VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm pretty new to this; I have bought two home bluray players on the cheap end already and neither will read my files properly.
    I thought I would save myself some time and money and ask this here:

Could anyone recommend a (multimedia) Bluray player that can meet this criteria:

- Reads BD-R DL discs (50g) burned as "media" discs
    - Can open photos and music from media discs
    - Able to read 10bit x264 mkv files from BD-R discs as media disc
    - Able to read 10bit hevc x265 mkv files from BD-R discs as media disc
    - Can read 1080p to 4k resolution files.
    - Supports FLAC, AAC, etc
    - USB optional but welcome
    - HDD bay not necessary
    - As cheap as possible (<$200 optimal, <=$350 acceptable )

The players I bought read x264 files without issue but none of the 10 bit/hevc MKV files I have will open in either model.
    I'm not really interested in the USB or HDD features as I already have other media players that handle those.

Any help is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why 10bit? You'll have problems with most players and TV Sets.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am aware that most bluray players won't open those files. Is there a model that does at all?
    We use a flash storage / USB type media center most of the time and I have no issues with those formats.
    However, I have started burning to Bluray because I want to free my hard drive space and being able to read the files directly would save me some time copying from disc to USB every time.

We live in Asia and both players we've had were older models (2016 with 2018 firmwares). I would have thought most recent players would be able to read those formats by now?

I have a lot of 10bit /hevc flies so re-encoding is not really an optimal solution.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Blu-ray? No. You'll need to check out Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD players. Sorry, I don't know which support your requirements. But support for MP4, MKV (or any media file other than m2ts and VOB on fully authored discs) and flac and aac are not required by the Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD spec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How about something like the GIEC BDP-G5300?
    The specs mention x265 hevc processing and 10 bit playback?
    Would that work or?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    see what it says in its user manual regarding input formats.

But, since Bluray doesn't support HEVC, it would be VERY unlikely that a player would support it in files when it doesn't even support it as a disc/authored format. As jagabo mentioned, you'd have to go to 4k UHD BD for better odds.

But why go BDP at all? Why not just get a HTPC?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the manual page for the LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray player that lists information about what types of video file types and formats it plays.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    see what it says in its user manual regarding input formats.

But, since Bluray doesn't support HEVC, it would be VERY unlikely that a player would support it in files when it doesn't even support it as a disc/authored format. As jagabo mentioned, you'd have to go to 4k UHD BD for better odds.

But why go BDP at all? Why not just get a HTPC?

Scott
    We have a HTPC / multimedia center, which we use at home for video playback most of the time.
    I know BDP is not exactly the most convenient tool for media playback nowadays. We have a NAS at work and had drive failure in the past which lead us (and myself) to reconsider how we store our data in the first place. We decided to save our stuff on discs in addition to hdds and haven't had a problem in years. We now get discs from the manufacturer so storage cost is significantly lower compared to HDD.

We don't *have* to use a bdp but it sort of make sense to us. Our computer is not always at home or on so the server is not always up. I can burn without converting (saves time), save money because we can get cheap discs, don't have to worry so much about data loss and as you already mentioned we could also play UHD discs since we have a nice 4k OLED TV.

Sorry for not being more specific earlier. It seems that the GIEC model I mentioned (G5300) supports the formats I mentioned but I will check with the manufacturer to make sure. The GIEC model we had from 2016 was good but was not UHD (so no hevc support).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    This is the manual page for the LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray player that lists information about what types of video file types and formats it plays.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    note that it says supports HEVC (h265), BUT it doesn't say that it necessarily supports them in 10bit. Yes, if it's a 4K UHDBD player, it should be able to pass 10bit - at least from the UHDBD discs - but again that might not mean it supports 10bit for the data files in its "general media player" mode. This kind of thing has happened more often than not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, for your price range you're severely limiting yourself by insisting on a disc player with features that may be lose whatever capabilities it has with the next firmware update. If you're looking for small and simple, a mini PC like a NUC or PC on a stick with an external disc player will give you far more compatibility with the numerous types of file formats and settings that may not work on your hardware disc player.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    IMO, for your price range you're severely limiting yourself by insisting on a disc player with features that may be lose whatever capabilities it has with the next firmware update. If you're looking for small and simple, a mini PC like a NUC or PC on a stick with an external disc player will give you far more compatibility with the numerous types of file formats and settings that may not work on your hardware disc player.
    I suppose a mini PC or stick is a good alternative since I already have the burner. I hadn't really thought of that the be honest. Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote