VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I made a rip of a DVD using AnyDVD. I want to make sure that if I recorded it to a DVD and played it on a standalone player, it'd be fine. How do I check that? The problem is -- the VIDEO_TS plays fine in latest VLC but when I load it in PowerDVD 5 or 9 the menus aren't clickable... I don't know which software to trust. I can't just record it into a DVD and try it in a standalone DVD player because I don't have access to one.

I tried making the rip with DVD Decrypter and got the same result. The log doesn't show any errors.

(If it's important, I'm actually not interested in the 1-1 copy, but rather in my custom job that added some subtitles to it as per the guides in this forum -- again it plays fine in VLC but menus aren't clickable on PowerDVD 5/9.)

Operating system: Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've would tend to trust PowerDVD more than VLC as to how a stand-alone DVD player would react as I find VLC to be more relaxed in handling non-compliant DVDs than PowerDVD.

Personally I test using PowerDVD v7 together with PgcEdit and DVDRemake which both will flag transgressions of the specifications for a video-DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I loaded the DVD into PgcEdit and DVDRemake and nothing popped up saying something's wrong. I don't know what else to look out for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With vlc you select 'Open Disk' and then select the video_ts folder NOT the individual file in the folder. Menu buttons should then be active.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I know. I said the VIDEO_TS works fine in VLC. That's not the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But there is both a folder named Video_TS and a file with the same name in that folder.

Of course if you have burnt the folder to a disk you just select the drive letter.

And before I posted I also checked directly running the file in vlc and menus were inactive. Only became active loading the folder. But menus should also be active if you chose to run the ifo rather than the vob
    Quote Quote  
  7. What you said made me try something that I think has fixed it. I was opening the DVD in PowerDVD (and VLC) by drag'n'dropping the folder. Seems that's not what you should do. I now opened it using the "open" function in PowerDVD and the menus load fine. Thanks!

(However, my newly added subtitle track, which plays fine in VLC, in PowerDVD when I select it I just get a copy of a previously existing subtitle track. Sigh.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On a stand-alone player the subtitle button should toggle through all tracks that have been correctly muxed in to the vobs.

In PowerDVD when you select the track from one of the right-click options it should play.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
    However, my newly added subtitle track, which plays fine in VLC, in PowerDVD when I select it I just get a copy of a previously existing subtitle track.
    Did you 'turn on' those new subs? You can't just add them and expect them to behave like already existing subtitle tracks. Did you add them to the DVD by doing something similar to the Method 2 here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD
    Make those subs available for use in the DVD by doing this:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD#post1685800
    Quote Quote  
  10. I followed that guide, yes. But I misread your post about activation, that's where I messed it up.
    Quote Quote