VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 74 of 74
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DWIChannel View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Oh wait, you mysteriously didn't link to your website from your campaign website. Hmmm...
    Maybe because it's a campaign website.
    And yet you linked to your other websites, including one in which you state in large bold print: "Cops are the scum of the Earth". And on your campaign page write about underage drinking and DWI, yet fail to link to your site, despite having your original email link, which you changed after I brought up lead to another of your websites which had a direct link to your campaign website. Double hmmm...is it because you knew you couldn't monetize your other sites like you plan to do with the DWIChannel???

    Anyway, I've given up on trying to make you a somewhat caring human being who does seek to prey on the suffering of others. I leave you with the last word and wish you all the worse in all your endeavors seeking to earn money from others work as you did in 2015 and had to change your website.

  2. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Or, more likely:
    Originally Posted by DWIChannel View Post
    by The DWI Channel."
    Reporter: Who?

    From your site:
    to present DWI disaster stories
    We call that "disaster porn". And FYI, that means you're a pornographer. Your site gives to society about as much as Pornhub.

    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Today, to avoid these lawsuits, most such news aggregators provide at most a headline
    If you follow financial news, you have several major aggregators that provide only the headline and first paragraph, with a link to read more. Yahoo Finance is an example of an aggregator. For example: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/e6d690e9-48c7-3a39-a547-92c9f0728bcf/nextera-energy-s-stock-falls.html ... which leads to the actual story at Marketwatch.

    Originally Posted by DWIChannel View Post
    I think everybody is just jealous because they didn't think of it.
    Youtube beat you to it about 15 years ago.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 18th Sep 2020 at 02:04.

  3. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    And yet you linked to your other websites, including one in which you state in large bold print: "Cops are the scum of the Earth".
    Gosh I hope he didn't say that. I didn't pay any attention to his posts until now, so I have no idea how to find his personal website or his "campaign" website, whatever that is, because he apparently has pulled those links. If he really did say what you quote, and said it just like that, then that is hate speech, pure and simple. I need to see it myself, but if he said it, then I agree with others that he does not deserve anyone's help.

  4. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    And yet you linked to your other websites, including one in which you state in large bold print: "Cops are the scum of the Earth".
    Gosh I hope he didn't say that. I didn't pay any attention to his posts until now, so I have no idea how to find his personal website or his "campaign" website, whatever that is, because he apparently has pulled those links. If he really did say what you quote, and said it just like that, then that is hate speech, pure and simple. I need to see it myself, but if he said it, then I agree with others that he does not deserve anyone's help.
    You're probably better off.

    I did some reading. Yeesh. The guy is a whack-a-doodle. Lots of ranting, mostly about (and calling for repeal of) staples like USPS and Social Security. And about 20 years ago, there was a disgraceful resignation after stating cops are enemies that should be killed, something he apparently still believes. He apparently has a hard-on for anarchy, which is really in the same vein of "take stuff others made, and then monetize it". What an a$$hole. Thankfully, others agree, and he got a whopping 2% of the vote in laughable 2018 and 2020 runs for Congress. He's a somewhat infamous crank up in his area.

    And now he's an infamous crank here at VH.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 18th Sep 2020 at 02:04. Reason: typos

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    And yet you linked to your other websites, including one in which you state in large bold print: "Cops are the scum of the Earth".
    Gosh I hope he didn't say that. I didn't pay any attention to his posts until now, so I have no idea how to find his personal website or his "campaign" website, whatever that is, because he apparently has pulled those links. If he really did say what you quote, and said it just like that, then that is hate speech, pure and simple. I need to see it myself, but if he said it, then I agree with others that he does not deserve anyone's help.
    100% true.

    Image
    [Attachment 54935 - Click to enlarge]


    I see he changed the email address on his website again to webmaster, but Mr. T. (think male turkey) Alciere (trying not to get into trouble with mods) has lots more questionable content. In 2015, he was SELLING voter registration details from a free website and claimed something along the lines of the usual scummy, "Just trying to make a living!" and claiming since it was public information he had the right to sell it. That site is still up, but it links directly to the public info website that takes a good bit more to get the info.

