VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys how can i get rid of this blue screens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciPUJ1h8GRQ
    Using Easycap.Tryed many software,in VirtualDub even cant choose video source(empty space)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The problem is your VCR not locking on tracking, Clean the VCR tape path, just google it if you don't know how.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cleaned with special cassette still the same
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tape creased on the edge?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Cleaning tape does not clean a severely dirty VCR, You need to clean the stationary audio/sync pulse head with qtips and alcohol until all the gunk is removed, also check the sync pulse head ribbon cable, firmly attached and no corrosion in the pins. Look up your model to learn all parts locations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    with qtips

NOT Q-TIPS!

Non-cotton swabs, either foam or chamois. Cotton destroys heads, pulls on them, leaves fibers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    On the right side of the video drum, it looks like an audio cassette head with a ribbon cable attached to it, clean all the area that touches the video tape.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    with qtips

NOT Q-TIPS!

Non-cotton swabs, either foam or chamois. Cotton destroys heads, pulls on them, leaves fibers.
    +1
    Chamois best, foam ok, Q-tips NO! They easily shed fibers that can clog video heads making matters worse. Also never use a up/down motion when cleaning the heads, left to right(around the circumference of the drum) will reduce the chance of breaking the very delicate video heads, well I guess hi-fi heads too if you happen to have one of those fancy Hi-Fi machines Most of my circa early 80s VCRs are mono only, great 70 micron video heads but mono only.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Done,audio is better but still problem with image,blue screen appear and disappear
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    with qtips

NOT Q-TIPS!

There is nothing wrong with using qtips on the stationary head, My post was not even that long to just gloss over.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by akriosss View Post
    Done,audio is better but still problem with image,blue screen appear and disappear
    If alcohol couldn't get the gunk out of the stationary head try WD-40, wet the q-tip away from the VCR and clean the stationary head, The sync pulse head is the one on the bottom, finish up with alcohol to remove WD-40 from the head. Don't worry about the video head it's already clean as seen in your video.

If the problem persists, possibly bad pinch roller, Observe the tape while moving across the audio head, does it look stable as it moves or wavy?
    Another possible reason is that the VCR is trying to lock in automatic tracking but it can't due to badly recorded tape, Try to disable the auto tracking if available, Some VCR's use Ch+/Ch- to engage manual tracking.

Last edited by dellsam34; 2nd Aug 2020 at 01:15.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Have you tried these two thing?

1. Go to the VCR menu and see if there is an option to turn off the blue screen. Philips and JVC VCRs let you do that. This will let you see a picture, even when it is breaking up. See #2 to find out why this important.

2. Manually adjust the tracking while playing the tape. You may be able to get the picture to lock in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The VCR is junk. Lots of wasted effort for a POS. WD40? Better yet, gasoline and a match.

Easycap isn't helping the situation.

These conversions will be unwatchable garbage. The sample is for sure -- even the "good" parts.

My post may seem harsh, I realize that, but this thread needs a smack back to reality. This is a road to nowhere.

If you waste your time doing this bad job, you'll either redo it later (kept tapes), or smack yourself later (threw out tapes) if family relatives don't beat you senseless first.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    1. Go to the VCR menu and see if there is an option to turn off the blue screen. Philips and JVC VCRs let you do that. This will let you see a picture, even when it is breaking up. See #2 to find out why this important.
    It looks like a newer Panasonic VCR, as far as I know they don't let you turn it off.

Another things you can try is to re-seat and clean the ribbon cable that goes from the A/C head to the PCB, including the contacts. (WIth isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaning spray).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    WD40? Better yet, gasoline and a match.
    I have repaired VCR's as many times as I ate cakes, and trust me the crap buildup over the years on abused VCR's is not easy to remove with an average man approach, had to use WD-40 on q-tip for non moving parts many many times with 100% success.
    Even if the VCR is low end, what's wrong with repairing it, can be used for other purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if the VCR is low end, what's wrong with repairing it, can be used for other purposes.
    For off-book uses, the decks are great.
    DIY mold removal, done correctly and safely, is one use.
    Quote Quote