VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to convert old vhs tapes so that i can burn dvd as backup and put on qnap storage device to look at on ipad , family can log onto qnap and look on my tv.

My set up is vhs composite to sony tr460 to fireware connector to win 7 64 laptop

From my reading on this forum :
    Vurtual dub with lagarith making avi file then handbreak to mp4 file conversion then send to qnap, find way to burn a dvd ?.

Does this sound good or any other suggestions will greatly be appreciated

Thanks all for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Nickv48 View Post

From my reading on this forum :
    Vurtual dub with lagarith making avi file then handbreak to mp4 file conversion then send to qnap, find way to burn a dvd ?.

Does this sound good...
    No. If the goal is to create a DVD playable in DVD players, then you don't want to create an intermediate MP4. You'd want to go directly from Lagarith to DVD, perhaps doing some editing and filtering on the way. Maybe take your Lagarith AVI and feed it into AVSToDVD.

If all you want is to burn that MP4 to DVD as a data disc, then that's something else, but I don't think that's your intent. Or take the Lagarith AVI and make both MP4 and DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to go down the vdub/lagarith route you can not use your camera/firewire setup. Vdub can capture with these but you end up with a DV.avi just as you would using WinDV

You can still use handbrake to convert to mp4. DVD creation can be done with avstodvd and imgburn for the actual burn to disk.

To use lagarith you would need at the very least a usb capture device such as a Hauppauge USB-Live2. Avoid cheap devices since results are variable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Vdub can capture with these but you end up with a DV.avi just as you would using WinDV
    Good point. I missed that. Once Firewire is involved, you'll get a DV AVI.
    Quote Quote