VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I am helping to set up a Windows 10 system for some "old school" user. He is used to using Windows Media Player to watch DVD.
    Other than paying for it at the Microsoft App store, is there free DVD or MPEG2 codec that works with Windows Media Player ?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe try another media player such as VLC (free) ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    maybe try another media player such as VLC (free) ??
    I did install Media Player Classic for him but he didn't like it.
    Hard to teach old dog new tricks.

More update:
    Just remember when I upgraded to Windows 10, I installed MPEG-2 Video Extension from Microsoft App Store for free.
    Manage to find this copy of APPX while googling.
    Last edited by pchan; 10th Aug 2020 at 11:50.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think your client needs to learn how to use software other than Windows 10's Media Player for DVD playback.

Installing Microsoft's MPEG-2 codec would enable MPEG-2 video playback in Windows 10's Media Player but not DVD playback because the ability to navigate the DVD structure and deal with copy protection was supposed to have been removed from Windows 10's Media Player.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Aug 2020 at 15:23. Reason: grammar
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. What about PotPlayer, or another player and WMP skin?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I think your client needs to learn how to use software other than Windows 10's Media Player for DVD playback.

Installing Microsoft's MPEG-2 codec would enable MPEG-2 video playback in Windows 10's Media Player but not DVD playback because the ability to navigate the DVD structure and deal with copy protection was supposed to have been removed from Windows 10's Media Player.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    He hardly owns any copy right protected DVD. He is the video guy among his holidaying friends. So, he makes holiday dvd videos and handed out the DVD discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Install PowerDVD and be done with it.
    Old dogs _CAN_ learn new tricks. I should know.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post

Thanks for the heads up.
    He hardly owns any copy right protected DVD. He is the video guy among his holidaying friends. So, he makes holiday dvd videos and handed out the DVD discs.
    Regardless, a software DVD player still needs the ability to navigate the DVD structure and understand commands, which Windows 10's Media Player cannot do anymore even with a Microsoft MPEG2 codec installed.

Some time ago, I installed a free Microsoft MPEG-2 codec that I obtained from the Windows Store on my Windows 10 PC. To make sure that I correctly remembered what WMP does with a Microsoft MPEG-2 codec installed, I just tried playing some MPEG-2 video files and unprotected DVDs using WMP on that PC. Windows 10's Media Player can play MPEG-2 video files, including VOBs, but it cannot play DVDs.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Install PowerDVD and be done with it.
    Old dogs _CAN_ learn new tricks. I should know.

Scott
    As a person age, for some people, the brain degenerate faster(in this circumstance, I cannot elaborate any further). These people have to make do or cling on to with what they have. Blessed are those who have a sound mind at the age of 70s.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post

Thanks for the heads up.
    Regardless, a software DVD player still needs the ability to navigate the DVD structure and understand commands, which Windows 10's Media Player cannot do anymore even with a Microsoft MPEG2 codec installed.

Some time ago, I installed a free Microsoft MPEG-2 codec that I obtained from the Windows Store on my Windows 10 PC. To make sure that I correctly remembered what WMP does with a Microsoft MPEG-2 codec installed, I just tried playing some MPEG-2 video files and unprotected DVDs using WMP on that PC. Windows 10's Media Player can play MPEG-2 video files, including VOBs, but it cannot play DVDs.
    WMP with MPEG-2 Video Extension should serve him fine. He would scribble the video intro on the whiteboard and take video clip and later stitch it to the main video. Low tech but it works for him. Encode to mpeg2 and burn to DVD.
    Quote Quote