VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys! I have a pretty specific problem. I'm trying to restore concert footage; the whole show is around 50 minutes, but only available on VHS with altered colors. However, three songs have been rebroadcast in much better quality and captured digitally, with the correct colors. I have the source files for both version (the VHS transfer and the 3 songs). What would be the best way to match the colors of the VHS with the full concert to those of the 3 songs? Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by blinkHQ View Post
    Hey guys! I have a pretty specific problem. I'm trying to restore concert footage; the whole show is around 50 minutes, but only available on VHS with altered colors. However, three songs have been rebroadcast in much better quality and captured digitally, with the correct colors. I have the source files for both version (the VHS transfer and the 3 songs). What would be the best way to match the colors of the VHS with the full concert to those of the 3 songs? Thank you

"Best" is probably matching them manually in a video editor, with scopes and color adjustment filters. Davinci Resolve is a good choice.

There are various "auto" color matching plugins , some paid, some free. Results can vary between good and poor. But usually you need the same scenes present; you're missing some from the "good" version. Although some can "guess" based on the color palette from previous scenes

There is a learning curve no matter what you choose, and you usually have to adjust the results "auto" plugins afterwards anyways for a closer match

If it's from the same broadcast, there is a chance that you could just match 1 frame and everything will hopefully match. Worst case scenario is each scene is slightly different and there is a lot of manual corrections

If you post some small sample clips, someone could make suggestions, or point you in the right direction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have already somewhat matched it manually with Premiere with a lot of work, but it's not perfect and I was wondering if there was a better way.

Here are some clips, I didn't upload them but they're from the exact same sources I have:
    VHS: https://youtu.be/zM9ZjpmzX7c?t=2042
    Digital: https://youtu.be/dC2DI0FCy6U
    Quote Quote