    And if you look him up on YouTube, he has a bunch of creepy videos, including one really questionable one in which he rants about how if a guy asks a college girl out, then she changes her mind when he gets to her door, [s]he owes him "something" other than just a no!

    I found it back when I first started ranting against him and his intentions and couldn't watch until the end. Lots of the comments use the "R" word. *SHUDDER*

    Edit: I just checked his YouTube channel and I stand corrected. There are no comments on that video. The comments with the "R" word are on some site, possibly Facebook that linked to the video. "go means go" two years ago!

    Edit 2: <Delete on second thought>
    Last edited by lingyi; 17th Sep 2020 at 23:07.

  6. At the risk of getting my wrist slapped, can we vote this guy off the island?

    A cop went into the 55 degree Pacific Ocean in January 2005 in weather that was so rough that all the surfers were on the beach. He went half a mile into the ocean and rescued my daughter from a rip current. He puller her out about five minutes before she went under. Twenty minutes later, when she was admitted to the hospital, her body temperature was 92.

    What do you say to a man who risked his life to save your daughter??

    I know what you don't say: "you are scum."

    This stuff has got to stop.

    (Picture taken by a reporter who heard about the rescue on the scanner. Because of the amazing heroics involved, it was the lead story the next day.)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MRM Rescue 003.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	755.6 KB
ID:	54938  

    Last edited by johnmeyer; 18th Sep 2020 at 01:21.

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    At the risk of getting my wrist slapped, can we vote this guy off the island?
    Off the island? Off planet Earth. Uranus sounds appropriate for him!

    Edit: You know someone's really pathetic when you feel bad for being nice to him!

  8. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    At the risk of getting my wrist slapped, can we vote this guy off the island?
    Or find a special deserted island, just for him.

    This stuff has got to stop.
    At the risk of the thread turning political, he's a far (far, far, far) right-wing zealot. So far right that he fell off that flat-earth globe. Not left-wing, as most people attribute (falsely) to anti-police mentality these days, and realizing that "defund" meme is misinterpreted. The truth is that you get thugs and keyboard warriors of all "-wings" that want death and anarchy. We have one in our midst. That's the sort of stuff you see at 4chan, not VH.

    Indeed, this sort of warped ideology has to end.

  9. Originally Posted by alendrew11 View Post
    The Web Playback SDK is a client-side JavaScript library which allows you to create a new player in Spotify Connect and play any audio track from Spotify in the browser via Encrypted Media Extensions.,,,,,

    Supported Browsers
    Chrome, Firefox, IE 11 or above

    Regards,
    Oh, but your comment is so off-topic in this forum.

  10. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

    1. Video hosting. It is pretty clear that you are a neophyte with limited experience in website design as well as the mechanics and engineering of a video hosting facility.
    Imagine that, in the "Newbie / General Discussions" section.

    You got throttled initially for exceeding the small file storage quota they provide, and you solved that by removing some of your video files.
    Actually, it was the hosting company where I originally hosted the site that did that.

    However, if you have any success at all driving traffic to your site, you'll soon get throttled for exceeding the bandwidth their TOS allows you. That will be a MUCH bigger problem because, if you start getting enough users to cause a bandwidth throttle, your site will go down just as your business is taking off, your users will abandon you, and you will fail.
    Good point.

    2. Storage. You are going to need a lot of storage for even a modest amount of video. Low-end hosting companies can't provide what you'll need.
    If traffic grows, maybe I will find a personal injury law firm to sponsor the site. Until then it is a hobby.

    3. Copyright. You obviously understand the issue because your site says that the videos you host have permission from the copyright holder to be shown.
    There's copyright, theft of bandwidth, and Terms of Service issues.

    However, getting permission from 1,000+ major market (top 200 cities) TV stations is going to be a long process and, as you have found, most of them will not give you a blanket license to stream their content. Each negotiation could take several months, requiring lots of letters, emails, and phone calls. You'll probably need to hire some sales reps to handle this.

    But here is the big issue: if you violate copyright, you will get a cease and desist letter. If you ignore that, you WILL get sued. Even if things don't go that far, the smart lawyers representing the copyright holders will send copies of each cease and desist letter to the company that hosts your content, and it won't take more than two of these for your hosting service to shut you down.

    My advice: since you know so little about hosting, you really should try to "prototype" your idea on YouTube where a few copyright strikes probably won't shut you down. YouTube also has the massive advantage of having all sorts of tools to help you drive traffic to your channel. By contrast, for every new website that gets "discovered" and goes viral, there are 100 that languish and disappear as soon as the annual hosting agreement expires.
    ---------
    *(OP's name)
    I actually had a reason to expect the copyright clearance issue to be a lot easier. When I last went to a movie theater, I told the cashier which of the different movies I wanted tickets for. The cashier sold me tickets for that movie. The machinery keeps track of how many tickets to each movie get sold, and the theater pays the movie companies accordingly. Commercially using music is equally straightforward with ASCAP and the like issuing licenses.

    I suspect that some TV stations want to cover their asses if they realize, to their horror, that their reporter forgot to say "allegedly." They can simply add "allegedly" to the text and delete the video clip, not to destroy the evidence but to cease and desist from defaming the plaintiff's character thenceforward. Even if some Netizens have cached the video, the station is covered because the station forbade the Netizens to do so. This may explain why some stations are happy to allow embedding of their videos, but not copying and hosting them separately.

    Thanks for your insights.

  11. Originally Posted by DWIChannel View Post
    I actually had a reason to expect the copyright clearance issue to be a lot easier. When I last went to a movie theater, I told the cashier which of the different movies I wanted tickets for. The cashier sold me tickets for that movie. The machinery keeps track of how many tickets to each movie get sold, and the theater pays the movie companies accordingly. Commercially using music is equally straightforward with ASCAP and the like issuing licenses.
    The problem is that licensing agencies and "the machinery" are only set up for certain types of uses, and certain types of material. Music has the machinery, but only for certain types of uses. Want to perform "Satisfaction" in front of an audience? BMI & ASCAP can help. Want to broadcast licensed music? There is machinery for that. Want to use "Start It Up" with your new release of Windows in 1995? Well, for that, you have to negotiate directly with the Rolling Stones, which is what Microsoft did for the introduction of Windows 95. For us mere mortals, we are stuck because "sync rights," which is what using someone else's music under your own video creation is called, has no machinery whatsoever. The only way to legally do this is get permission directly from the copyright holder. I suspect sampling may also not be covered.

    (I have a long funny story about sync rights and a project I did for the NSA, and how the famous spook agency found an "end around" the law.)

    When you get away from music, you will find that most uses require that you negotiate directly with the copyright holder, just like sync rights. That's what I described above.

    It appears to me that YouTube is brokering some of these gray copyright areas because I see thousands of channels which aggregate copyrighted content (e.g., all Jay Leno "headlines" for an entire year), but almost certainly without direct permission of the copyright holder. The copyright holder can assert their rights and have the content removed, if they choose. I have done this on several occasions with several of my more valuable clips which were aggregated in someone else's channel. YouTube had the offending videos taken down within an hour or two.

    Just so you know, if you are lucky enough to have your content licensed by a major entity, the going rate is $100/second with a ten second minimum, per clip. I did actually get that for use in a Sony Pictures feature movie that was released worldwide.

    My point in disclosing that is that copyright holders sometimes will protect their assets like a lioness protecting her cub. Don't mess with the lion.

  12. For those who still don't understand, the project is my way of producing something along the lines of Every 15 Minutes.

    You might also like my websites, https://udadd.com and https://stoptheMADDness.org

    I suspect that some of my critics here have emotional baggage from their DWI arrests.

  13. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    I have reported the above post. The OP has simply gone too far now.

  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it's time to close this one.




Similar Threads