VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to video and to VirtualDub.

I have a from-VHS video whose current histogram is greatly squished on both ends. (I am a long-time Photoshop user from which I am very familiar with the tool.)

I observe that VirtualDub has a "Levels" filter (which naturally includes a histogram of the data).

Question: For the VirtualDub Levels/Histogram filter I am describing, is its functionality applied DURING capture or AFTER the video is captured?
    Or, by the very nature of being a "FILTER", does that mean that it is to be applied AFTER capture?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Avagadro1; 15th Aug 2020 at 15:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most VirtualDub filters can be used while capturing (if your computer is fast enough). But VirtualDub's levels filter cannot be used to recover super-blacks and super-brights in YUV video. They are crushed before the filter adjusts levels. Use the Brightness/Contrast filter instead. Even better, use the capture device's video processing amp.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Aug 2020 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you, jagabo.

I've been experimenting on this matter for a couple of hours. As a long-time Photoshopper, I have been testing multiple iterations of the Levels filter while watching the Histogram overlay. After some tinkering, I was able to make the Histogram appear ideal: just about touching, but not smashed against, both the shadow and highlights ends of the graph. Then a bit of adjustment of the mids ---- and the ONSCREEN result is MUCH better than the video as captured from the VHS tape.

What I imply from your message (see above), however, is that I need not be so exacting with respect to the shadow and highlight end points because, unlike in Photoshop, below Y16 and above Y235, there isn't anything anyway.

Nonetheless, since I'm a long-time Photoshopper and thus I cannot help but think in terms of a nice-looking Levels Histogram, for VHS-captured video, is it ok to go through the process of creating a "proper" looking Histogram in the Levels filter.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The filter can sample frames from the whole video and give histogram based on the average levels.
    Use that as a guide to set the levels, if any
    Last edited by davexnet; 16th Aug 2020 at 00:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote