VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, so I have a file that is 1920x1080 pixels at 60fps so it has smooth motion, and I want to put it on a DVD and preserve that smooth motion. That would mean the video on the DVD would be 720x480 at 29.97fps interlaced, so 59.94 fields per second. How do I do that? I found no information on how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's easy in AviSynth. Is it literally 60 fps, not 59.94 fps? For the latter:

Code:
    LWlibavVideoSource("filename.ext")
    Spline36Resize(720,480)
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()
    Encode as interlaced, top field first, 16:9 DAR, MPEG 2 for DVD with the encoder of your choice (hcenc?)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have never used this program, can you be more precise?
    Quote Quote  
  4. AviSynth is rather difficult to get started with. There are some GUI based encoders that come with everything you need and will build a basic AviSynth script you can then modify -- try StaxRip.
    Quote Quote  
  5. He's going to DVD , so maybe avs2dvd would be a better choice. I don't know if staxrip can encode mpeg2 for DVD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, avs2dvd is probably more appropriate for the OP.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Can I get a step-by-step explanation please? I precise that I have no experience whatsoever in this field.
    Last edited by Mr Magnétoscope; 25th Aug 2020 at 20:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just pay attention to how AVSToDVD does it. It uses AviSynth scripts for its work so check to see it does it similar to the script jagabo showed you. And begin to read on the AviSynth site, especially the 'getting started' sections.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Just pay attention to how AVSToDVD does it. It uses AviSynth scripts for its work so check to see it does it similar to the script jagabo showed you. And begin to read on the AviSynth site, especially the 'getting started' sections.
    Yes, AVStoDVD's package will install Lav filters and Avisynth if they're not already present.

BY default the program would decimate this source to keep it progressive.
    You could either create a working script outside the program and have AVStoDVD open the script, or open the source file
    in the program and modify it's internal script.

The important thing to check before you start your project is the preferences/video tab
    make sure it's set to NTSC video standard
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, it seems that the AviSynth site is not accessible. I need a tutorial on how to do what I described in my first message, because right now I am completely confused. Hasn't someone done exactly that already?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr Magnétoscope View Post
    Well, it seems that the AviSynth site is not accessible. I need a tutorial on how to do what I described in my first message, because right now I am completely confused. Hasn't someone done exactly that already?
    What site is that? Almost all the best software is right here on the videohelp site.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviSynth-Plus

Download the version there, it enables a 32 and 64 bit pipeline (AVStoDVD is 32 bit)

At a very high level Avisynth is a frame server. It opens your source, manipulates the frames,
    and passes them to the host program when the script is opened.

Understanding it at conceptual level is easy, the scripts can be as simple or complicated
    as required to do the job at hand.

The script provided by jagabo above is pretty much complete, it turns the 60 (59.94) fps progressive
    into 29.97 interlaced and passes them to which ever program you open the script with
    Quote Quote  
  12. So I created an AVS file in the same folder as my video file and put in there jagabo's script. I tried to open the AVS file in AVStoDVD just like I would open a video file, but it won't open.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you change the path and filename for the file in the script?

You need a better diagnostic error message that contains more information. Open the script in vdub2 or mpchc and report what the error message says
    Quote Quote  
  14. Does AVStoDVD come with LSMASH? LWlibavVideoSource() and LWlibavAudioSource() are included in that package, not as part of a basic AviSynth install. I used those just because they open may types of files and many different codecs. Depending on your source you may be able to use another source filter that comes with AVStoDVD. I don't know what in includes -- maybe AviSource(), ffVideoSource()... Or you can probably add LSMASH to it's AviSynth filters.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Does AVStoDVD come with LSMASH? LWlibavVideoSource() and LWlibavAudioSource() are included in that package, not as part of a basic AviSynth install. I used those just because they open may types of files and many different codecs. Depending on your source you may be able to use another source filter that comes with AVStoDVD. I don't know what in includes -- maybe AviSource(), ffVideoSource()... Or you can probably add LSMASH to it's AviSynth filters.
    Yes it includes FFmpegsource. You can choose it directly, as you can directshowsource & avisource,
    or there is a default setting of "a2dsource" where the program uses a script to figure out which of the above is most appropriate.

Those are in the preferences/Avisynth tab. As is usual for A2D, you must make the choice before the project is opened,
    otherwise it doesn't get applied
    Quote Quote  
  16. Image
    [Attachment 54650 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 54651 - Click to enlarge]

This is the .avs file, which is in the same folder as the video file, and the error message when I try to open it in AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the bottom of the main window (left of the start button) there is a window of messages.
    Are there any warnings or errors there?

Did you run the install or are you trying the portable version ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Try changing LWlibavVideoSource(24-12-2019 split-screen.mp4) to ffVideoSource("24-12-2019 split-screen.mp4") -- and be sure the filename is in quotes.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are other messages in that window not visible.
    What is before the LAV filters line
    Quote Quote  
  20. You need a better error message. Again, open the avs on vdub2 or mpchc. It will reveal additional information as to what the actual problem is , instead of a vague message. avs2dvd probably does not show the full error message
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need a better error message. Again, open the avs on vdub2 or mpchc. It will reveal additional information as to what the actual problem is , instead of a vague message. avs2dvd probably does not show the full error message
    Yes, but add the full path to the script - eg.
    FFvideosource("c:\mypath\file.mp4")
    Quote Quote  
  22. Above the LAV filters line it says : AviSynth 2.6.0 is installed ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\avisynth.dll")
    and
    AVStoDVD Release 2.8.6 loaded

And when I open it in MPCHC, it doesn't show an error message, it only says impossible to play the file.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Mr Magnétoscope View Post
    And when I open it in MPCHC, it doesn't show an error message, it only says impossible to play the file.

If you have avisynth x64, use mpchc x64 .

"AviSynth 2.6.0 is installed ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\avisynth.dll")" means avisynth x64

avisynth x86 would be installed in Windows\SysWOW64
    Quote Quote  
  24. It is MPCHC x64.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Write a different script in notepad. Save it. Change the extension from .txt to .avs

e.g. version.txt to version.avs

Code:
    version()
    Open that in MPCHC x64, if it gives the same error message, try vdub2 x64
    Quote Quote  
  26. Just a note: on my Win10-64 system MPCHC has a problem opening AviSynth scripts that deliver RGB24 -- that's what the simple version() script outputs. If it doesn't work on your system try adding a second line: ConvertToRGB32():

Code:
    Version()
    ConvertToRGB32()
    After updating MPCHC it still wouldn't play but gave a message indicating it wouldn't work with the old version of ffdshow I have installed. I use ffdshow on occasion so I didn't uninstall it to check if that was really the problem.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Aug 2020 at 20:46.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I am confused, it would really help if someone could make a tutorial video for this. It would as well help anyone who wants to do it in the future and it's currently not much documented on the Internet (which is why I opened this thread).
    Quote Quote  
  28. Tutorial video please... I haven't found any.
    Quote Quote