VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm ripping my DVD's to MKV with STEREO sound. I use the STEREO soundtrack if it's a choice on the DVD. Sometimes there's a choice of Dolby Surround sound which I thought was spatially expanded 2-channel or 4-channel surround sound. I just read it is 4-channel on 2-channel media that is played in 4-channel IF played back on a device that has Pro Logic Decoding. Most DVD players and laptops don't have a Pro Logic Decoder. So, what good is that?

I have noticed a difference between Dolby Surround Sound, 5.1 Surround Sound and DTS when played from DVD on my laptop as well as a difference after each has been muxed down to STEREO on my laptop.

Back to my question. My question is, do I choose which ever surround sound has LESS channels or should I choose the highest form of surround sound available on a movie DVD to multiplex down to a STEREO MKV?

I have been choosing whichever has less channels since it's closer to STEREO than higher forms of surround sound. However, I've noticed sounds in DTS that are not heard in lower forms of surround sound and would like those in my resultant STEREO mux if they would still be heard when muxed down to STEREO.

Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would be better to choose, if the option is there, "mixdown to stereo"
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is no "mixdown to stereo" choice in any DVD menu. I'm choosing to mix down to STEREO in my ripper/transcoder.
    My question is, should I mix down the lowest surround sound soundtrack choice with less channels or the highest surround sound soundtrack choice with the most channels?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5.1 order according to SMPTE
    Ch1: L
    Ch2: R
    Ch3: C
    Ch4: LFE
    Ch5: Ls
    Ch6: Rs
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I know the parts of surround sound. That's not my question. My question is if I have the choice of 7.1, 6.1 and 5.1 suuround sound as SOURCES to mux down to STEREO, Which one should I choose? Which will give me a "better" STEREO version of the soundtrack? I've noticed that the resulting STEREO version sounds different from each other type of surround sound. I don't know if I get MORE sounds in the resulting STEREO version if I start with DTS. That would be cool. Otherwise I want the truest, natural STEREO sound as if they started with STEREO.

Please note that I am not yelling when I use capital letters. I'm just specifying something and I spell DTS and STEREO with capitals as a type.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I know the parts of surround sound. That's not my question. My question is if I have the choice of 7.1, 6.1 and 5.1 suuround sound as SOURCES to mux down to STEREO, Which one should I choose? Which will give me a "better" STEREO version of the soundtrack? I've noticed that the resulting STEREO version sounds different from each other type of surround sound. I don't know if I get MORE sounds in the resulting STEREO version if I start with DTS. That would be cool. Otherwise I want the truest, natural STEREO sound as if they started with STEREO.

Please note that I am not yelling when I use capital letters. I'm just specifying something and I spell DTS and STEREO with capitals as a type.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For a good downmix to stereo it needed some audio filters. To make it easy, use my clever FFmpeg-GUI, load your file, main, audio modify, continue, set 5.1 to 2, set the output you want (aac,ac3,mp3), specify bitrate, click convert. Done.
    (Read the HowTo.txt).
    Last edited by ProWo; 22nd Aug 2020 at 04:42.
    Quote Quote