VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a good program for Mac for copying Blu-ray Discs? I have some discs I want to do copy and paste backups of, but I haven’t really found one that just copies the entire disc, menus and all. I don’t want to rip and convert (like MakeMKV, for example), I want to copy everything as is (ideally as an ISO file or equivalent).

So far I have looked at Burn, but it doesn’t seem to have a Blu-ray function, only DVD.
    I’ve also tried Aurora Blu-ray Copy, but I can’t find any evidence it preserves menus and all that.

I’ve already ruled out Leawo, because I had an awful experience with one of their other products. I’m wary of DVDFab because they seem similar, but if anyone can attest to their quality I’d consider them.

If all else fails I can go with suggestions for a Windows software, but I’d prefer not to have to run Parallels every time I want to back up a disc.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    Is there a good program for Mac for copying Blu-ray Discs? I have some discs I want to do copy and paste backups of, but I haven’t really found one that just copies the entire disc, menus and all. I don’t want to rip and convert (like MakeMKV, for example), I want to copy everything as is (ideally as an ISO file or equivalent.
    MakeMKV has a "Backup" option to copy the entire contents of Blu-ray discs as files and folders. There are instructions here: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4/category/4

Maybe Toast could be used to create a Blu-ray ISO from the files and folders.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, so I tried out the backup option in MakeMKV and it's odd:
    If I check the decrypt files box it successfully rips the disc but presents the videos as one long 'AVCHD collection' video file, and doesn't seem to include the menus and all that.
    If I don't check t he decrypt files box it says a 'fatal error' has occurred and quits the program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only used MakeMKV a few times but it worked just fine Windows PC for copying the contents of a Blu-ray disc to the HDD as files and folders. It is somewhat surprising that MakeMKV doesn't work just as well for ripping a Blu-ray disc as a file and folders copy on Macs.

The decrypt files box has to be checked if the Blu-ray disc is encrypted. Otherwise, the video files MakeMKV copies to your HDD won't be decrypted and won't be playable.

I guess that if DVDFab Blu-Ray Copy for Mac works, that is your best option.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Aug 2020 at 16:07.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote