VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Magnavox MWD2205 DVD/VCR Combo in mostly good condition. DVD plays fine but every VHS tape I play has a hissing noise. Tried cleaning the heads lightly with alcohol but hiss remains. Any ideas where to look? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Look for a Hi-Fi audio option.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Look for a Hi-Fi audio option.
    Assuming you're telling the OP to get a VHS HI-FI VCR as his combo and AFAIK all combo units are non-VHS HI-FI

OP, the fact is VHS linear audio is very, very poor and full of hiss and wow and flutter. In addition, you unit is mono only. You don't specify whether you cleaned the video or audio heads, but the audio head may be dirty or out of alignment. There's also the possibility that it's needs demagnetizing, but that's something I wouldn't recommend to anyone that doesn't fully understand the insides of the VCR.

Bottom line, the only way to get better audio is get a better VCR, ideally one with VHS Hi-FI if you tapes are recorded with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lingyi,

I am looking at it for a friend. video head and audio heads have both been cleaned. I'll take a look at demagnetizing
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there a Dolby NR option. Dolby encoded tapes had a lot of high end noise when played without a Dolby decoder.

(Do not confuse Dolby Noise Reduction with Dolby AC3 encoding on DVDs)
    Quote Quote