VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been capturing video in the last couple of years with various degrees of success and quality (Windows 7). At least it was good enough for me and it worked.

Recently I had to upgrade to Windows 10 and the knock-off EZCap device broke/stopped working. I tried it on two different computers (desktop and laptop) and could not get it to work.

So then I read here, that Windows 10 in general can be difficult to work with in therms of capturing video and the devices neccesary. So I read some more and came across the Terratec Grabster AV 350 MX - which was a) recommended and b) availabe where I live (Germany). I ordered it (2nd hand), downloaded the Windows 10 driver, set it up and it was recognized right away. Unlike the EZCap, which I could not get to work with whatever drivers I chose.

But this is where it stopped to be fun.
    I have two VCRs: a Philips VR1000 and a PANASONIC NV-HS1000 (which doesn't work properly at the moment). I could select the device in VD right away. But this is what it looked like (YT obviously compresses the heck out of it):
    Menu screen with strange bars:
    https://youtu.be/I2cAc4Wg8Ek which looked like this when video was recorded:
    https://youtu.be/5bvztmkLWW0 (no audio on purpose) - quite choppy (look at the moving wall), though no frames were dropped.
    The drive of the Panasonic isn't working right now, but this is what the menu looks like: https://youtu.be/E3AvsbGvqN0 (should be standing still, right?)

I used VirtualDub2 44282 to capture, since I could not get any preview/overlay or video input with version 43228 (which I used in the past) or the old VirtualDub 1.9.11.
    The Terratec had some Magix software included, which I used to test, but the picture was the same. I even switched the input to SCART, but that didn't help.

Maybe some of you have had similar experiences, or know what's going on here - did I get a faulty device, or is a Windows thing etc. ?
    I guess, it's not the VCRs (which I suspected at first).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like dropped frames. If you're also capturing audio simultaneously,
    use uncompressed PCM, try a fast capture codec HuffyUV, UTcodec, Lagarith etc, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VCR Menus looking weird over capture cards is not unusual, the signal they output is a usually a bit non-standard which can confuse many capture cards.

The AV 350 MX should be decent, I think it uses similar chips to the oft recommended ATI 600 USB.

There was a win10 update that changed something that broke the video overlay in Virtualdub. It got fixed at one point in virtualdub2, but on versions before that fix the preview can have issues on win10.

Do you get the choppiness on other tapes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Looks like dropped frames. If you're also capturing audio simultaneously,
    use uncompressed PCM, try a fast capture codec HuffyUV, UTcodec, Lagarith etc, etc.
    The sample was recorded with no audio, but usually I use uncompressed PCM. Video codec is UTvideo YUV422 BT.601 VCM (see screenshot). Strange thing is also, even if there are dropped frames, the audio is always in sync.

VD is not showing any dropped frames when I capture. But it looks like that, yes. Here's a screencapture of the preview/overlay: https://youtu.be/YnRreZy2X5k
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	compres.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	54588  

Last edited by Jupit0r; 21st Aug 2020 at 02:56.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    VCR Menus looking weird over capture cards is not unusual, the signal they output is a usually a bit non-standard which can confuse many capture cards.
    The AV 350 MX should be decent, I think it uses similar chips to the oft recommended ATI 600 USB.
    Yes, that's why I got the AV350. I saw it being recommended here
    Regarding the menu: I'm used to it looking fine, so that's where I come from

Originally Posted by oln View Post
    There was a win10 update that changed something that broke the video overlay in Virtualdub. It got fixed at one point in virtualdub2, but on versions before that fix the preview can have issues on win10.

Do you get the choppiness on other tapes?
    ATM I can only get the preview in 44282. Before that I ran an Windows 10 - updated from Windows 7 and it worked. But it had so many other issues, with software not working anymore etc., that I had to do a clean re-install. That's where the problems started on my PC. On the other hand on the laptop, I had a clean install of W10 and could even get the old EZCap to work. But either the computer itself was too slow, or the harddrive couldn't take it - it had major sync issues on most files.

I just checked another tape and it's the same. I know, I'm repeating myself - but I suspect, since the menu is looking weird (that kind of flashing/pulsating), it's translating directly to the video being captured. So, I might eliminate bad cables (tried two SVHS and a SCART), dropped frames (it's already visible in the preview, not just the captured video file).
    Quote Quote