VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody, I converted it using this guide http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/VidCoder_Tutorial_page2.html
    I choose the H264 MKV 480p30 preset from the Matroska section and then I set the Sizing tab like this

and the Video encoding tab like this

And here is my question: in this tab there is the "Encoder settings" section. Do I have to change something or not? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those are reasonable defaults. Give it a try
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the answer
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why are you resizing to 720x480? You only need to do that if you're making DVDs and encoding MPEG 2 -- which obviously you are not since you are encoding with x264. If your source is 16:9 you should resize to 852x480 or 720x404. If the source is 4:3 you should resize to 640x480.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Thanks for the answer
    You're welcome. How was the result?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, I didn't answer because I didn't need to convert that file anymore. But now I need to convert another one, so I can answer. I choose the 720x480 resolution so it results 720x404 in the output section.

[Attachment 55176 - Click to enlarge]

If I put 720x404, it results 718x404.

[Attachment 55177 - Click to enlarge]

Source is 16:9. I've got another question, about the Audio encoding section.

[Attachment 55178 - Click to enlarge]

In this case source is dts/ac3 5.1 channels. Is it a good idea to convert in aac (mixdown stereo)? If yes, I don't know what to choose: bitrate or quality? I tried with auto bitrate and the result is a 50 MB audio (video has a length of 43 mins). Choosing default (5) quality instead, result is 120 MB. I think 120 MB is too much, considerating that video track is 235 MB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Get rid of one audio track, unless you want to keep both Eng and Ita.

Downmixing to aac stereo 128kbps will give good results and will play without issues (though obviously you lose 5.1 audio).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    I choose the 720x480 resolution so it results 720x404 in the output section.
    So it's some quirk with the program's automatic resizing.
    Quote Quote