VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Yet another update to the list. Just an updated to my DVD-R media report. DVD Burner (DVR-A04) and figured I'd post a message here with the results I've had with various media brands. I have tried several brands of disk so far with widely varied results. I figured you guys could also toss in your two cents. The idea is to find the cheapest brand that WORKS, I don't personally care about the 1x 2x thing, but 2x would be nice.

Smartdisk DVD-R: Purchased from CompUSA for $4US each in 5 packs. (meaning 20 dollars per 5 pack) So far the seem perfect, burn a full DVD-R and it seems to play find in my Apex AD-1500 (haven't tested other players yet) BUT only burns at 1x. Good for a quick pickup if your compusa carries them and you dont have time to mail order.

ESbuy Generic Media: After ordering another 8 of these I've had zero problems with them, they burn at 1x, but personally thats not a big deal. Others have reproted pixilization with them and this seems to be settop player specific as I'm starting to think alot of the dvd-r media problems are. I've tested them on the Apex AD-1500 as well as the cheap bestbuy player brand (can't remember its name). They also played perfectly on my cousins Panasonic DVD player, as well as my PC.

Mertline.com Pro disk: Ick! Been through 3 disk and not one that works correctly, lots of video stutter near the end of the disk. 1x Speed, Tested on my Apex AD-1500 and my PC. Wish I hadn't bought 25 of these...

Pioneer: Came with the burner, worked fine, even burned at 2x, BUT we all know how much more expensive these things are.

cdrecordable.com disk: Got 5 of these in the mail this weekend, burned at 1x for me. (though some people report 2x recording, maybe it works on the A03 or something) Video on my Apex AD-1500 was very freeze and stutter filled, it also had this issue on my cousins Panasonic. HOWEVER Computer playback was PERFECT, this brand seems very settop specific as to rather it will work for you or not. I payed about 2.50$us each for the disk and plan to use them for data storage only as they seem pefect for PC uses.

Apple Media: Cost about 5.00$us each in sets of 5 only. Records at 2x and has played back perfect on ALMOST all players, the one that would not play it properly was a Sony Playstation 2, it did have the freeze and stutter issue on it, which is strange because that seems to be the media type being used by the PS2 copying people.

Anyway thats the state of things as I have found them to be so far. I'll update with any more info I find through my playing around. Next up: Princo's
    Quote Quote  
  2. Flaystus you mentioned the "25-Pack MeritLine" disks. Was that the "25-Pack General Purpose" for $1.75 per disk or $44.75 per spindle, or was that the Pioneer "Look-Alikes" the 25Pack DVDPro spindle which is going for $44.75 also?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Flaystus, if you are having trouble with the Apple disks maybe your A04 is not up to par. I have burned Mertline and CD Recordable and they play fine on my Sony and Panasonic. My Panasonic is a vitage player and very fussy and it plays them all no freeze or stutter. Based on most other results I have just been lucky. I also have a Apex AD-703 which is sad at best.

If all these generic DVDs are this bad in 6 months or less they will be out of business. CD-Recordable has a 4.5 ot 5 star customer satisifaction rating.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here is my contribution:

I have picked up a 25 spindle pack of 'Generic 4.7GB DVD-R for General Purpose' DVD-Rs from "TapeandMedia.com". ($2.39 per disc) So far I have authored 8 video DVDs with my Pioneer A03. My first 2 DVDs (burned at 2x) would start to play fine then cause my set top player to hang half way through the movie. This problem stopped after I slowed write speeds to 1x. As far as player compatibility these DVDs have played on all set tops I have tried (about 7 players) but failed with a portable DVD player (Sharp DV-L70).

Next I will try the 'Standard-Grade General Type DVDR 4.7 GB' from "DVDr4Less.com". (25 Pack Spindle 49.75:$1.99 each disc)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scooby111:

They were the Pioneer look alikes. So far as others using the disk ok I'm not sure at this point.... someone said that some of the drives have a firmware older then 1.20 and it might be my problems, but from what *I* can see 1.20 was the earliest on the DVR-A04, but I'm checking into it. The burner works perfect, plenty cool and never a coaster using nero 5.5.8.0

Anyway I'm just documenting my findings in hope that it helps others, but none of the sub $3 disk have worked for me yet.

