VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I am pretty noob with ffmpeg. I have more than a thousand .flv files, the size of each of which varies from 1GB to 11GB, downloaded using Streamlink. I was wondering if anyone here can help me write a .bat script that will split all of those video files into parts/pieces, each of which should not be more than 500 MB, without re-encoding, and keeping the original filenames with just a suffix added (part1, part2...). It would be better if the script can also delete the original files after processing them, though, not necessary.

For example, a 4000 MB file, named "example.flv", after splitting, results in 8 files, named "example_part1.flv", "example_part2.flv", and so on, each of which is 500 MB.

Below are the details of one of the videos, using MediaInfo:
    Code:
    General
    ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name                            : G:\Streamlink\102906.flv
    Format                                   : MPEG-TS
    File size                                : 4.61 GiB
    Duration                                 : 1 h 28 min
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 7 437 kb/s
    FileExtension_Invalid                    : ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty

Video
    ID                                       : 256 (0x100)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.2
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames               : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
    Codec ID                                 : 27
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 60.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive

Audio
    ID                                       : 257 (0x101)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version                           : Version 4
    Format profile                           : LC
    Muxing mode                              : ADTS
    Codec ID                                 : 15
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : -5 ms

All the videos have the same format/codec but varying frame rates and resolutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know anything about flv, but it looks like your files could be put in a mp4 container ?

Try muxing one of your files to mp4 to see if it plays ok (or mkv with mkvtoolnix if it doesn't work).

Also how do you want to cut, as playable clips ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    I don't know anything about flv, but it looks like your files could be put in a mp4 container ?

Try muxing one of your files to mp4 to see if it plays ok (or mkv with mkvtoolnix if it doesn't work).
    Hello,
    Thanks for the response.
    I used avidemux to open up one of the small clips. I set the Video Output and Audio Output to "Copy" and changed the Output Format to "MP4 muxer" and saved it, which took less than a second. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the playback. The duration of both the files is the same, however, the mp4 file has a reduced file size of 94.6 MB, compared to the 97.9 MB on the flv.

Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    Also how do you want to cut, as playable clips ?
    I didn't clearly understand your question. I just wanted to split all of the videos into parts of not more than 500 MB. And all parts should be separate clips that can be playable independently. Also, I want all of the videos to process in one go, as there are way too many of them. I found a similar thread on a different forum which probably has a solution to my problem, but I, being an ffmpeg newbie, was unable to figure out how to modify those commands/script to my requirement. That thread can be found here.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. What's your OS ?

What you want is as follows:
    - input: 4000 MB file, named "example.flv"
    - output: "example_part1.mp4", "example_part2.mp4", and so on, each of which is <=500 MB.

1. The operation will be lossless (no recompression required, just remux)
    2. For the clips to be playable you must cut on keyframes which is the default with ffmpeg.
    3. Cutting based on duration may however be more common with ffmpeg ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    What's your OS ?
    I am mainly on Windows 10, and also have access to macOS High Sierra (thanks to the Hackintosh community).

What you want is as follows:
    - input: 4000 MB file, named "example.flv"
    - output: "example_part1.mp4", "example_part2.mp4", and so on, each of which is <=500 MB.
    Yes, that is what I want.

2. For the clips to be playable you must cut on keyframes which is the default with ffmpeg.
    I have no problems with that as long as the files are at most 512 MB in size, which is why I have kept 500 MB the target.

3. Cutting based on duration may however be more common with ffmpeg ?
    The problem is that there are more than a thousand videos, each of which vary heavily in duration and size, and every 1 out of 8 clips vary in frame rate, resolution and bitrate. All I want is to split them up in parts of less than 500 MB.
    Last edited by manav; 5th Aug 2020 at 12:18.
    Quote Quote  
  6. - Windows batch file is .bat.

- I have not split based on filesize with ffmpeg. Someone here might know how to do it, or not.

- As a backup solution, mkvtoolnix does have an option to split on filesize. mkvmerge is the command line tool.
    The output is mkv, but you could transform mkv to any format with ffmpeg.

- take your time to do the conversion and check the result before you start deleting.
    Most of your files might convert fine, but you could still have issues with others if the format is different for any reason.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Did you try something like this ?
    Code:
    FOR %F in (*.flv) DO mp4box -add "%F" -split-size 512000 -new "%~nF.mp4"
    With mkvmerge if I'm not mistaken it should be something like :
    Code:
    FOR %F in (*.flv) DO mkvmerge --output "%~nF.mkv" "%F" --split size:500M
    These commands should work from the command prompt (cmd). To run them as batch scripts (.bat) each "percent" sign (%) must be doubled (%%).

As it's been mentioned those files are not truly "FLV", but MPEG-TS.

The duration of both the files is the same, however, the mp4 file has a reduced file size of 94.6 MB, compared to the 97.9 MB on the flv.
    It is normal that the size is slightly reduced when converting from MPEG-TS to a container with less "overhead" like MP4 or MKV (a MKV is usually slightly smaller than MP4 with the same content).
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 5th Aug 2020 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    - Windows batch file is .bat.

- I have not split based on filesize with ffmpeg. Someone here might know how to do it, or not.

- As a backup solution, mkvtoolnix does have an option to split on filesize. mkvmerge is the command line tool.
    The output is mkv, but you could transform mkv to any format with ffmpeg.

- take your time to do the conversion and check the result before you start deleting.
    Most of your files might convert fine, but you could still have issues with others if the format is different for any reason.
    No problem. Thanks for your precious time and all of the information you've provided.

Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Did you try something like this ?
    Code:
    With mkvmerge if I'm not mistaken it should be something like :
    Code:
    These commands should work from the command prompt (cmd). To run them as batch scripts (.bat) each "percent" sign (%) must be doubled (%%).

As it's been mentioned those files are not truly "FLV", but MPEG-TS.

The duration of both the files is the same, however, the mp4 file has a reduced file size of 94.6 MB, compared to the 97.9 MB on the flv.
    It is normal that the size is slightly reduced when converting from MPEG-TS to a container with less "overhead" like MP4 or MKV (a MKV is usually slightly smaller than MP4 with the same content).
    Thanks, I'll test these commands and report back in a while.
    Last edited by manav; 6th Aug 2020 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, so here are the results. Tested with a single flv in the folder.
    Input file size: 4.61GB

With
    Code:
    in ffmpeg
    Time taken: Around 15 minutes
    Output: A single mp4 file, the size of which was 4.46 GB, with "001" added as suffix.
    CMD window Screenshots:
    While processing: https://imgur.com/sNht0xh
    The last line which is something like
    Code:
    Import: |==============| (100/100)
    kept blinking on the screen for 15 minutes.
    After Processing: https://imgur.com/AZSCKY4
    Conclusion: Didn't work as expected.

With
    Code:
    in mkvmerge/mkvtoolnix
    Time taken: About 2 minutes
    Output: 10 mkv files, with the last one being 73.2 MB in size, and the other 9 being 500 MB. Total size of all the files was 4.46 GB, same as the previous mp4 output with ffmpeg which was just a single file.
    CMD window Screenshot after processing:https://imgur.com/ZTK0CfR
    Conclusion: Working perfectly as I wanted.

I later tested out the mkvmerge command with multiple flv's in the folder, and it worked perfectly. Thanks a ton, abolibibelot. You're a legend!
    Last edited by manav; 6th Aug 2020 at 10:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. in ffmpeg
    same as the previous mp4 output with ffmpeg which was just a single file
    You mean, mp4box. It may be possible to do this with ffmpeg but I don't know how.

Conclusion: Didn't work as expected.
    Not sure, mp4box often has trouble dealing with input files which are not already in MP4 container. I just tested with a MP4 file, it worked as intended (with a 435MB input file and -split-size 51200 it generated 8 files with sizes ranging from 50400KB to 50784KB and a 9th with a size of 40932KB).

in mkvmerge/mkvtoolnix
    Conclusion: Working perfectly as I wanted.
    Thanks a ton, abolibibelot. You're a legend!
    Well, at least I did sumpting useful yesterday !
    It may be a tad excessive for a little tip, but I could use some cheering up these days...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    You mean, mp4box.
    Yeah, lol. As I have already told, I am noob with this stuff. I don't even have ffmpeg properly installed. Instead, I had just put the three .exe files (that come inside the ffmpeg folder) into the folder where my videos were stored in, and I was shift+right-clicking to run command prompt directly. I thought that first command is for ffmpeg only, and thus, was referring to the same.

Currently, I have put the mkvtoolnix files inside the videos' folder, along with the .bat file containing the command, and everything is working like a charm. Splitting all of those videos is a cake-walk now. I am constantly downloading GBs of videos/streams daily, so this was very much needed. In addition to that, output files being mkv is also proving to be beneficial because of a little lower size, and also because it has made it easy to group the files in file explorer. Attached a screenshot of the folder.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	54408  

Last edited by manav; 6th Aug 2020 at 17:35.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't even have ffmpeg properly installed.
    Command line programs don't need to be “installed”, strictly speaking, but it's more convenient to have them in the so-called Windows “PATH”.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/118594/how-to-edit-your-system-path-for-easy-command-line-access/
    On my system I included a single “CLI” directory in the “PATH”, and then I put in that directory a hard link of all frequently used executables.
    Using hard links instead of simply copying the files reduces unnecessary clutter on the system partition (considering that some of these files can be quite large, for instance ffmpeg which is now about 60MB – and it's becoming quite an issue by the way since many programs which rely on ffmpeg each add a copy of ffmpeg.exe to their own directory, and so I might have at least a dozen copies of ffmpeg.exe on my system, which amounts to at least 700MB...).
    LinkShellExtension makes it easy to create them.
    https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
    Otherwise, it's still possible to launch a CLI program by typing its complete path in the command. It's just more convenient to type only the name of the command / executable, when using a particular command regularly.
    Code:
    FOR %F in (*.flv) DO "C:\wherever in the godforsaken mess\of this unholy computer\that damn program may be\mkvmerge.exe" --output "%~nF.mkv" "%F" --split size:500M
    Yet another possibilty, opening the executable's path in the command prompt before running the command with “CD”, then specifying the directory where the input files are located with “/R” :
    Code:
    CD "C:\wherever in the godforsaken mess\of this unholy computer\that damn program may be"
    FOR /R "G:\Streamlink" %F in (*.flv) DO mkvmerge --output "%~nF.mkv" "%F" --split size:500M
    # note : /R stands for "recursive", so this command would also process any subfolder inside "Streamlink"
    Instead, I had just put the three .exe files (that come inside the ffmpeg folder) into the folder where my videos were stored in
    To run ffmpeg, only the ffmpeg.exe file would be required. But if the mp4box command worked (even though it failed) that means that you already have the mp4box executable somewhere in your system's “PATH”. (Possibly inside “Program Files”.)
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 6th Aug 2020 at 18:46.
    Quote Quote