VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Thread
  1. One of my clients want me to provide live feed of the wedding ceremony they are going to have on the beach.
    I would like to use my 5d mark iv to record and provide the feed into OBS Studio software. I am planning to use my mobile internet on my phone. I would like to set up my phone as hot spot and connect my notebook to my phone.

    - My question is how to make sure I have strong internet to support the upstream data??? I don't have mobile wifi? The location is 2 hours away from my home. I can go and test the speed but I would rather not to.
    What do you do when you live stream an event? How do you make sure you have a strong signal?
    Quote Quote  
  2. aBigMeanie aedipuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    666th portal
    Search Comp PM
    upstream to where? are the watchers going to be given your ip and your device is supposed to provide the bandwidth? and unless you go to the exact spot your phone is going to be you don't even know if you'll have any signal coverage at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    I can see all kinds of problems in this having to do not just with the stream QoS & connection reliability but also of battery/power, heat, sand, etc.

    Go there well ahead of time (weeks?) and do (multiple) practice runs.


    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    One of my clients want me to provide live feed of the wedding ceremony they are going to have on the beach.
    I would like to use my 5d mark iv to record and provide the feed into OBS Studio software. I am planning to use my mobile internet on my phone. I would like to set up my phone as hot spot and connect my notebook to my phone.

    - My question is how to make sure I have strong internet to support the upstream data??? I don't have mobile wifi? The location is 2 hours away from my home. I can go and test the speed but I would rather not to.
    What do you do when you live stream an event? How do you make sure you have a strong signal?
    Maybe I'm missing something but are you planning on live streaming the wedding using your cell phone's internet connection?!?

    I can't possibly be reading your question right.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Methinks you read right.


    The OP appears reluctant to visit the location in advance and that may be understandable given the current situation. The current situation might even make him think of doing this at all.


    But he needs to do some research and try to find the answers of how those that live-stream on a semi-regular basis do it. For example I have come across one 'tv' channel, not a million miles from the OPs location, that has regularily filmed live in various locations and in HD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    upstream to where? are the watchers going to be given your ip and your device is supposed to provide the bandwidth? and unless you go to the exact spot your phone is going to be you don't even know if you'll have any signal coverage at all.
    DSLR video to computer, Wireless microphone signal to computer. From computer to youtube. I apologize for not being clear.
    I totally agree. I need to test the spot.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I can see all kinds of problems in this having to do not just with the stream QoS & connection reliability but also of battery/power, heat, sand, etc.

    Go there well ahead of time (weeks?) and do (multiple) practice runs.


    Scott
    I guess I have to do it in advance! What do you suggest if mobile data coverage is weak?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    One of my clients want me to provide live feed of the wedding ceremony they are going to have on the beach.
    I would like to use my 5d mark iv to record and provide the feed into OBS Studio software. I am planning to use my mobile internet on my phone. I would like to set up my phone as hot spot and connect my notebook to my phone.

    - My question is how to make sure I have strong internet to support the upstream data??? I don't have mobile wifi? The location is 2 hours away from my home. I can go and test the speed but I would rather not to.
    What do you do when you live stream an event? How do you make sure you have a strong signal?
    Maybe I'm missing something but are you planning on live streaming the wedding using your cell phone's internet connection?!?

    I can't possibly be reading your question right.
    Yes, reading it right. I guess that answer is that it is not possible because mobile cell phone internet connection is not strong enough...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Methinks you read right.


    The OP appears reluctant to visit the location in advance and that may be understandable given the current situation. The current situation might even make him think of doing this at all.


    But he needs to do some research and try to find the answers of how those that live-stream on a semi-regular basis do it. For example I have come across one 'tv' channel, not a million miles from the OPs location, that has regularily filmed live in various locations and in HD.
    Yes, I am not sure that I want to do a lot of travel until the bug goes away...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Methinks you read right.


    The OP appears reluctant to visit the location in advance and that may be understandable given the current situation. The current situation might even make him think of doing this at all.


    But he needs to do some research and try to find the answers of how those that live-stream on a semi-regular basis do it. For example I have come across one 'tv' channel, not a million miles from the OPs location, that has regularily filmed live in various locations and in HD.
    Yes, I am not sure that I want to do a lot of travel until the bug goes away...
    would one of those data only mobile hotspot devices work any better ??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Methinks you read right.


    The OP appears reluctant to visit the location in advance and that may be understandable given the current situation. The current situation might even make him think of doing this at all.


    But he needs to do some research and try to find the answers of how those that live-stream on a semi-regular basis do it. For example I have come across one 'tv' channel, not a million miles from the OPs location, that has regularily filmed live in various locations and in HD.
    Yes, I am not sure that I want to do a lot of travel until the bug goes away...
    would one of those data only mobile hotspot devices work any better ??
    Great question! Does anybody here used any of those mobile hotspot devices for streaming 1080p video on youtube?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Even so, does your stream need to be 1080P ?


    I daily watch a live-stream on yt. Perfectably watchable in 720P (and much less bandwidth required)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Start by testing, at home, with a wired computer connection, uploading to YT/FBlive/Vimeo/etc.
    Then do a test, at home, using a wifi computer connection.
    Then do a test, at home, using NOT your normal home wifi, but a mobile hotspot (phone or otherwise) connection.
    Then test again and again, to see how far you can increase the distance between the phone/hotspot and the laptop and still have reliable connection.
    Then see whether your provider has towers near enough to the beach area so that you will have decent mobile signal strenth & reliability.

    If that process starts to fail early-on, you'll know you have to get a wired, or (normal) wifi PC connection (extension cords, router, etc. to something semi-nearby), whether your own or rented.

    Note: Download streaming is much less demanding and usually more generous in bandwidth than Upload streaming (which is what you'll be doing).

    Again, you'll have to also see whether battery power (both phone & computer) will hold up, and those issues will be exaccerbated by the elements (heat/sun, wind, sand).

    You may also need to have gauze filters, gobos, or sunshades erected if the contrast is too stark.
    Another reason to actually visit the site (or a site very similar).

    I would also suggest that both during the tests and at the event that you have a "confidence" monitor, aka download stream checker on an altogether different device.


    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Even so, does your stream need to be 1080P ?


    I daily watch a live-stream on yt. Perfectably watchable in 720P (and much less bandwidth required)
    You are right. They don't need to watch it on 1080p!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Start by testing, at home, with a wired computer connection, uploading to YT/FBlive/Vimeo/etc.
    Then do a test, at home, using a wifi computer connection.
    Then do a test, at home, using NOT your normal home wifi, but a mobile hotspot (phone or otherwise) connection.
    Then test again and again, to see how far you can increase the distance between the phone/hotspot and the laptop and still have reliable connection.
    Then see whether your provider has towers near enough to the beach area so that you will have decent mobile signal strenth & reliability.

    If that process starts to fail early-on, you'll know you have to get a wired, or (normal) wifi PC connection (extension cords, router, etc. to something semi-nearby), whether your own or rented.

    Note: Download streaming is much less demanding and usually more generous in bandwidth than Upload streaming (which is what you'll be doing).

    Again, you'll have to also see whether battery power (both phone & computer) will hold up, and those issues will be exaccerbated by the elements (heat/sun, wind, sand).

    You may also need to have gauze filters, gobos, or sunshades erected if the contrast is too stark.
    Another reason to actually visit the site (or a site very similar).

    I would also suggest that both during the tests and at the event that you have a "confidence" monitor, aka download stream checker on an altogether different device.


    Scott

    You have summarized it. Testing, testing and more testing.....I will test the system on the wedding location and I may have to get a dedicated hotspot separate from my phone...
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads