VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Meritline had some generic white tops DVD-R's that were 2X certified, but they are no longer selling them. Have anybody found other generic 2X certified DVD-R's?
    It also seems that Optodisk, Ritek and Vivastar are good and reliable cheap options for 1X media, and they are all branded. Personally, I don't like the silver or gold tops, but like the white tops or branded tops.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Gold topped Ritek that Americal sells are Crap. I would stay away from them. You can burn them but you may not have any luck in the reading them in all DVD players.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really starting to get cheesed with the whole dvd-r thing. I don't understand how a manufacturer can produce dvd-r's that have varying quality. Sometimes they read in one player, sometimes all players or sometimes no players. When you switch brands the quality varies as well. Isn't there a standard that is set for what the reflectivity of a dvd-r has to be? Also how can some of these manufacturers stay in business (ie princo) when everyone says their disks are crap?

Just a gripe...
    Quote Quote  
  4. The main problem is the DVD players that are not made to read DVD-R's. Most, if not all DVD-R's will record and playback in the DVD-RW burner. If they don't pass this test, then the DVD-R's are really bad. However, most (older) DVD players are tuned for the pressed DVD disks, and do not like the DVD-R(W) disks. As new DVD players come out, they will have to pass the DVD-RW test to sell. My guess is that most all DVD players sold today does support DVD-R disks, but if you bought your player a few years ago, you might be out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The main problem is the DVD players that are not made to read DVD-R's
    Well, I don't agree (except for the part about older players).

My friend bought a new Sony that supposedly is supposed to play DVD-R (says so on Sonys site), but dosn't play a disc I gave him . His Apex does.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As was noted, and is true, the DVD-R format has not been 'formally' established. So that means a DVD player manuacturer is not obligated to provide any support, and if they do support it, they may not be consistent.

Many people slag the cheap DVD media, but they don't slag the cheap DVD players. It takes two to tango.

In my case I use the cheap DVDPRO (aka Princo) DVD-R media. I use Prassi PrimoDVD to burn to these discs at 2X and I rarely get any coasters. So far I've burned over 200 DVDs and I have only had 3 discs that failed. (not full failures, but partial failures - some of the content is inaccessible, but the discs will still load)

Not bad if you ask me.

Do these DVD work in every DVD player? Hell no! There is NO such thing as a DVD-R that will play in ALL DVD players. It just does not exist.

Some players will play it, some won't. It's not my problem if the DVD manufacturer is too cheap to properly test their product. After I burn every disc I test it on my JVC XV 521-BK. I've also tested on an RCA. Both give me no problems. However, friends have told me that some players (which will play some media) will not play others.

Some things to keep in mind:

-All DVD media is not created equal. From my experience, the higher the bitrate of your DVD image, the higher quality DVD media you need to use. In other words don't expect to burn some pirated movie with an 8mbps bitrate to a cheap Princo disc. I burn images with a bitrate of about 3mbps and I never have problems.

-Just because it won't play in your player, doesn't mean the media is bad. If the disc won't play, try another player. (or even goto a elecronics store and see if you can find a player that will play it there) Only if you can't find ANY players that will play it should you consider that the media won't support that high a bit-rate on the media.

-If you want to try different media, Meritline has a 'sampler' pack with a small assortment of different media blanks for $20. That way you can try and see which ones will work for you.

Regards,

Savant
    Quote Quote  
  7. Very well said Savant! The meitline DVD sampler pack that was suggested is a great idea. I have found that the meritline brand (code:ML-DVDR4.7G-025) works OUTSTANDING for me. It plays FLAWLESSLY on my APEX, Daewoo, Toshiba, PS2 and my new Koss portable unit. I also highly recommend the $3.49 double sided DVD-Rs that they have now as they are the same quality as the previous mentioned.

Go meritline!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I also got the Meritline "sampler" and have had fairly good results. The only type that did not work were the Optodisc brand discs. Both of them completed the burn (Nero) and then had errors detected during data verification (they also stuttered part way thru the movie). The failed Optodisc burn went thru just fine on other media.

For me, the Meritline brand and the DVDPro discs had the best compatibility (Pioneer 444 and Panasonic L50). The "High Quality" (that's what Meritline called them) played on the Pioneer, but not the Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That sampler pack does sound like a great idea. I guess I'm just cranky from buying media and then not having it work in my dvd player. I bought some two weeks ago that don't work in anything other than the dvd-writer (and this includes my pioneer dv-500m drive which reads everything!) If the disks were $0.50 a piece I wouldn't mind but when they are $2.00 a piece its a different story. I did have a beautiful batch of Ritek disks when I first got my writer but I am unable to find these disks anywhere (since the company that sold them switched to princo brand disks!)

Also, God forbid, that companies sell single generic dvd-r's so you can test them rather than sell them in batches of 25 for $60.00. I guess I'll have to try that Meritline sampler pack.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The only thing I'm worried about now is that the quality of the non-namebrand discs seems to vary from batch to batch. For instance, the DVDPro discs that I got in the sampler were very good, but others have had problems with them. The Optodiscs that I get were both bad, but some people swear by them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had very good luck with DVDPro. Plays in all four of my players.
    Yet my mom's Sampo (of which is included in my four players) has trouble with them.

