VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

3) When I play a Hollywood DVD or BluRay on my TV, the brightness, color and saturation are all very good. When I play that same Hollywood DVD or BluRay in my computer drive and view it on the computer monitor, the image is a bit dark and too saturated.
    The finished home DVD is too bright, undersaturated on a regular TV setup; But a retail DVD/BD is too dark, too saturated on the computer, is that correct ?

This suggests likely your computer display, GPU, or some combination is not set up correctly - that is leading you to make the wrong adjustments . What you wrongly see is too dark, too saturated on your computer setup - so you are overcompensating by actually making it too bright and desaturating it.

Ideally you should use a calibrated display setup, but even a roughly calibrated is probably good enough. You should also use scopes such as a waveform monitor, vectorscope to guide your manipulations. There are free ones in editors like shotcut. Avisynth has some too

If you want someone to double check your DVD , you can post a video sample and someone will provide feedback

There are many guides threads on this forum and others on how to properly setup a computer monitor and GPU. If you get stuck, ask
    Quote Quote  
  3. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Go over to the avsforum and search for 'HD 709'. You'll find an article and a number of downloads aimed at helping to calibrate your TVs etc. Obviously not as good as a proper calibration system but definitely better than the THX calbration section on many Lucasfilm discs.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  6. ..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    Thank you, TimA-C:

Yes, my Sony TV is “semi-calibrated”. By that I mean the following:

My OPPO disc player came with a TV calibration disc. Using the data, charts and graphs from that disc, one is able to calibrate/optimize the disc player and the TV. Granted, this is likely not quite as accurate as using a colorimeter and its accompanying software such as I use on my computer monitor for work in (the full version of) Photoshop, but it’s pretty good.

Related, as you read in the posts immediately above, I (and perhaps Mr. Poisondeathray, we’ll have to wait for his comments), am leaning toward exonerating my TV as the root of the problem discussed above. My newly VHS-captured and edited video looks good on both my computer monitor and my TV, so long as the input is my computer. It is when I copy the video (Video_TS folder) to a thumb drive or burn a DVD and play the thumb drive or DVD directly to my TV or A/V receiver (i.e., without the computer) that my video is way too bright and washed-out.

This situation is most perplexing, though, if I read his comments correctly, poisondeathray suggests that my computer monitor may be set too dark. He did not go into detail, but I infer that he recommends recalibrating my computer monitor to a brighter value. For example, the room light sensor function on my colorimeter usually suggests I set the monitor’s luminance at 120cd/m2. And that is how it is now set. But there are times (when the room is more brightly lit) when the recommended luminance is 180cs/m2 (which is very bright). I am guessing that poisondeathray would suggest that I recalibrate my computer monitor to a luminance of 180cs/m2, then re-edit my video using that setting. (Poisondeathray did not state that specifically; I am making an inference from his actual comments). In any event, I shall give it a try: (i) recalibrate my computer monitor to a luminance of 180cs/m2, (ii) re-edit my video, (iii) test the re-edited video on my TV.

I hope others will comment and provide further insight as to the problem I am experiencing and possible solutions.

Thank you.
    on your computer monitor, have you tried doing a factory reset ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. ..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Avagadro1;2594087]
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

on your computer monitor, have you tried doing a factory reset ??

Not in the last week. However, I sometimes do a factory reset of the computer monitor just prior to doing a full calibration using the colorimeter and calibration software.

Based on the situation I am currently experiencing with respect to video when played on the on the TV, I intend to recalibrate the computer monitor, setting the luminance value to 180cd/m2.

Thank you.
    might also try connecting your computer to your TV and do another capture, and then
    put the files on your flash drive / disc and see how that turns out. don't use a file
    that's already been done, start a new capture.
    Last edited by october262; 3rd Sep 2020 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:47.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    Were it so that my computer monitor is set too dark, then when the computer was connected to the TV the video should as well be too dark, should it not?
    Not necessarily, because of your graphics card HDMI out settings. Is it set to PC or TV levels ? If it looks "correct", then probably "TV" levels

Your DVD is an unknown factor. You should use something known, like test videos.

Or use check the actual levels using a waveform, and check the actual saturation using a vectorscope.

"washed out" implies elevated black level, low contrast. Saturation can appear low as well. But this is not necessarily the same thing as "too bright".

