VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings from Austria!

I'm looking for Videographers, interested in beta testing an upcoming - very easy to use video editing software: Compoesy

Pre-information about the software and the possibility of registration for it, can be found here: http://macromotion.info/compoesy/preview-en
    Quote Quote  
  2. Currently, the 22nd Alpha-Version is being tested. Videographers who would like to beta-test this new software may still use the above link to register.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In the picture in post #1, I am not familiar with the word 'Vertonung' on the very top of the screen.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    In the picture in post #1, I am not familiar with the word 'Vertonung' on the very top of the screen.
    Are you familiar with Google translate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No thanks - that user interface is screwy, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Those are the personal buttons for quick layout changes. Since I am in Austria, some are German. I should have removed them before taking the screenshot. Thanks for the hint!

As for the user interface... you can change:
    • the size of the font
    • the size of the thumbnails for the Scene Bin
    • the size of the thumbnails for the Storyboard
    • the size of the video preview window
    • and the position and size of every section
    And every layout can be saved with a button at the top and switched by pressing it or a selectable shortkey.

Feel free to take a look here on some other layouts I am working within the alpha-tests (some HD, some UHD screens).

Something there better then "screwy"
    I love feedback. It's the only way to make things better.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No thanks - that user interface is screwy, and I do not mean that in a good way.

Scott
    Have to disagree with you there, Scott. In earlier years, Google Translate yielded torturous results, often mainly good for a head-scratch or a laugh. But over time I think it improved dramatically. I use it regularly now. For my relatively modest needs it has proven quite useful. There may be certain language to certain language outcomes where the results still fall too far short. (I think Japanese-to-English often gives some decidedly wacky results, for example.) Much better with Spanish-to-English, German-to-English, Scandinavian languages to English, probably Russian-to-English.

One thing I would like to try, basically out of desperation: say that you have a subtitles file that is only available in Dutch or Italian. Can this be broken up into chunks (due to the GT block-size limitations policy), converted to English, then replaced / synced up with the subtitle timings, to make fresh EN subs ? Other than hiring a translator, that is the only plausible solution for this scenario that occurs to me. If it could work, it would surely be a lot better than nothing.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by S.H.I.E.L.D. Agency View Post
    Currently, the 22nd Alpha-Version is being tested. Videographers who would like to beta-test this new software may still use the above link to register.
    I am not a videographer, but I do some video editing. In my experience so far, the epitome of simplicity -- as in, "just pick it up and immediately start using it", with virtually no learning curve to speak of -- has been Machete, which is available in the Tools Section here. It can't cut on anything but keyframes, and it can't handle a couple formats like MPG. But if one can allow for that, a basic video editor probably could not get any simpler. No getting rather lost in timelines and complex features. But of course this depends upon one's needs.

I'm always willing to check out another editor . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It wasn't the language - I understand German. No, it was the c.2000 look & placement of buttons. I'm glad there is modularity, but I've been working on NLEs since the Mid90s and expect more flexibility than that. You've got a preview, but no program monitor (or are you switching the nomenclature?). Titling popup window? Trim mode?

Sorry,but not sorry, after spending time on the likes of Premiere Pro, Vegas Pro, FCP/X, Edius, Resolve, and Media Composer, this is a step backward to me.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Will it import an image sequence?

I have to say the look of it puts me off, it does strike me as rather cheap and amateur in its appearance.

The fonts are particularly irritating.

It's a very crowded market with well established software, so I am not sure this will break any records.

Good luck to you all the same, but I will stick DV Resolve thanks.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 4th Oct 2020 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah it's all mixed up for me. why is audio only shown as mono? i'd need the preview storyboard above storyboard plus and audio levels are on the wrong side to be useful. personally i don't care assets are down below, but they'd have to be smaller and out of the way. i don't get the scene bins, i put all parts of a video into the same place. i don't have time to go clicking through folders looking for crap.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You've got a preview, but no program monitor (or are you switching the nomenclature?). Titling popup window? Trim mode?
    • Clicking on a scene in the Scene Bin, it is shown in the video preview window for splitting and trimming it
    • Clicking on an effect or title, the preview is also shown directly in the preview window - without the need for any additional popup. Entering text happens directly in the preview window.
    • Clicking within the StoryboardPlus timecode section will display the FX preview as well as the finished rendering - from start to end of the film.
    • Navigation within the scene, FX preview or Storyboard is possible by one single slider, cursor keys or ShuttlePro.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    after spending time on the likes of Premiere Pro, Vegas Pro, FCP/X, Edius, Resolve, and Media Composer, this is a step backward to me.
    Compoesy will also not try to attack any of those. But try to get those people cutting their movies, who do not want to pay as much or dig into Resolve tutorial videos for 2-3 family movies a year. I have no price from the manufacturer yet... but I guess it will be <100 USD. And the Assistent auto-cut will be free to use. I tried that with some footage from former day trips and for "quick&dirty" it was quite nice.

Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Will it import an image sequence?
    I have just imported a JPEG sequence with 1000 frames into one scene. Worked well and Compoesy can also export any scene as JPEG-sequence.

rather cheap and amateur in its appearance.
    Designed for easy usage at home - I guess <100 USD

The fonts are particularly irritating.
    The Windows default "Arial" is irritating Why?

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    why is audio only shown as mono?
    Because 95% of the people editing day trip or vacation videos won't edit the left and right channel differently. They will focus on the volume and mix with some comments and music.

i'd need the preview storyboard above storyboard plus and audio levels are on the wrong side to be useful.
    Then you may feel free to drag them to the desired position and dock them there. If you take a look at my build layouts HERE, you will see it's flexible.

i don't get the scene bins, i put all parts of a video into the same place. i don't have time to go clicking through folders looking for crap.
    • There is one Scene Bin and all footage is imported there. It can be sorted by name, recording date, scene length or you can sort scenes there manually, if needed.
    • It is possible to add a "Group" directly then importing certain scenes, or drag selected scenes to created Groups, if needed.
    • Scenes can be within multiple groups, so (if needed) you can have a quick overview over certain groups of scenes.
    • Scenes can be displayed with thumbnails (with different sizes - as needed for the desired layout) or be just a list of names - or a list with details like group-names, comments, IN/OUT, length.
    • Scenes can get a tag/comment that can also be searched for. If a complex video with thousands of scenes is made, organizing and finding shots can be quite comfortable.
    i don't have time to go clicking through folders looking for crap.
    Then you could make your personal layout, with just one Scene Bin window, preview window and Edit-Functions. I just made that layout and the 40" UHD display on my desk is now showing me 312 scenes at once. I saved that layout named "7 Mega Bin" and can now switch to any other and back by just pressing a button/key.
    EDIT: Two screenshots (horizontal/vertical) are in my layout collection now. Thanks for that idea.
    Last edited by S.H.I.E.L.D. Agency; 4th Oct 2020 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote