VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does not support at all?

I think they all support huffyuv, lagarith etc... , as long as you have matching x86 vs. x64 version of the codec installed. But the issue is they treat YUV lossless codecs as RGB, and there are various issues , the potentially bad one is clipping in the RGB conversion

Vegas works in studio range RGB normally (Y 0-255 <=> RGB 0-255) , where the black level is RGB16, white is RGB 235 (it's setup to work in this range) . Once codec that will work is magicyuv with the full range yuv option checkmarked, and that will preserve the range. (You still get minor rounding losses from the YUV>RGB conversion

Free/open source software like shotcut treat lossless YUV codecs as YUV , but they have some issues with proper interlaced workflows

I check recently again, and x264 was truly lossless in Adobe, the only lossless YUV codec that was truly lossless as YUV (all the others get RGB treatment). You can test in Elements
    Quote Quote  
  3. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 07:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In general, you need x64 codec versions installed for x64 programs. So if Elements was x64, you need to follow the x64 install instructions for that codec. Check vdub2 x86 and x64, does huffyuv show up on the compression list for both ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. ..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

In reviewing the “Compression” dialog of 32-bit VirtualDub2, I see that there is “Huffyuv v. 2.1.1” (that I manually installed several days ago) . . . and a codec named “FFMPEG Huffyuv lossless codec”. QUESTION: For the purposes at hand, are these the same?
    No.
    If you click on it in vdub2, you will see FFmpeg Huffyuv has a different fourcc "FFVH" . “Huffyuv v. 2.1.1" is "hfyu"

Then I looked into the folder for 64-bit VirtualDub. In the “Compression” dialog I see that there is a codec named “FFMPEG Huffyuv lossless codec”. However, “Huffyuv v. 2.1.1” is not listed. I assume what’s going on is that the manually downloaded “Huffyuv v. 2.1.1” is 32-bit only and therefore it shows up only in the 32-bit version of VirtualDub2.

Before I end-up breaking something, would it be your thought that if I had originally captured my VHS video using the 64-bit version of VirtualDub and applied the “FFMPEG Huffyuv lossless codec” (assuming it is effectually the same as “Huffyuv v. 2.1.1”), that the resulting AVI, audio AND VIDEO, would have imported and worked in Adobe Premier Elements ---- even though Adobe does not list it as a “supported” codec?

"AVI" imported codecs into most editors will need the AVI version of huffyuv , which is "hfyu" . The "codec" includes an encoder and a decoder . The NLE requires the decoder portion in order to decode. "AVI" codecs are also known as "VFW" or video for windows codecs.

A x64 NLE will not be able to use the x86 huffyuv decoder, so you get black screen, since you are missing the x64 huffyuv decoder

It's unlikely that you will "break" anything by installed x64 version of a VFW codec. I have both x86, x64 versions of hfyu installed concurrently - many people do.

Those codecs are not listed as "supported" for Premiere Pro either;
    https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/premiere-pro/using/supported-file-formats.html

"Supported" means natively supported, "out of the box" so to speak. These are 3rd party codecs, rely on 3rd party decoders.

Will it work for sure? I don't know , I don't have Elements, but it should. This is how it works for Premiere Pro and most Windows NLE's (and other Windows programs)
    Quote Quote  
  7. ..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    Any idea where I can find the 64-bit huffyuv decoder?
    There are instructions somewhere on this site on how to install it. It' s not straightfoward. The actual x64 .dll , huffyuv.dll, should be found in Windows/System32 (all x64 codec .dlls will be found here)

Related, since many on this site also recommend the Lagarith lossless codec, and it comes with the 64-bit version of VirtualDub2, I just did a sample VHS capture using the Lagarith lossless codec. I opened Adobe Premier Elements and loaded this AVI. As with the earlier test of the 32-bit Huffyuv, only the audio portion imported; the video did not.
    I think the actual lagarith installer includes both x86, x64 versions (Windows/System32 for x64, Windows/SysWOW64 for x86) - there are lagarith.dll's in both locations, just like there are for huffyuv (for me) . That's what another program such as a NLE is using. They can't use anything in the vdub2 directory such as the bundled lagarith. They have to be system installed VFW codecs

For example, ut video does it this way too. (A single installer installs both x86, x64 versions)
    Quote Quote  
  9. ..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    poisondeathhray —

Ok, I found that this website had both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Huffyuv codec available for download.

I just created a sample VHS capture using the 64-bit Huffyuv codec in VirtualDub2, 64-bit. I opened Adobe Premier Elements and loaded this AVI. As with the earlier tests, only the audio portion imported; the video did not.
    Did you verify it was installed correctly ? Does it show up in vdub2 x64 compression list ?

Earlier , did you actually install lagarith ? Or just use vdub2's bundled one ?

In frustration but bowing to reality, should I give up on Huffyuv or Lagarith compression and just capture to H.264 (either AVI or MP-4) and simply do my editing with this lossy format?

Thanks.
    h264 doesn't have to be lossy . x264 is a h264 encoder that can encode lossless. - It's the actually only lossless YUV format accepted by Adobe Premiere Pro , that is truly lossless. All those other ones, huffyuv, ut video, lagarith, magic yuv, are not. That's not the codec's fault, it's just they way they are handled by other programs . I don't know if Elements accepts the lossless version, but you can test it

For x264, at QP1, the quality is significantly higher than even ProRes XQ4444 or Cineform Filmscan3 . Those latter ones are professional quality codecs that are used for mastering. At QP1, it will be accepted by almost everything, and still be treated as YUV .

Don't bend over backwards - Lossless vs. lossy is a non issue, expecially if you're going to DVD. You won't notice the difference even on single frames. By all means, keep a truly lossless version for archival. But for the NLE and producing a DVD, it's not going to make a difference in terms of quality
    Quote Quote  
  11. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Codecs work with their supported APIs and platforms. This can vary quite a bit.

(example)
    For Macs, there was the old Quicktime (32bit only) platform and their installable codecs for the supported MOV container file format. Newer Macs only support the AVFoundation (64bit only) platform. And they hardly have any 3rd-party codec support, so what Apple provides are the ONLY codecs you can choose from. Note, still using MOV format, which means much confusion if moving from old Mac devices & storage to new Macs.
    Luckily -SOME- codecs are supported also by ffmpeg platform (likely only in 64bit on Macs), allowing conversion, storage, etc. But if you intend on working with standard Mac apps, they'll be using the AVFoundation platform.

On the Windows side, where you're working, there are multiple APIs & platforms:
    1. the old VFW - video-for-windows (VCM, ACM) platform. Almost entirely 32bit but there are exceptions. Using codecs contained mainly in the AVI container file format.
    2. the newer DirectShow platform. Both 32bit and 64bit. Using codecs contained in the AVI and WMV, and other file formats.
    3. the newest MediaFoundation platform. Both 32bit and 64bit, but predominantly 64bit. Using codecs contained in different file formats (AVI, WMV, MKV, MP4, etc)
    4. the Windows version of Quicktime (32bit only), using codecs contained in the MOV file format. BUT, only a subset of what was available on the Macs (many MOV codecs were Mac-only).
    5. other platforms, such as ffmpeg (32 or 64 bit). It primarily uses codecs that match their supporting containers (e.g. WMV9 uses primarily ASF/WMV container, but also can be in AVI). Though strictly speaking, ffmpeg isn't a platform.

Note: h264 and similar is NOT only a codec, but a FAMILY of codecs in a standard (varying in profile & level). "X264" is a specific codec implementation that supports a subset of those h264 profiles & levels, and works with specific bitness & APIs/platforms. The good thing about using something like h264 (and using a common profile & level such as MP@ML) is that the codec that READS the the compressed stream does not have to be the same as the codec that WRITES the stream, because they are all trying to conform to the same standard.

Bottom line: Your capture app AND your editing app are going to need to agree on EVERYTHING in order to work together (32 vs. 64 bit, platform, supported container, color system & color subsampling.). Though you might skirt some of those issues using a standard like h264.

