VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there anybody who owns the new canon 1dx or r5 who has experience editing raw 4k, 5.5k video on computer? Some people claim that rendering footage and editing is extremely hard because of the computing demand of footage? Any real life experience? Raw is great but useless if computers are not up to the task...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I do not own said camera but have been editing video as a hobby for years and routinely play around with Black Magic's 6k ProRes samples, though I have rarely work with RAW.

The truth of the matter is that working with certain formats, like RAW, certain ProRes variants, JPEG2000 and some others is extremely demanding.

As for "Raw is great but useless if computers are not up to the task...", this is kind of a silly statement, with enough money you can build a system powerful enough to work with these formats, the cameras you mentioned are about 5 grand, if you're going to spend that much on a camera, which could be considered professional grade, then you can certainly afford to spend what's needed to build a decent system.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I do not own said camera but have been editing video as a hobby for years and routinely play around with Black Magic's 6k ProRes samples, though I have rarely work with RAW.

The truth of the matter is that working with certain formats, like RAW, certain ProRes variants, JPEG2000 and some others is extremely demanding.

As for "Raw is great but useless if computers are not up to the task...", this is kind of a silly statement, with enough money you can build a system powerful enough to work with these formats, the cameras you mentioned are about 5 grand, if you're going to spend that much on a camera, which could be considered professional grade, then you can certainly afford to spend what's needed to build a decent system.

Thanks! I will look into updating the processor and the GPU.
    Quote Quote