VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to video making, but I think I've got a hang on VSDC, or the parts I'll care about anyway, but I'm having a problem with the text.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Text Problem.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	54521

The text on the left is from an image I made and the right is from VSDC's text tool. (Ignore the middle. It's probably hopeless and makes this question kind of ironic.) It's easiest to tell with the X, but it's a little blurry. If I zoom in out out any it becomes obviously blurry. How do you make it less blurry? (If you need to know the font used, it's from text boxes in Pokemon. Look up Pokemon Pixel Font.)

I'd say sorry if this is in the wrong area, but this is the section for newbies and if you don't know what area to use. I would've asked in the subtitles section, but a look in there gave me a feeling this is different.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by CTNC View Post
    If I zoom in out out any it becomes obviously blurry. How do you make it less blurry?
    Don't zoom in/out. Text with single pixel thick likes like that will always get blurry (or distorted) when resized.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by CTNC View Post
    If I zoom in out out any it becomes obviously blurry. How do you make it less blurry?
    Don't zoom in/out. Text with single pixel thick likes like that will always get blurry (or distorted) when resized.
    It's going to get zoomed in or out on Youtube, so that's not really an option. I want it to be "more perfect" so it gets less distorted.

The main problem is this. See the Capital Ts on the right side? They look like the pillar part is two pixels of white, but it's actually one pixel of white, a lighter shade of grey on the left and an almost invisible dark gray on the right. The left side's Ps really are two pixels thick so they blur less when zoomed.

By the way, if there's no easy way, an idea I had is to use a combination of filters Black and White and Pixelate are ones that look promising. (Please let me know if, for some reason, someone found a combo that works with this text.) If that doesn't work, the worst case scenario is type everything, take a screenshot and edit out off color pixels in Paint, (It's way easer than it sounds if you use copy/paste and change the background color.) save it as an image, then add the image to the video... It would work and I've had worse ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It looks like text antialiasing, or subpixel sampling. Check if there are options to change antialiasing

Your coordinates are all integer numbers in the screenshot, but check if it makes a difference if you keep even numbers. e.g. instead of width of 375 try 374. For height try 162
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you originally had small text like on the left and it became blurry when you zoomed into it on the right. There's no way to avoid blurring or distortion when you do that. If you are using the programs text tool to create new text, yes, turning off antialiasing may give you sharp text.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It looks like text antialiasing, or subpixel sampling. Check if there are options to change antialiasing

Your coordinates are all integer numbers in the screenshot, but check if it makes a difference if you keep even numbers. e.g. instead of width of 375 try 374. For height try 162
    I tried adjusting the pixels and odd numbers are blurrier. I'd try antialiasing, but I can't find an option. I right clicked and looked through all the options and it isn't in basic effects either. The annoying part is the website says it's a thing.

http://www.videosoftdev.com/video-editor-doc/editor-objects/standard-objects/text

The tutorial lets you do some cool things, but from what I can tell, antialiasing isn't one of them. (Still looks fun to mess around with the advance stuff though)

http://www.videosoftdev.com/how-to-add-text-to-your-video-or-an-image

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you originally had small text like on the left and it became blurry when you zoomed into it on the right. There's no way to avoid blurring or distortion when you do that. If you are using the programs text tool to create new text, yes, turning off antialiasing may give you sharp text.
    Misunderstandings happen and I don't blame you for thinking that because I'm new to video editing. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by CTNC View Post
    I'd try antialiasing, but I can't find an option. I right clicked and looked through all the options and it isn't in basic effects either. The annoying part is the website says it's a thing.

http://www.videosoftdev.com/video-editor-doc/editor-objects/standard-objects/text
    Are you using the "free" version? It might be one of those "paid" features that "force" someone to upgrade . Check their user forum too , if they have one

Text
    Antialiasing – this parameter determines if the edges of the text should be smoothed or not.
    If that is the cause - it's most likely a setting with the text itself, not a global setting, otherwise your applied image text would be antialiased as well

Scaling - certain types of scaling algorithms can produce more blurring, or ringing, or antialiasing. If you are scaling the text outside of the text parameters, check if there are options to adjust the scaling parameters
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you using the "free" version? It might be one of those "paid" features that "force" someone to upgrade . Check their user forum too , if they have one

Text
    Antialiasing – this parameter determines if the edges of the text should be smoothed or not.
    If that is the cause - it's most likely a setting with the text itself, not a global setting, otherwise your applied image text would be antialiased as well

Scaling - certain types of scaling algorithms can produce more blurring, or ringing, or antialiasing. If you are scaling the text outside of the text parameters, check if there are options to adjust the scaling parameters
    I didn't see a forum, which is why I came to this general help forum.

This is the free version, but if something's part of the paid version, it says so but still applies it as a preview until you export the video. Also, picture in picture in in the free version, so why would antialiasing for text of all things be locked behind the paid version? (I know weird things are sometimes locked behind paid versions, but this?) I'm kind of suspecting that part of the site is out of date.

Scaling only has horizontal and vertical, no different types.

I think the real problem is I'm trying to remove a quirk with how programs process text. For example, if you take a screenshot of this post and zoom in, you'll see the black pixels have light red on the left side and light blue pixels on the right. The [ doesn't even have pure black pixels in the vertical bit! I think I'm asking something that sounds simple, but is actually stupidly hard or impossible.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by CTNC View Post
    I think the real problem is I'm trying to remove a quirk with how programs process text. For example, if you take a screenshot of this post and zoom in, you'll see the black pixels have light red on the left side and light blue pixels on the right. The [ doesn't even have pure black pixels in the vertical bit! I think I'm asking something that sounds simple, but is actually stupidly hard or impossible.
    That's windows font smoothing. It can be deactivated as an OS setting.

eg.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/126775-enable-disable-font-smoothing-windows.html

zoom in to those screenshots
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    That's windows font smoothing. It can be deactivated as an OS setting.

eg.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/126775-enable-disable-font-smoothing-windows.html

zoom in to those screenshots
    Huh... Neat.

Option One affects Notepad and Paint, but it doesn't affect Microsoft Word for some reason. VSDC is also unaffected, but I think it's because it may have a different way of smoothing. At the very least, this makes copy, paste, save in Paint, paste again much easier. I feel like I can give up on an easy way and do this stupid hard way now that I don't have to edit out weird pixels. Thanks! (I feel like the idea of doing something like that instead of an easy way makes people face palm or die a little inside. Sorry if I made anyone die inside.)

I not sure what Option Two means, but I'm kind of intimidated by needing a download and being "Option Two" makes it sound like it's just the same effect. Is it just the same effect or a "more extreme" way that affects everything?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by CTNC View Post
    I not sure what Option Two means, but I'm kind of intimidated by needing a download and being "Option Two" makes it sound like it's just the same effect. Is it just the same effect or a "more extreme" way that affects everything?
    Option 1 uses the SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe program to change the registry. Option 2 changes the same registry value using a .REG file. They both do exactly the same thing, one with a GUI, the other without.
    Quote Quote