VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a problem with capturing VHS tapes to MEP 2015 via Firewire. I have installed the Legacy Firewire driver for my WIN 10 desktop computer, and have used my Canon Elura 60 camcorder to capture the tapes made with the camcorder with MEP, with no problem. However, when I attached my VCR to the camcorder to use that device to capture the VHS video via Firewire to MEP, nothing was captured or even shown on the MEP preview screen. (The camcorder manual specifically says that it is designed to capture and digitize analog video with the camcorder.) The MEP interface shows that the device is recognized (“Microsoft DV camera and VCR” – see screenshot).
    My ultimate goal is to use a recently purchased Canopus ADVC300 video converter as the interface between the VCR and MEP, which also uses a Firewire connection. When I hooked up that setup, MEP also seemed to recognize the device (“AV/C Tape recorder/player”-see screenshot, with Canopus window showing VCR feed). I am not sure if this is the correct device designation, however. Other posts suggest that different selections can be made with the dropdown box, but MEP doesn’t offer any selections, it just chooses one for the connected device, with no other options.
    Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I am willing to upgrade my MEP if needed.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MEP 2015 screen shot- vcr through dv camera.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	54347  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MEP 2015 screen shot-vcr through advc 300.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	54348  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For any camera to work in this way it has to 'pass-through' the analog signal from the vcr to the PC. So you have to check your camera's manual for any input setting.

Rather than try to use that software, I would suggest using WinDV to transfer the video to the PC and use your software for the editing. That you can see the video in the preview shows that the ADVC is working and is correctly set for analog-in (I found that I had to invoke the Picture Controller software that comes with the ADVC (simpler to use than fiddle with all the buttons in the top)

The device name is correct.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will certainly give that a try, if it is still available for download. When using the Canopus device, I was connecting to the PC directly via Firewire, bypassing the camcorder. I mentioned the camcorder (which was set up properly, per the manual), as I thought that this may be a Firewire issue that I was unaware of, since both methods weren't working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you wrote that the camera was working and I assumed you meant with a DV tape so it was set for output.

WinDV should still be available. You only have to click on the software name and this takes you direct to the software for download.

There have been some recent writings in the forum that Microsoft removed support for firewire in a recent update for Win10. But, if, again, I read you correctly transfer was possible with the camera so should also be possible with other DV devices such as the ADVC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You are correct, Win10 doesn't support Firewire anymore, but there is a fix, using Win 8.1 "legacy" drivers, to get around that. I downloaded WinDV and have yet to try it out. Hopefully, it will work with Win10, as it was produced for earlier versions of Windows. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for your help. I was able to capture the video using the ADVC300 directly to the computer with WinDV, just as you suggested (and needed to use the ADVC software to make it all work). Do you know of any good tutorials for the ADVC? I am new to this, and find the manual confusing, with jargon I don't understand. When I try to adjust the various settings with the software, I can't see any real change in the video (other than the basic color/contrast, etc adjustments), at least not as far as getting an overall sharper video. It is definitely better than the USB capture cards that I first used, and got rid of OOS errors. Or am I expecting too much with the basic VHS material that I have?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am glad to read that it is now working for you.

Yes, the manual is confusing and essentially the unit, which is long OOP - I acquired mine new in 2007/8 - is targeted at people who know what the various settings mean. Some I know (or have gleaned by reading here) and some I do not. So I tend to leave many at default.

In the distant past I recall a topic in the long-closed Canopus/Grass Valley forum that actually went a long way to explain each setting.

If there is any particular setting that you might want more info on then fire away. I, or even someone else who sees the topic, might be able to assist.

But let me just add one caveat. DV is a legacy format. Twas fine 15/20 or so years ago but there are better ways to capture VHS these days even with half-decent usb devices. Matters are compounded with NTSC sources which limit color-space (PAL sources fair much better). In fact when I do capture these days I often use the ADVC to clean up the signal but actually capture losslessly with a usb device.
    Quote Quote