That implies a PC 0-255 vs. TV 16-235 levels mismatch somewhere. I suspect your computer display setup or graphics card

A retail DVD/BD is highly unlikely to have the incorrect levels
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    I have tried to describe this perplexing situation in as much detail as possible (could ya tell?). Can anyone offer an explanation for the WAY too bright video when played on a TV via USB thumb drive or DVD disc? And better still: a solution.
    Thank you.
    This may not be your issue, but I've experienced a similar washed out look when viewing video with the wrong video player. The cause of the issue was I was viewing an HDR10 video file on an SDR screen, without the appropriate filter compensation. I've attached an image showing the difference, left is washed out HDR10, vs SDR. If this looks similar to your video then it might be the answer.

[Attachment 54789 - Click to enlarge]

Edit: Re-reading your post it seems increasingly likely that this is your issue, when you said it looks find playing through hdmi. Hooking up your TV to the computer and decoding through VLC player is probably transcoding HDR10 to SDR on the fly for your TV. The TV itself may not have the capability to do this. Check whether your encode is HDR, and whether your TV supports HDR. If not you may have to: reencode, use a computer to hdmi to TV, or transcode using a service like Plex, Kodi , etc.
    Last edited by ForDexterity; 6th Sep 2020 at 12:58.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:47.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just mean if the file you captured or encoded is in HDR, then upon playback with an older tv it will not be able to interpret the color data and look washed out. Playing through VLC corrects this by transcoding to SDR before it reaches your TV for displaying.

If you used Premiere to export your file there's a high chance an "HQ" export included HDR10 data. Anyway, open your file in MediaInfo to check.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you post a sample of one of the videos that look too bright?
    Either from the USB or DVD ?

I assume commercial DVD's and other files look good on the TV, only your captures are "too bright"?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

1) I am capturing VHS video. Based on what I read on this help site, I set the capture software to capture as YUY2, 4:2:2 (or at least I thought I did). As you can see, the analysis says that my video file is YUV, 4:2:0. Did I do something wrong? Could this be the source of the problem described in my original post (video good on computer monitor but way too light and undersaturaterd on TV)?
    No. 4:2:2 vs. 4:2:0 only deals with chroma subsampling. Completely unrelated to your problem

And you can set it to 4:2:2 if you were using x264vfw

2) I assumed I was capturing Interlaced video. As you can see, the analysis says “Progressive”.
    Did I do something wrong? It would appear that I had the Progressive/Interlaced capture choices set incorrectly. In light of my capturing VHS video for viewing on either a computer monitor or television, should I recapture again ---- being sure it is Interlaced? Could that be the source of the problem described in my original post (video good on computer monitor but way too light and undersaturaterd on TV)?
    No. Unrelated to your problem.

And you can set --tff or --bff (for top field first, or bottom field first) in the extra commandline box if using x264vfw

Also you can set the aspect ratio with SAR in the x264vfw GUI

3) You advised me to look for some indication that I captured as HDR10 (which would be an error in my case). Do you see anything suspicions in the above data?
    HDR is unrelated to what you are doing
    Quote Quote  
  19. ..
    Quote Quote  
  20. ..
    Quote Quote  
  21. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:49.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can always open one of the videos in Virtualdub2; filters/levels/sample video/one key frame per second.
    Post the screen shot of the levels histogram
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    My capture software, in terms of H.264 video codec options, allows for "H.264", "H.264 Intel QuickSync Encoder", and "H264.OpenH264 Encoder". In response to a person who uses the same VHS capture as I, the person who runs the Adobe Premier Elements Online Forum recommended "H.264", so I used it. Perhaps I should have used "H264.OpenH264 Encoder" instead.
    The difference between "H.264", "H.264 Intel QuickSync Encoder", and "H264.OpenH264 Encoder" is as follows (to my knowledge):
    H.264 - is developed by MPEG LA consortium and any retail production using that encoder requires you pay royalties. Encoding is done by your CPU unit.
    H.264 Intel QuickSync Encoder - This is H264 except encoding is done by Intel Integrated Graphics Card in some computers. (faster but lower quality, larger file size).
    H264.OpenH264 Encoder - Adapted by Cisco, they pay the royalties if you use it for production. Encoding is done by your CPU unit.