Weird.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, one thing to keep in mind with the 'cheap' discs from Meritline/Supermediastore is that they buy from different manufacturers but sell at same price. The old batches they used to sell were silver on top. Those were Princo discs. Now those silver discs are no longer available and the discs they sell are white on top.

I just run the media identifier on them and it came up with "TDKG01" and the label on the stack of discs was ML-DVDR4.7-100 (which is a stack of 100 discs) as compared to ML-DVDSILVER-100 (for a batch of 100 Princos aka DVDPRO).

I had thought these white ones were Princo as well, but a check showed otherwise While I had 3 coasters with the silver discs (out of 120) , I've burned a stack of 50 whites and am 25% through my stack of 100 whites and I have not had one bad burn yet.

So it may be likely if you purchase the new 'cheap' ones from Meritline that you'll get these TDK's. So far they seem pretty good.

In case anyone is interested, I also ran one of the White inkjet printable discs (which are different from the white ones above) and the media info shows them as "RITEKG". I didn't have any problems with that brand either. (although I only burned 10 of them)

Regards,

Savant
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a 25 pack of Ritek from supermediastore.com & they arrived last wednesday. I've already ran out (next shipment (though DVDPRO this time) will be arriving wednesday..woohoo) ... and I have not had one coaster from them. They sell for $1.25 for 100 packs and $1.50 (ish) for a 25 pack.

Players:
    Panasonic A110 (about 4 years old), PS2, Apex AD-1200, Apex AD-500w.

cheers,

kyle

ps-out of the 60 or so dvd's i've backed up, i've only had one dvd that didn't play in the apex 500w only (it played on all the others).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hey you Guys, all of you have the APEX machines??
    Im from southamerica Peru, im using only PIONEER DVD players, i have DV-C503(5 discs) and DV-535(single) the best!.
    Im trying with Cd-recordable packs 1.99 per disk, oh my god what a S**t!, with no recording theyre decoloring surface! and after record no works! I have tried with Princo but dont work. I have 2 DVR-103 and use Prassi Primo DVD. After this i only burn on Pioneer and Sony discs 2x, and theyre perfect! Works on any player i have tried Samsung, Toshiba, High Tech, Panasonic and Sony all with different models. Pioneer 50 Spindle is now $285 on www. filmwareproducts.com
    Any knows some about the DVD-R used by chinese piracy they are silver and play on any DVD player (a chinese copy from any movie is $10 or less!) and have DTS!.
    Well any want to set a Forum for trades?? I have a big collection (more than 200 adult dvds, 176 anime titles and some movies and music videos.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well any want to set a Forum for trades??
    Perhaps you might start a new thread for this.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  16. ESBUY generic GOLD plays on everything. On a batch of 50, i've only had 2 go bad during the burn. They all play excellent on my apex 1500 and 1600
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with marcovan, I've had ZERO issues from the Esbuy.com gold top disk and I've been through almost 5 orders of them. And they are Gold toped Ritek.
    Quote Quote  
  18. yea they played on everything except my brothers sayno. supermedia stores generics however did.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got a reliable brand of DVD-r's. I ordered the Primedisk 25 pack (in a spindel) for 39.99 from shop4tech.com. I'm really happy with these. The ADVD pre-recorded Info Lead-In is as such: .B...@....P..7.......RITEKG..03.

I used to use Gold Topped "generics" which were in fact Ritek disks as well. ADVD: .B...@....P..Y.......RITEKG..01.

To me they seem pretty comparible in quality but the newer ones are about $1 a disk cheaper.

Does anyone know what the number after the "ritekg" means? Could it be quality level?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure about the "G" behind the Ritek. I've used the same ones with no probs.

Ordered the 50 pack Primedisk from shop4tech and got ones made by Vivastar which seem to work without any probs on my equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mertiline got the 2X white or silver tops in stock again. The 2X DVD-R's have worked fine for me, and at a good price of less than $3.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would think the G after RITEK means that it is general media (as compared to authoring media)

Regards,

Savant
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm working to make some kind of dvdr list...but it isn't so easy

i have made a beta dvd media report form

www.vcdhelp.com/dvdrmediaform.php

do you miss something? or should change something?

and what about the dvdr names?

reply here http://forum.vcdhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=104953
    Quote Quote  
  24. I just purchased TDK DVD-R47A from thenerds.net for $2.30 each. That is the same product code as is sold at CompUSA. They are selling DVD-R47AAX (new ones) for $3.80 each, but i called TDK and was told those are the same ones with a new package.

I have tested ones from CompUSA already, and I haven't heard anyone having problems with branded TDK media though. The shipping from this place is 9.95 no matter how much you order it seems (within reason). I got 40 plus shipping for like $102.

And the DVD media report form looks great
    Quote Quote