VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Xmedia Recode Video Converter ver 3217. It has a filter clled "NOISE". Now it also has 'Noise Reduction' to remove noise or snow from a video, but what does 'Noise' do? Is it a way to PUT NOISE ON TO a video - if so will it over-ride those nasty swirling black shapes that plague Internet videos, known as Jpeg Compression Artifacts? I am hoping so but I need an explanation how to set it up for the best results? Pleaese let me know? Usually 'Noise' is considered an ugly site on videos but I have the box set of The Marx Brothers dvd's and these old washed out films seem to have had 'noise' of some kind added to give the pictures a very pleasant "Crusty Quality"! Will 'Noise' on Xmedia Recode do the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Using xmedia, why not copy out a short clip and try it, that way you'll learn what it does, or doesn't do
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for writing, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually tried it. Is it effective at reducing Compression Artifacts, without upsetting proper detail in the picture?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Generally, NOISE = 'Add Noise'. Discreet pixels are added to your video to give an 'old film' effect. Nothing to do with reducing compression artefacts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Adding noise to video helps prevent posterization artifacts. Especially in dark shots. But you must use sufficient bitrate to retain that noise when you encode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for writing DB83 and Jagabo. Both answers seem to be at variance(?) I am wanting to reduce Compression Artifacts which take the form of dark shadows, oozing around on dark images. This is the only bugbare with videos on the internet - if it wasn't for these shadowy effects internet videos would be perfect. Why the 'powers that be' don't do something to prevent these negative issues - do not know!
    I have always used Xmedia Recode using the Default Settings. I don't know how to judge how to alter the Bit Rates for the best? Will the Noise feature work good without changing the Bit Rate? If it is set up correctly will the picture look "rather off" or will it look pleasing? As I mentioned, all of the Marx Brothers dvd's have been mastered by Universal with a curious '"noise like crusty effect" which looks appealing. I think they have done them this way because the images are weak and washed-out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I had to chose my own opinion against that of jagabo I would chose jagabo every time

Now I have never used that program. I can not speak for jagabo. But it does not do itself any favours not describing what its filters do. Almost as if it assumes the user knows.

I do not quite understand your particular issue with internet vids. Normally, the recc would be to upload a short sample of the issue as you see it then others can comment and suggest fixes accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what the Noise filter in XMedia Recode does. I don't think this the "crusty effect" the OP was talking about
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4c2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	54706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4c1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	54707  

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0DmiynhkWU

Take a look at this video 1.09 mins in - the bat at the window and the shot of Lugosi leaning over the girl. Both are good examples of the 'swirling oozing artifacts' I would like to remedy. Could Xmedia Recode 'Noise' "improve" these images without fading natural details?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would never take yt as a yardstick. True that they will have re-encoded the guts out of what the original upload was but, generally, what has been taken out can not be put back in.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've never used Xmedia Recode either. But it's obvious from davexnet's image that the filter is adding noise to the video.

The artifacts in the Dracula video are posterization artifacts (among other things). It's best to retain the original film grain to prevent this from happening in the first place. Adding noise after it has been obliterated by over-compression won't work as well. And you must retain that grain when you recompress -- which means high bitrates.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've looked at some videos like this in the past. Looking at some of my old scripts, I can see I tried
    Code:
    GradFun2DBmod(str=3.2)
    in Avisynth to try and calm the posterization and increase the luma grain a little.
    Then encode using tune:film

But as jagabo has said, you can't really recover details that have already been lost; trying to disguise
    them only gets you so far
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. If the channel owner knew what he was doing, the moving black blocks wouldn't be nearly as bad as they are. There would be more detail as well. Movies are 24fps, not 30fps. The guy wasted bits encoding extraneous frames. I didn't check to see if they're duplicate frames or blended frames. I hope that's not the one you're working on.

Edit: Oh, The Marx Brothers. Any fan would get the Blu-Rays. No 'restoration' needed as it's already been done.
    Last edited by manono; 31st Aug 2020 at 19:32.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Special thanks to all and especially Davexnet who kindly sent the illustrations. I am guessing you set the Noise level up to maximum,(?), It gives me confidence to try after I have witnessed a proper result.
    Quote Quote