project to see if anything was different to the very first video(the project was a compilation of short videos). I noticed there was a black line across the top of the first video in the Timeline that was not present in the other videos. I then deleted the first video in the Timeline and dragged the original video back into the timeline(no black line this time) and voila it worked when I exported the file to a USB. I suppose the reason that the file worked on the one TV and not the other is that even though both TV's are the same model Samsung they must have different firmware.

Thanks to all for their help and input.
    Last edited by Frederickgolf; 6th Sep 2020 at 19:39. Reason: wrong spelling
    Quote Quote