VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    After booting windows 7 there is a delay of up to 1 min before applications connect to the internet. I tried troubleshooting one by one the applications that load with windows startup, but I can't figure out if one of these is causing the delay. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What applications are connecting to the internet without any input from you and why are they doing that? No application, other than Windows Automatic Update (if you have it so configured, which I recommend against), should be connecting to the internet "sua sponte".

What happens if you try to launch a browser immediately after Windows has loaded, how long does it take to resolve the request? It could be a DHCP issue, immediately after booting up, open a terminal and type "ping www.google.com", see how long it takes to complete, if it's immediate, then you are connecting to the internet immediately.

I can think of a bunch of things but first and foremost is that nothing should be connecting to the internet without your prompting, the only thing that should happen is the NIC driver should be loaded and DHCP should be up and running. After that it should be after you if an application connects to the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Applications that are connecting to the internet without any input are for example Skype.exe and SamsungMagician.exe. I see these attempts as they are trying to pass through the firewall.

The problem happens often, but not always. When it does happen, if I try to launch a browser immediately after Windows loaded, it does not resolve the request and the message "This page can’t be displayed" appears. If I try to "ping www.google.com" I get "Request timed out" messages.

[Attachment 54383 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 54384 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Slow DHCP? Also, if you are using an alternate config for your nic then it has to wait for dhcp to time out before switching to the alternate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is your internet connection wired or wireless?

Follow these directions for Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15089/windows-change-tcp-ip-settings#:~:text=...%20connections.

Also check Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Services and make sure DHCP Client is set to automatic.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Standard configuration for Network Interface Card. Wired internet connection. DHCP Client service is set to automatic.
    Quote Quote