VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. What happened was I had dropped the VIDEO_TS folder into VLC media player and it indicated the whole of the DVD footage had transferred.
    Weird. When dropping the VIDEO_TS folder into the VLC Media Player window, it should just display the menu or read it right away if there's no menu, not copy the whole thing.
    Perhaps it didn't actually copy everything but only what was required to read the first "title" or something.
    One way to verify if the copied folder is identical to the original folder on the disc is to compare them with WinMerge (in "Full contents" mode).

I haven't tried isobuster or any of the other suggestions yet but the ultimate aim is to be able to burn more discs of this video footage rather than just keep in on my hard drive.
    For this an ISO image would be the most convenient and most accurate.

My laptop is upstairs in a small room and the hub is downstairs where my partner's desktop computer is. Unfortunately he won't let me use his for this type of stuff.
    Perhaps he hasn't been upgraded in a long time ! :^D

I have always blamed BT but it could be something to do with that. The laptop is only 2 years old!
    BT ? Bacillus Thuringiensis ? BitTorrent ? British Telecom ?

@ lingyi
    paper labels cause warping and imbalance of the disc that can lead to errors
    and is trying to send a bit for bit copy of the data, leading to failure
    But wouldn't there be some kind of error message in those situations ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ lingyi
    paper labels cause warping and imbalance of the disc that can lead to errors
    and is trying to send a bit for bit copy of the data, leading to failure
    But wouldn't there be some kind of error message in those situations ?[/QUOTE]

Not always. I rarely use Windows file copy (always Teracopy), but as I recall it doesn't always give it error message, it just stops. From what the the OP stated, all the data could have been transferred, but that data could be corrupted on the disc itself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a quick test, download "good old" DVD Shrink and see if it can read the DVD. If it does, you'll be able to examine and play the video and also see if it has been divided into more than one part.
    Last edited by pjcrown; 13th Aug 2020 at 08:34.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I would use IMGBurn and choose copy disc image to hard drive, IMGBurn manages disc drives intelligently and does several automatic retries before it gives up. Once you have the disc image on hard drive using IMGBurn you can copy it back to disc as many times as you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By "BT" I mean British Telecom. Also my partner's system is quite new and was set up piecemeal by a local IT guy. He would prefer nobody else uses it. Like me, a bit of a technophobe and has not had much luck with off the shelf laptops in the past.

First things first I will remove the label. Next I will try once more to transfer the VIDEO_TS file to VLC Media Player and see if it plays all the way through. If that fails again I plan to use one or more of the other suggestions made. IMGBurn sounds like what I might be looking for or ISObuster especially as I will want to burn more discs. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I removed the label from the DVD in warm soapy water. I left it overnight and in the morning the label wasn't coming off very well. I left it another day. Then it would come off if I scraped my finger nail over it but not all the glue came off. I decided to use something a bit more robust - a wet tea towel and had to rub hard to get it off. That was OK but when I looked underneath the disc the playing side seemed to have bits stuck to it. I tried to remove with a soft cloth but no it wasn't coming off. I then got the tea towel again and managed to get most of it off but the underside (the playing side) then seemed to be scratched. It would not play at all let alone transfer or be copied. I managed to get hold of my late brother's disc but would not even attempt to remove the label. I tried that disc in all the things I did with mine and it still failed although in VLC media it went a bit longer but still failed. Obviously all the discs I produced for that project are suspect. I then decided to try and import it into a fairly new video editing suite I have that I haven't even tried yet. It is more up to date than my other one on Windows 7. The import went well and only the final 2 minutes are missing because obviously there are faults on the disc. I want to produce a disc that goes right to the end because at the end of the footage the whole band stands up and are applauded, including my brother, so I really want that if I can get it. So now I plan to use a software that some of you have suggested - ISObuster. Is that the right one that might correct faults in video footage? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The label removal idea was bad advice, IMHO, because your problems didn't line up with what would happen with a badly out-of-balance disc. I've had wobbly discs, (usually from warpage, but also from not getting gripped dead-center by the player) and you can hear and feel the vibration. Also, if you or anyone else thinks they have a disc that is out of balance, the proper thing to do is NOT to remove the label which, as you have found, can lead to more problems and permanently screw up your disc. Instead, simply slow down the speed of the drive when transferring. Limit the speed to 1x, 2x, or 4x during the read. The slower the disc spins, the less any slight imbalance will matter.

However, a paper label is VERY unlikely to cause an unbalance problem.

If you weigh a paper label and then weigh a blank disc, the ratio of the weights is extremely large meaning that a paper label that is off center by a millimeter will make near-zero difference in playback.

Just to complete the thought, the REAL reason paper labels were considered a bad idea (and still are) has NOTHING to do with balance during playback and instead had to do with the possibility that the label would start to peel off, the label would catch on the arm holding the disc in place during playback, and really bad things would happen to the DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The real reason paper labels are problematic is because when the disc is read by the laser the clear plastic face expends from heat but the paper side doesn't expend, that will create a warp on the disc in the paper face direction (the same principal is used in thermo-couples and thermal circuit breakers), When the disc warps the laser lens can no longer lock on the data because its out of its focus range, Unbalance from paper labels can hardly be an issue.

But what you didn't know is that the burned data layer is right underneath the label, it's closer to the label than it is to the clear face, Any minor scratch will cut right into it. In the future if you want to remove paper labels from disc media do not use harsh chemicals and never scrape, Use warm water and regular soap just to get the paper off, any glue left will not be an issue since it will not cause the warp like paper does.

You should give IMGBurn a try, It solved me problems when other programs failed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The real reason paper labels are problematic is because when the disc is read by the laser the clear plastic face expends from heat but the paper side doesn't expend, that will create a warp on the disc in the paper face direction (the same principal is used in thermo-couples and thermal circuit breakers), When the disc warps the laser lens can no longer lock on the data because its out of its focus range, Unbalance from paper labels can hardly be an issue.

But what you didn't know is that the burned data layer is right underneath the label, it's closer to the label than it is to the clear face, Any minor scratch will cut right into it. In the future if you want to remove paper labels from disc media do not use harsh chemicals and never scrape, Use warm water and regular soap just to get the paper off, any glue left will not be an issue since it will not cause the warp like paper does.

You should give IMGBurn a try, It solved me problems when other programs failed.
    oh my. LOL. and the world is flat, right?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    That's true for CDs, but not DVDs in which the data layer is sandwiched between two polycarbonate layers. https://www.google.com/search?q=dvd+structure&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS769US769&source=lnms&tbm..._9TvmLo30pJ56M

I don't know what the OP did that made such a mess of his disc. Especially how the glue got on the bottom. DVDs are really tough compared to CDs because of the sandwiching.

It sounds like the OP either had a bad burn or bad discs. For future discs, only use Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden, the only two remaining top tier media on the market
    Last edited by lingyi; 16th Aug 2020 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for labels causing problems, here are threads with posters describing them: https://www.videohelp.com/search?q=DVD+label+problem&siteurl=forum.videohelp.com&Search=Search

Imbalance is unlikely an issue if the full face label is properly applied. Which is why the full label kits include a jig to center the label. However, there still is the issue of warpage.

Imbalance can be an issue if a small label, such as a address label is applied only to one part of of the disc. Even the small label with a metal strip under it, used keep track of rental discs can be an issue.

Don't know about any "arm" on an optical disc player. If you look a top loading player, the most you may see a little cup that matches up with the center spindle on the bottom. Otherwise, the disc is held onto the spindle by itself. No moving parts above the disc.

Also, I don't know of any way, other than RIPGuard built into an optical drive that allows you slow down the read speed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    oh my. LOL. and the world is flat, right?
    No, square.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Imbalance is unlikely an issue if the full face label is properly applied. Which is why the full label kits include a jig to center the label. However, there still is the issue of warpage.
    Yes warpage is the biggest issue, It gets bad sometimes to the point where the disc edge starts to scrape the top section of the drive compartment, One time I had to use a full 5" drive when it did that in my laptop's drive.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 16th Aug 2020 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try having a go with IMGBurn (still 100% free), In my opinion it still is one of the better software to burn for quality not speed, and is based heavily on DVDDecrypter (was one of the best for ripping anything) for ripping discs. Faulty or otherwise

https://codecpack.co/download/ImgBurn.html

Go to settings , under the READ tab and PAGE 1, change the READ ERRORS settings to Ignore Read Errors (it should rip the disc regardless of any read errors to extract as much video as possible) and try changing the HARDWARE RETRIES to more than 2. That way any issues it will keep trying and might get lucky to get a few extra bits of information from the disc

On the MODE tab choose READ or EZ Mode-Picker choose Create Image File From Disc, then try changing both the read speed mini/max to x1. It will take forever to rip but you will know that the disc is being read as slow as possible. If you leave them as teh defaults it just means IMGBurn will reduce the read speed and keep retrying the read but setting it to x1 means less strain on the drive and more chance of a succesful read. If you've also changed ignore read errors and hardware retries then there isn't much more can be done
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lingyi. I explained precisely what I did with the disc to try and get the label off. I never touched the underside but the bits of label floating in the water managed to get stuck there and would not come off. Why not have a try yourself one day and see how you get on eh? By the way, I am female. The discs in question are Sony and prior to this particular project have never given me any problems. I also use Verbatim as Sony discs are no longer available here.

Steptoe. Thank you for your very helpful post. I am going to uninstall Handbrake and install IMGBurn and see how I get on with that. If that doesn't work, as a very last resort I will look at IsoBuster or perhaps ask my IT guy if there is anything else I can do, but he charges £50 to walk over the doorstep! It may be worth it though just for this.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Don't get discouraged by few distractions, Just take your time and try things one at a time, If you are patient you should get this sorted out without the need to pay someone.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maz1000 View Post
    lingyi. I explained precisely what I did with the disc to try and get the label off. I never touched the underside but the bits of label floating in the water managed to get stuck there and would not come off. Why not have a try yourself one day and see how you get on eh? By the way, I am female. The discs in question are Sony and prior to this particular project have never given me any problems. I also use Verbatim as Sony discs are no longer available here.

Steptoe. Thank you for your very helpful post. I am going to uninstall Handbrake and install IMGBurn and see how I get on with that. If that doesn't work, as a very last resort I will look at IsoBuster or perhaps ask my IT guy if there is anything else I can do, but he charges £50 to walk over the doorstep! It may be worth it though just for this.
    how much of the label have you got left on the disc ??
    you might try very lightly use some baby oil on the sticker
    let it soak and then try removing the sticker
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    october262. Thank you but I have binned the disc. It did not play and I could see the underside was in a bad way. It just seemed the sticky bits in the water had just stuck to the underside of the disc. I now wish I hadn't done it but never mind.

Steptoe. Hi, I downloaded the IMGBurn and when it downloaded it turned out to be something called Wondershare DVD Creator. There were no buttons for READ to enable me to control the speed etc. or anything else to be honest so I just went with it as it was and it recorded the same amount as my newest import facility that I mentioned - cut off around 2 - 3 minutes at the end.

So I then went away and played through the whole of the disc I have from my late brother and it played through brilliantly on my DVD player connected to the TV, so I know the footage is there - every last second of it! I have now googled repairing DVD footage and have come across one that is called DVD Repair and it claims to be able to access damaged footage, whether that be from corrupt burns or anything else. I am now going to download it. It comes from the US but I always think they are better than us at this type of thing. I will let you know how I get on. If this fails, I don't know what else to do so will probably give up. Thanks to you all.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's called www.recoverdisc.com
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have successfully removed labels using soapy water in the past. Don't remember exactly how I did it, but it took a good while to slowly remove the labels.

While Sony discs were good when they were manufacturing their own, later, like most name brand products, they switched to lower tier discs made by different factories and just placed their name on it, making the Sony name worthless. Same with Verbatim. Unless there's the AZO logo on the packaging or the disc, it's a second tier or worse disc with their branding.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    october262. Thank you but I have binned the disc. It did not play and I could see the underside was in a bad way. It just seemed the sticky bits in the water had just stuck to the underside of the disc. I now wish I hadn't done it but never mind.

Steptoe. Hi, I downloaded the IMGBurn and when it downloaded it turned out to be something called Wondershare DVD Creator. There were no buttons for READ to enable me to control the speed etc. or anything else to be honest so I just went with it as it was and it recorded the same amount as my newest import facility that I mentioned - cut off around 2 - 3 minutes at the end.

So I then went away and played through the whole of the disc I have from my late brother and it played through brilliantly on my DVD player connected to the TV, so I know the footage is there - every last second of it! I have now googled repairing DVD footage and have come across one that is called DVD Repair and it claims to be able to access damaged footage, whether that be from corrupt burns or anything else. I am now going to download it. It comes from the US but I always think they are better than us at this type of thing. I will let you know how I get on. If this fails, I don't know what else to do so will probably give up. Thanks to you all.
    Download the real IMGBurn from the link in your post. It links directly to the IMGBurn download on this forum.

As I stated above, a DVD player (hardware or software) is much more tolerant of errors than ripping/copying the data directly from the disc. A last resort would be to record the output of the DVD player with a capture device. You'll lose quality, but at least will be able to save a copy of the video. If you plan to go this route, ask because there may be issues with being able to record the output from the player, especially if there's no analog outputs.

Other than IMGBurn, please stop trying other software and use ISOBuster. It's not cheap at $40, but it's proven to be able to recover that no other software is able to.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Looks like you have redirecting bots on your computer and that's another problem, It's a pain to get rid of unless you know your way around the computer, Try the direct file download from this forum, and hope it won't re-direct you, googling stuff and installing them is one of the causes of having serious problems on computer, most of those programs are filled with viruses, Trojans and malware/adware....etc:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/ImgBurn
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Maz1000 View Post
    So I then went away and played through the whole of the disc I have from my late brother and it played through brilliantly on my DVD player connected to the TV, so I know the footage is there - every last second of it!
    I'm glad you followed my advice from a week ago. As I said back then, if it plays on your DVD player connected to the TV, then the problem is NOT the disc, and it is NOT the label (boy did you get a lot of bad advice which, unfortunately, caused you to degrade one copy of your video).

My other advice still stands: use the appropriate ripping program to have it stitch together the various titlesets and VOB files. I keep saying it: the only problem you have is that the DVD is authored with multiple titlesets (perfectly normal) but that they are arranged in an unusual way. This was very typical of early authoring programs. I have quite a few DVDs that I authored almost twenty years ago which are very difficult (but not impossible!) to bring back into the computer because of the rather strange way the authoring software created titlesets.

It is too bad that you live so far away, but if you want, send to me the copy that you screwed up trying to get the label off and I'll clean it up and then get the video off of it. Send me a PM if you're interested in that. I live in Carmel, CA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The existence of split Multiple titleset videos has nothing to do with problems with rip-ability (actually getting files off the disc and onto a harddrive), unless the ripping app is also stitching. It often DOES have something to do with problems in stitching/reconstruction-in-order.

That's why I suggested ISOBuster, as it would be one of the best options, if not THE best, to do that first part (since this wasn't obfuscated by encryption). Then running DVDDecrypter (not really using the decryption part, but that doesn't matter here), and doing a title extract which can span titlesets. It can demux & output stitched MPEGs (as raw M2V and AC3 streams). Have done this many times before.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The existence of split Multiple titleset videos has nothing to do with problems with rip-ability (actually getting files off the disc and onto a harddrive), unless the ripping app is also stitching. It often DOES have something to do with problems in stitching/reconstruction-in-order.

That's why I suggested ISOBuster, as it would be one of the best options, if not THE best, to do that first part (since this wasn't obfuscated by encryption). Then running DVDDecrypter (not really using the decryption part, but that doesn't matter here), and doing a title extract which can span titlesets. It can demux & output stitched MPEGs (as raw M2V and AC3 streams). Have done this many times before.

Scott
    I totally agree, but I was under the impression that his problem is that once the video is on the hard drive, it plays, but only up to a certain point. I'll admit to not fully understanding exactly what he is doing, but it sounds like he never got an error message saying a file couldn't be copied. He also has not told us whether he has compared the file listing on the DVD to the file listing in his hard drive folder. If they are the same, then I would definitely go back to my theory that he is simply seeing the very common problem of not having the VOB and IFO files brought across correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OP is a she.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    OP is a she.
    I could care less, but I will try to pay more attention to the pronouns I use.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To all. I did a direct download of IMGBurn from this forum but it redirected me. (Why on earth do some people assume I have done something wrong!?). It was no better than other "solutions" I have tried. I have followed advice to the letter including unfortunately by trying to remove a label have ruined one of only 2 discs in existence. My Verbatum discs have the logo on it. Again, you assume that was not the case.

johnmeyer. Very good of you to offer to help if I send the damaged disc to you. I would but I do think it is too badly scratched even though I only used a wet towel on the underside of the disc and not my finger nail. If you really believe you might be able to help I will send it but you should know the underside of the disc does look damaged to me.

I know I said I would try ISOBuster and I will but I have yesterday downloaded something called "Recover Disc" from the US on a months trial but if it works I will keep it. I put the disc in and clicked on "Find Lost Files" and it took all night to do it. The last time I looked was 3.25 this morning and it was then 99% complete. This morning it was complete. It listed 15,345 files found (whatever that means). The next thing I have to do apparently is click on "Extract". I am just following what it says I have to do.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    johnmeyer is correct. I have got most of the footage on to my hard drive but the last 3 minutes is always missing. If all else fails I still have two options left. I could contact the Band Leader direct because I produced several copies for some of the other band members. He is very busy but there is a chance he still has a copy himself. I would then find out if they are all suspect.

My second option would be the last resort. Send my only "good" copy to johnmeyer in the hope he might be able to help. Remember though it has a paper label on it. My view is if I can't rip or copy the disc then it's not really much good to me and I think in those circumstances I would risk sending it airmail (and risk it getting lost!). I will persevere and see what happens. I do appreciate everyone's input but some is contradictory and leaves me wondering which way to go. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know what "Dazzle" is. My brother had this device. It was he who told me (stupidly) not to bother keeping disc images anymore on my hard drive because they take up space. He said if you have even just one disc of a video it can always be copied. That is the precise reason I no longer have the disc image for this footage and therefore cannot burn more discs. He always reckoned he could copy any disc but of course he is no longer here to help me. Just thought I would mention.
    Quote Quote