All that being said, most people would recommend the "x264" encoder is available. No royalties and frequent improvements. Better quality imo even if you aren't planning on selling any of the videos. Uses CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    I’m not sure of what I should be looking for.
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I’ve not seen such an analysis before. Only a few items struck me:

1) I am capturing VHS video. Based on what I read on this help site, I set the capture software to capture as YUY2, 4:2:2 (or at least I thought I did). As you can see, the analysis says that my video file is YUV, 4:2:0. Did I do something wrong?

2) I assumed I was capturing Interlaced video. As you can see, the analysis says “Progressive”.
    Did I do something wrong? It would appear that I had the Progressive/Interlaced capture choices set incorrectly. In light of my capturing VHS video for viewing on either a computer monitor or television, should I recapture again ---- being sure it is Interlaced? Could that be the source of the problem described in my original post (video good on computer monitor but way too light and undersaturaterd on TV)?

3) You advised me to look for some indication that I captured as HDR10 (which would be an error in my case). Do you see anything suspicions in the above data?
    1. If you're running your direct captures through premiere you need to be very meticulous about project settings and export settings. Perhaps you exported as Progressive - like 480p?

2. Interlacing won't cause your color problem, but it wouldn't hurt to recapture to learn more.

3. If the video were HDR10 I believe it would say Bit depth: 10 bits. So this may be ruled out.

My suggestion is if you have access to a newer TV to play the videos on there, if the problem persists, its probably the encoding not the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  25. ..
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

My capture program, PotPlayer, in terms of H.264 video codec options, provides the three mentioned above. It does not provide "x264" an option.
    "H.264" video codec, I just wondered if instead using the "H264.OpenH264 Encoder" option would be a better choice (both are provided in my capture software but with no explanation).
    I've no experience with Potplayer, but I believe its similar to VLC, does that mean when you say capturing you are screen recording or selecting an input device? Either way I would recommend OBS Studio (free) for capturing if that's possible with your setup, also has more encoding options.

I don't think switching H264 to OpenH264 will change much, just won't have to pay royalties - which is irrelevant for your use case. Intel QuickSync is useful primarily for speed and the fact that you can record while your CPU is already under load, because it requires little/no CPU time.
    Last edited by ForDexterity; 8th Sep 2020 at 07:28.
    Quote Quote  
  27. OK. Back to basics: Are you absolutely certain that you haven't got any dynamic brightness or contrast settings turned on on either the player or the TV? No energy savings settings turned on? Some of the built-in media players can handle different file formats rather differently than you might expect. If you're generating H.264 files do you get the same results on your TV and Player if you mux them as mp4 files as you do if you mux them as, say, mkv files? Do you get different results playing the same files on disc and from a USB drive (or over the network?) Have you tried any of your 'problem' videos on other people's equipment to see if the same differences occur? At least that should tell you if it's definitely a problem with your workflow or a hardware/settings issue with your TV/player combo. I guess you should also check your display settings on the PC, and make sure that the Video brightness & colour settings aren't set to clip at 16 and 235, etc. . .
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  28. ..
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    POTPLAYER
    (2) Stories have it that the software may send a signal back to the developers in Korea.

INTERLACED / DEINTERLACING MATTER
    Yesterday I learned of the existence of the “MediaInfo” program. Installing and using it, I learned that I inadvertently have been capturing VHS with on-the-fly conversion to deinterlaced/progressive.
    POTPLAYER
    I'm not a big fan of Telemetry! Though I say that while running Windows OS, unfortunately...
    Open Broadcast Software (OBS) Studio is very easy to pick up because all the video game streamers use it, therefore saturating the market with tutorials.

INTERLACED / DEINTERLACING MATTER
    Regarding MediaInfo, open a file go to "View" and select "Tree" from dropdown menu, this is a more detailed breakdown. Also under "Options" "Preferences" you can enable a Windows tooltip if you run Windows so you can get this info by hovering on a file name instead of opening in the application.

Much better to capture in the Native interlaced format, if you'd like to deinterlace later I recommend using QTGMC filter in the Staxrip software (everything I use is free, because the internet!).

You should really test your file on a newer model tv is possible. Also can you play the files before you do final edits in premiere? How does that display?
    Quote Quote  
  30. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 15:50.
    Quote Quote