Heck I'd even be willing to update to a new set top player if my friends nice Panasonic wasn't unable to play them also...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I received a Value Pack from cr-recordable.com. I picked one DVD-R at random from the pack and burned it at 1x (max) with Ulead's DVD MovieFactory on a Pioneer A03 firmware v1.68. It played flawlessly on both a Sony and Panasonic DVD player. Before you buy any of these generic DVDs in quantity buy a few and see if they work for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have already used this brand and it didn't work for me at all. How much video was on the disk? They seem to get worse as they fill up.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by flaystus
    I have already used this brand and it didn't work for me at all. How much video was on the disk? They seem to get worse as they fill up.
    The image was ~ 3.8G. When I get a chance I will burn a full disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, what brand/model set top player have you tested it on?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by flaystus
    Also, what brand/model set top player have you tested it on?
    I am glad you asked that question because I went back and reran my tests on the DVD-Rs from cd-recordable.com. I had mixed up the DVD-R that I had recorded from the new batch with a test DVD-R from a prior batch. When I played the DVD-R from the new batch on the Panasonic A120 it would NOT play. It posted the message No Play. I looked in the DVD Players compatability (on the left) and someone had just reported the exact same problem with the last batch of DVD-Rs from cd-recordable.com. This prompted me to pull out the DVD-Rs I had burned from the prior batch from cd-recordable.com. I tried to play each one about 10 times. Most of the time they started but there were several that did not start to play. Although meaningless if the DVD won't start, if the DVD did play there were no skips or freezing or any other defect if they started. The Apple and Pioneer DVD-Rs recorded with identical hardware started and played perfectly.

The same cd-recordable.com DVD-Rs started and played perfectly on my Sony DVPS360.

The Panasonic is an old machine and 'maybe' all the new machines will play them fine but I am not going to take the chance that my DVDs will not be playable in the future to save a couple of bucks. I believe the Apple DVD-Rs are a good choice and are recognized by the A03's frimware as an approved brand and burns them at 2X. I believe there is some wisdom in Pioneer only burning 'approved' brands at 2x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info on the DVPS360, personally if I can upgrade my player and use the cd-recordable.com cheap disk I will, cause in the LONG run its cheaper to switch players then continue to buy expensive disk. I'll have to check into this model....
    Quote Quote  
  12. I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth in on disks.

Verbatim dvd-r's $4.70 at meritline.com plays flawless on my lite-on dvd-r, fujitsu lifebook c series (matshita dvd-r/cd-rw drive)

meritline dvd-r pro cheap but have only gotten 2 out of 10 to work on any player

memorex dvd-r $5.99 at compusa plays flawless in all my machines

pioneer dvd-r came with drive flawless

princo $2.00 meritline.com haven't got any to work

TDK $7.99 at compusa flawless

Hope this helps someone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just got a new brand to work tonight. I was at Compusa and depressed because they didnt' carry apple disk.... but I see Smartdisk brand 5 packs for 20 bucks a pack, so I figure what the heck and buy some.

The only burn at 1x but so far they are perfect, so for now I'll continue to order my ESbuy.com disk at 3.40 each with shipping for new disk, and when I need disk in a hurry Smartdisk media.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Update to my earlier post:

Of the 25 'Generic 4.7GB DVD-R for General Purpose' DVD-Rs that I purchased from "TapeandMedia.com". So far 9 of my DVDs are duds. All media burned without error at 1x but playback stuters or hanges on nine DVDs. (Thats 9 wasted hours) From the looks of it all sub 3 dollar DVD-Rs should be avoided.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Can somebody else make some tests where generic discs are authored with DVDit! or Pinnacle Impression or some other application except Ulead to see if pixilation still occurs? I got pixilation only with Ulead Workshop and MovieFactory. Please no Nero, you must record DVD-R with authoring program.

If, Nero, must be newest May 4 (5582) version.
    Quote Quote  
  16. APEX AD1500 Player can not play ESBUY.COM Generic DVD-R media. It gets a NO DISC message. It plays the DVR-RW from ESBUY with no problems. It also plays the Pioneer DVD-R with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please no Nero, you must record DVD-R with authoring program.

If, Nero, must be newest May 4 (5582) version.
    Why?

If I want to hire a plumber, I don't call an auto mechanic. When I want to burn a DVD, I call the pros (in my case NERO). But, before anyone screams, there are cases where an auto mechanic can do excellent plumbing work - but why risk it.

In my DVR-A04, I have burned:
    1) Pioneer DVD-RW - worked perfectly (1X).
    2) Verbatim DVD-R - worked perfectly (2X).
    3) Princo generic DVD-R - not worth a sh*t (1X).
    4) Princo generic DVD-RW - worked perfectly (1X).
    5) CD-RECORDABLE.COM generic DVD-R - worked perfectly (2X).

