VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Apologies, I've searched, but I need help.
    I need to convert MTS files to MP4 or WMV format.

I used to use LoiLoFit for everio, given I have a JVC camcorder.
    I have a new laptop and can't find the loilofit CD.
    I've tried a few converter programs from online and the quality of the end viewable product is terrible.

Any quality convertion softwares for MTS or advice on how to replace the LoiLoFit software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    In general, most media formats can be converted to the MKV container without converting (and without losing quality of) the content formats, using MKVtoolnixGUI.

Converting to the MP4 container is also often possible, if the content formats are compatible to this container's constraints. I guess BOX4 may help, or several GUIs for ffmpeg.

A conversion to WMV will most probably require the conversion of the content, which will reduce the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    In general, most media formats can be converted to the MKV container without converting (and without losing quality of) the content formats, using MKVtoolnixGUI.

Converting to the MP4 container is also often possible, if the content formats are compatible to this container's constraints. I guess BOX4 may help, or several GUIs for ffmpeg.

A conversion to WMV will most probably require the conversion of the content, which will reduce the quality.
    If I download, how is quality impacted when uploading to youtube, fb and the like?
    (I'm assuming it provides edit and add functions to produce a final product)
    Quote Quote  
  4. The MTS files from most camcorders can simply be rewrapped as mp4, no conversion necessary. Shutter Encoder is a good ffmpeg front end that has a rewrap function built in.

But the best way to do it really depends on how you are planning to use those "converted" files and whether you have any spanned clips.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If I trim, etc straight from MTS the result is terrible (fractured and jagged), so I used to convert from MTS to WMV via LoiLoFit and then use (old) movie maker, with the final quality not too bad.
    Would you recommend Shutter Encoder to get me to a reasonable quality finish.
    I just video sports my kids play, but I've been at it for a few years:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcb3VyfAaWeCkZkuHTiU_wA
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Please learn the facts about "interlaced video". Editing them requires both at least basic support by the software and basic understanding by the user. Especially for uploading them to video portals in the internet, it is often advisable to deinterlace the material; but there are several different methods to do that, with different side effects in the result.

Always upload with high quality and a bitrate you can afford waiting for to be transferred. Video portals like YouTube will recode whatever material got uploaded, which will degrade the quality, but may be necessary to optimize the content for streaming through a network with a lower bandwidth. This requires different constraints than watching video from a fast local drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by David Mullins View Post
    If I trim, etc straight from MTS the result is terrible (fractured and jagged), so I used to convert from MTS to WMV via LoiLoFit and then use (old) movie maker, with the final quality not too bad.
    Sounds like you're cutting long-GOP material on a non i-frame. Try using a modern NLE like Magix Movie Edit Pro or Davinci Resolve (free if your system is up to it.) You should be able to load your MTS files directly into either.
    Quote Quote