Because of this, one way you could make your life easier would be by using Premiere Elements as both your capturing and your editing app (yes, it can do both).
    By default, P.E. can only do DV (saved as Type2 DV-AVI) or HDV (saved as MPEG2 TS) as capture formats. If you have a hardware capture device or card, it SHOULD support additional capture options (possibly both codec and container).

HTH,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

Yes, I see the Huffyuv 2.1.1 codec in the Compression dialog under VirtualDub2, 64-bit. When I created my sample VHS capture I was sure to designate that codec.
    It might be an Elements limitation, not sure

I did not personally install Lagarith. It came with Vdub2's bundled program.
    Then you would expect it not to work in other programs; they can't "see" vdub2's folder

I also did not know that H.264 could be lossless. Never heard of that. Where might I find it for download? You mentioned x.264 at “QP1”. I don’t know what “QP1” is. Is that a reference to a website where I might find the version of x264 that you noted?
    I mentioned it several times in your other threads

x264 is bundled with vdub2 "x264 8bit h.264/mpeg-4 AVC" , you can export different containers with vdub2

The VFW version is known as x264 VFW , typically VFW format means AVI container
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/x264-VFW

QP is quantizer parameter. QP 0 is mathematically lossless . Higher values are more lossy, smaller filesizes. QP 1 is the highest quality, but still considered "lossy" .

For realtime capture, you'd usually want a GOP length of 1 (intra), for interlaced don't forget to set the field order (top field first vs. bottom field first)

Premiere pro has no problems with 4:2:2, but Elements might only accept "consumer" 4:2:0 . You have to run some tests

And finally, if you suggest I cease punishing myself and just use “regular” h264 (or X.264), would you suggest I use container MP-4 or AVI? While VirtualDub is limited to AVI, PotPlayer can create video files with either the MP-4 or AVI container, as well as others.
    Either should work fine in intra (I frame mode) . MP4 generally works better overall, especially when a stream has b-frames . When possible, MP4 is preferred

When in MP4 , the field order, aspect ratio are usually conveyed properly , and automatically. AVI container sometimes you need to manual override in the editor
    Quote Quote  
  14. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post

At this point I think using h.264 is what I'll do, but also capture a lossless version for archival purposes.

Finally, since my editing will be in an Adobe editor, and you have mentioned the YUV>RGB conversion problem (0-255 to 16-235) when Adobe is used, and since, at least in PotPlayer I believe I can tell the program to capture VHS as RGB (perhaps "convert to RGB" would be more accurate). Would you suggest I set the capture program to YUV 4.2.2 or to RGB?
    Ideally you want to capture YUV. If you capture in RGB, you have the same RGB clipping problems

I don't know if potplayer does it correctly or cleanly; or if it does some operations in between
    Quote Quote  
  16. ..
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 22nd Mar 2021 at 07:43.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ..
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Avagadro1 View Post
    look at PotPlayer.
    I'd rather not - read up on potplayer discussions and how it "calls home." It's known spyware, as violated GPL ffmpeg licensing in the past (look up "ffmpeg hall of shame"). If it works for you... great

But due to the VirtualDub part, output would have to be AVI whereas you suggest capturing to MP-4.
    The process of capturing AVI is ok for I-frame formats . "AVI" - as a container - is not handled as well in other programs like NLE's. Certain formats like long GOP are more prone to decoding issues in AVI container. If you just re-wrap it into a MP4 container or transport stream, some of those decoding issues go away. Also , there are various issues with metadata handling, field order signalling in AVI container, that tend to be more consistent with MP4 container . AVI will work if you capture as an I-frame format, but you might need to take some extra steps to interpret/override a few things. eg. If you bring a lagarith AVI into Premiere Pro, the field order might be incorrect, you just manually override it. If the aspect ratio is incorrect, you just override it. MP4, especially AVC in MP4, transmit that type of metadata more consistently . The only AVI format that transmits that metadata well is DV-AVI (only because that is part of the codec, not container) - but you're dealing with lossless or near lossless formats, so I'm assuming you want to avoid it
    Quote Quote  
  19. ..
    Quote Quote