All of these disks were burned by my pro (NERO). These disks were burned near the maximum length. My "worked perfectly" rating means that the disk played on both the computer and my set top Pioneer DV-343 DVD player. All disks were burned using a UDF/ISO9660 file system without Joliet extentions (for maximum compatibility). The Verbatim disk also played on a Sony PS/2 DVD, but the Pioneer DVD-RW would not.
    Quote Quote  
  18. IMHO If you want to play generics flawlessly you need to pick a tabletop DVD player with the best servo and that would be Sony. The new Sony with the precision 2 servo will play anything including a potato chip. The problem I have encountered with generics is the initial aquire from DVD or finding the spiral. I believe the spiral on generics is marginally within tolerance specs which makes it difficult to impossible for the servos on some DVD players to follow. I have three DVD players, Sony, Panasonic, and Apex. I did not include the Apex in the tests because IMHO it is not worthy. The Sony plays everything and the Panasonic will not play most generics. I have burned generics all from the same lot PrimoDVD, Nero, Ulead's DVDMF & DVDWS, and DVD Complete and the results were always the same. The Sony would play the DVD the Panasonic would not. If I burned an Apple or Pioneer with exactly yhe same setup the DVD would play flawlessly on both machines. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to instrument the DVD player to verify.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    marcovan:

what drive are you using to burn? I've been using almost ALL esbuy.com media with my DVR-A04/104 and they work flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used the purple/gold generic dvd-r's from hypermicro.com ($2.03 a disk) and had excellent results. They work in my dvd-rom drive (Affrey DD-4010E) flawlessly and all my videos work in my APEX ad-500w as well as a panasonic A120u (3-4 years old.) The thing I do have problems with is trying to play my Verbatim dvd-rw of my apex player. The player usually takes a couple of insert/eject cycles to get the player to accept it. Generics work fine in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    LanceSteel,
    which program you use for authoring/burning?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use MyDVD for authoring (I just have a basic opening menu) and Nero 5.5.8.0 for the actual burning.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by LanceSteel
    I've used the purple/gold generic dvd-r's from hypermicro.com ($2.03 a disk) and had excellent results. They work in my dvd-rom drive (Affrey DD-4010E) flawlessly and all my videos work in my APEX ad-500w as well as a panasonic A120u (3-4 years old.) The thing I do have problems with is trying to play my Verbatim dvd-rw of my apex player. The player usually takes a couple of insert/eject cycles to get the player to accept it. Generics work fine in my opinion.
    I have a Panasonic A120 and it will play some generics fine but I can get another another order the the 'same' generics and they won't play at all. Here is an example of someone else who experienced the same problem with inconsistancy: http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=218&Search=Search&#comments

IMHO I suggest you look for another authoring program MyDVD records it's audio in pcm format rather that mpeg 1 layer 2 which reduces your space on the DVD. PCM also limits your max video data rate. If I remember correctly all the Sonic products until you get to DVDit PE record the audio in pcm format. Just a suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has come to my attenion that there are 2 different AD-1500 DVD players from Apex. One is Flashingable, the other has a different drive inside and is not.... maybe this explains why the ESbuy are perfect for me and crummy for others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LanceSteel:

Thanks for the info, soon as I have a little more cash I'll give these purple gold disk a try... I'm spent tons of money searching for a cheap brand so why not.....

On a side note, I'm thinking of upgrading my DVD player. If i can use a good player and read the cheap disk is worth more to me then expensive disk on a cheap player... at least its cheaper in the long run...

Sooooo I'm thinking of getting one of the new Persision Drive 2 sonys that was spoken about in this forum... either that or burn something on a cdrecordable.com disk and find somewhere I can test out different mid range players and see if they skip on me... just need some money first.... heh
    Quote Quote  
  26. Whats everyone's opinion about verbatim's dvd-r's? I've heard that people had good results with them and ps2s. I also heard that they are pretty much flawless in every trial as well. Apple and verbatim seem to be the best quality for the price ~~5 each. Except apple supposedly studders in ps2's.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I forgot to ask what you guys recommend for dvd-rw's? Compatibility with stand alone dvd-players
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm using a Pioneer DVR-104 and NEro to burn, and playing the discs in a Pioneer DV-333. Discs from CD-Recordable sucked, but i've yet to have a problem with the discs from Meritline. Also, in a pinch i had to run out to Circuit City and pick up some discs, so i tried Digital Media - worked great, five dollars a pop. A bit cheaper than the other brand name discs, and no playback problems yet. These are my results thus far...
    Quote Quote  
  29. I just got my 104 and burned 2 primedisc dvd-r so far from shop4tech played perfect on apex 1000 and 1100 players , Strange thing my Panasonic LF-D311 wouldn't even recognize the discs
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hey Flaytus: I have a PIONEER-A04, APEX AD-1500. The ESBUY DVD-R do not work for me at all.
    Quote Quote