VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am using an old laptop for PowerPoints into my vMix computer. It has a VGA output that has a VGA to HDMI converter. I am using an Avermedia PCI card to capture the PPT's. The Avermedia has an HDMI input. This all works well. I have a newer laptop that I would like to use. It only has an HDMI output. When I connect the new laptop with an HDMI cable (no converter needed) the capture card (in vMix) does not see the new laptop.

The HDMI should be hot-swappable, but I have rebooted vMix, both computers, and re-set the input in vMix. What am I missing?

Windows 10, vMix 23-60
    New laptop via HDMI to a TV works fine
    Capture card: https://www.avermedia.com/us/product-detail/C985
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possible HDCP (Copy Protection) signal from a pure hdmi connection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is the make & model of the new laptop ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    When I boot up the old laptop, the desktop shows up in vMix. When I attach the new laptop, the vmix screen is blank.
    The new laptop is an MSI QE62 2QD Apache Pro 15"
    The new laptop is actually 18 months old and is attached to a large screen monitor via HDMI using the same cable I used when I moved it to the vMix computer. I also took the new laptop and attached it to a TV with HDMI input and that worked just fine. In addition to the old laptop, I attached a sony handycam (with 1080 HDMI output) to the capture card and that works just fine.

It seems to me that the capture card works well with the old laptop (VGA to HDMI) and a 1080 HDMI camera. BTW, this worked hot-swapping these two inputs.
    The new laptop will output 1080p to a TV and to a monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TV's and monitors ignore HDCP signals (else they would be of no use). Capture cards do not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    HDCP sounds like it could be the answer. How can I fix the problem or to test the theory to see if it's HDCP?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @DB83, actually TVs & monitors do NOT ignore them, but because they are compliant, secure sinks, the chain is considered completely trustworthy, and so it'll show the image.
    I have used a couple of HDMI monitors that are NOT hdcp-compatible, and when you try to show a copy-protected signal on them, they will either show black, or solid green, or will pulse snow (they work fine with non-cp stuff).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DonaldB View Post
    HDCP sounds like it could be the answer. How can I fix the problem or to test the theory to see if it's HDCP?
    it says under the specifications section - 1. LGHD does not support viewing/recording/streaming of HDCP protected signals

then in the Q&As, see under "How do I fix the device capturing nothing in the preview screen" - https://www.avermedia.com/us/product-detail/C985
    Last edited by october262; 1st Sep 2020 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @DB83, actually TVs & monitors do NOT ignore them, but because they are compliant, secure sinks, the chain is considered completely trustworthy, and so it'll show the image.
    I have used a couple of HDMI monitors that are NOT hdcp-compatible, and when you try to show a copy-protected signal on them, they will either show black, or solid green, or will pulse snow (they work fine with non-cp stuff).

Scott

Fairy nuff.

But I would still expect ANY monitor that has only hdmi inputs to be fully compliant. To read that some are not frightens me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DonaldB View Post

The only known solution is to obtain a hdmi splitter.

But there is a caveat to this. In the past, practically all splitters ignored HDCP and sent a clean signal to a capture device. Now the opposite appears to be the norm and most splitters acknowledge HDCP. There are numerous posts about this here and you should do a forum search on 'HDCP' or 'hdmi splitters'. But even if you were to get a splitter with the same name as one that worked in the past is no guarantee that it will now work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I have access to a USB capture device. It has an HDMI input and a USB 3.0 output. Would this bypass the HDCP?
    This is not the ideal solution, but would tell me if the problem is HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Fairy nuff.

But I would still expect ANY monitor that has only hdmi inputs to be fully compliant. To read that some are not frightens me.
    I wouldn't think there are many. For example, one of the ones I've dealt with is the Vaddio TeleTouch (21" HD touchscreen). That's a bit off the beaten path.

Btw, Most good quality, name brand capture cards/devices are hdcp-compliant, thus would NOT bypass hdcp. The ones that ignore hdcp are usually of no-name mediocre lineage. IOW, they cut corners in many areas.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you check that the resolution settings the laptop outputs is supported? If it's a gaming-laptop it may be using a monitor with a combination high refresh rate and resolution that exceeds what the capture card can handle, so you may have to lower the resolution and/or refresh rate. Wouldn't think HDCP would be enabled when not watching copy-protected content, there may be a driver setting for it or something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, that's a good possibility.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I checked the resolution and frame rate. Everything is set for 1080x30p. A camera that is set for 1080x30p works well with the capture card. I tried changing the resolution in vMix as well as the laptop. No change-blank screen. I also bought 2 HDMI splitters that were reported to not pass DHCP through. Links shown below. Both failed. That is, they showed a blank screen. I then tried something different. I went from the HDMI output on the laptop to a HDMI to VGA converter. From there I put a VGA to HDMI converter. From there I plugged into the capture card. Guess what it worked- I got a picture. I hope this means something to someone, because I am still trying to figure out what is happening.

Splitter#1
    Splitter #2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you should re-read the product notes for those splitters. My reading of them is the total reverse of your understanding.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    That does not surprise me as I think I am in over my head. #1 was recommended in another forum to use in a similar situation as mine to block copy protection. #2 says "this splitter does not pass the HDCP copy protection information so it is unsuited for use in home theater systems"
    If these are not going to work for me, is there one that will?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re-read my reply #10 in full

But I thought I read you now have a solution - you got a picture so can you now record that ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    It is a solution, but not a very good one - HDMI cable to HDMI 2 VGA, to VGA cable, to VGA 2 HDMI, to HDMI cable. If I could just find an HDMI splitter that works, it would be much better.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one that works https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=sr_1_1?dc...9435708&sr=8-1. It blocks hdcp i been using it for over 4yrs on my capture cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to read that it worked for you.

But there are conflicting reviews on Amazon. Now I do know that Amazon have a tendency to pool together reviews of what may be similar products (same box but different components)

Reading the reviews tho another thought went through my head which I should have thought of earlier. The new laptop is sending hdmi. The capture device receives hdmi. But what if the capture device only receives version 1x whereas the laptop is sending version 2x. Devices are only downwards compatable. The specs for both the laptop and the capture device should be examined. After all connecting a laptop to a capture device is not exactly a common thing to do.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I tried the splitter suggested by Wizard and it did not work. That makes three splitters that did not work, even though all were suggested to work by others. I need to take a step back and just use the HDMI to VGA converter and then the VGA to HDMI converter because that works just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you also consider the last paragraph in my most recent reply about hdmi versions ?

Might I suggest an alternative approach. Your new laptop has the power points and it must be able to play them else you could not transfer them by any method. So why not do what everyone else does and screen-capture the playback.
    Quote Quote  
  24. A word of warning too - I used a splitter for 4 or so years until it failed - tried to reorder on Amzn - arrived ok but didn't work. Cheaper manufacturers use different chips in their components and what works one day will not work the next.
    Quote Quote