VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I have found already a million topics around this but nothing works so i am going to try here.

I convert my movies to MKV files with MKVMerge program(movie & subtitles in Dutch since i am from Belgium). I than put them on my Cisco NAS and stream them to my Samsung TV.
    The movies play correctly but i dont have the option to rewind, fast forward or even pauze and if i start looking at a movie and half way i am going to bed than i have to watch it also from the beginning again.

Anyone who can help me out on this because i am getting frustrated and tried already a million things, nothing works.

Thanks
    Killshaak
    Quote Quote  
  2. All those functions are built into the media player. If you are using the media player in the Samsung TV, it should be able to fast forward and pause (my 10-year old Samsung certainly can do this). Doesn't your remote have the <<- and ->> or <- and -> buttons on it?

You could also use an external media player and feed its output into the TV via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They are also in a sense built into the compressed file...or not. (shorter) GOP length, Closed vs. Open GOPs, Chapter markers @ the I- or IDR-frame. Indexing & Streaming-friendly ordering. These can all improve the playback features experience.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In mkvmerge add these command lines in muxing/add command line options --engage no_cue_relative_position --engage no_cue_duration --disable-track-statistics-tags and check the save as default for new jobs.You will have to remux the affected videos,try this for one mkv to see if it helps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. those add command lines, i dont have them all in that list
    Also when i try to add them manually see second print screen and i try to mux than i get errors, see third print screen

[Attachment 54274 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 54276 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 54275 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Killshaak; 29th Jul 2020 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    All those functions are built into the media player. If you are using the media player in the Samsung TV, it should be able to fast forward and pause (my 10-year old Samsung certainly can do this). Doesn't your remote have the <<- and ->> or <- and -> buttons on it?

You could also use an external media player and feed its output into the TV via HDMI.
    Yeah it does have those but when i press it, it says not available on the TV so not working
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    All those functions are built into the media player. If you are using the media player in the Samsung TV, it should be able to fast forward and pause (my 10-year old Samsung certainly can do this). Doesn't your remote have the <<- and ->> or <- and -> buttons on it?

What do you mean with the player in the samsung TV? I just open my NAS on my TV and play from there
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Killshaak View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

What do you mean with the player in the samsung TV? I just open my NAS on my TV and play from there
    When you watch a video that your Samsung TV reads from a file via the USB connection, or via the network connection, your TV is acting just like your computer, except that the Samsung has a media player built in.

If you have a small file size video file that won't let you fast forward and rewind, and can post it on a media sharing site, I'll try playing it on my Samsung TV and see if I can come up with an idea of what's going on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by Killshaak View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

When you watch a video that your Samsung TV reads from a file via the USB connection, or via the network connection, your TV is acting just like your computer, except that the Samsung has a media player built in.

If you have a small file size video file that won't let you fast forward and rewind, and can post it on a media sharing site, I'll try playing it on my Samsung TV and see if I can come up with an idea of what's going on.

Check you PM
    Quote Quote  
  10. btw i also use MKVToolNix and MKVMerge, what is actually the difference? Am i missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Killshaak View Post
    Check you PM
    As I said in my response to your PM, there is no need to send me private messages, and I don't do free, private consulting. Ask your questions here, and you will get the benefit of having dozens of people look at your questions. Many of these people know far more than I do about media players in TV sets.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well so far the answers didn't solve my issues so more feedback is welcome on how to solve this

btw i also use MKVToolNix and MKVMerge, what is actually the difference?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    In mkvmerge add these command lines in muxing/add command line options --engage no_cue_relative_position --engage no_cue_duration --disable-track-statistics-tags and check the save as default for new jobs.You will have to remux the affected videos,try this for one mkv to see if it helps.
    well i dont see these commands that you say, see print screens higher in this threat, pasted some print screens
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do ANY MKV files allow FF/RW on your TV?
    If some do, perhaps a mediainfo report may prove helpful. Get the info (text view) for a working and non-working
    file and post it here
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Do ANY MKV files allow FF/RW on your TV?
    If some do, perhaps a mediainfo report may prove helpful. Get the info (text view) for a working and non-working
    file and post it here
    no all the MKV files dont allow it. basically the buttons Pauze, fast forward and rewind are greyed out as you can see on my photo
    And what is the actual difference between those than? MKVToolNix and MKVMerge?
    All my movies were made in the first place with MKVToolNix and than i started using MKVMerge since i found info that this could solve this issue but still same problems.

[Attachment 54310 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They're the same thing. Don't they look the same when you open them up ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I can only click on the far left one and far right one but that's to go to the next movie, the others i can click on but nothing happens, he says not available
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I can only click on the far left one and far right one but that's to go to the next movie, the others i can click on but nothing happens, he says not available
    I'm talking about mkvmerge and mkvtoolnix being the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    well i see a slight difference between both

[Attachment 54313 - Click to enlarge]

Streaming directly from PC to tv works fine but yeah than i can fast foward and rewind on PC itself
    Last edited by Killshaak; 31st Jul 2020 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Killshaak View Post
    well i see a slight difference between both

[Attachment 54313 - Click to enlarge]

Streaming directly from PC to tv works fine but yeah than i can fast foward and rewind on PC itself
    Could it be related to my NAS? It's a Cisco one but i think 10 years old already now.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I did some other tests today, put an MKV file on an USB stick and played that on the TV. That works fine so i think it's related to the Nas(its a old Cisco NSS322 smart storage system which is 10 years old already maybe even older) so guess the issue is on that since USB stick doesn't give any issues on TV.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Killshaak View Post
    I did some other tests today, put an MKV file on an USB stick and played that on the TV. That works fine so i think it's related to the Nas(its a old Cisco NSS322 smart storage system which is 10 years old already maybe even older) so guess the issue is on that since USB stick doesn't give any issues on TV.
    That NAS has a Twonky UPnP media server. If you're using the media server (rather than simply navigating to a network share) that's where your problem is.
    Quote Quote