VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone!

Just started to backup some VHS tapes from the late 80s early 90s, i have a hauppage usb live 2 capture device connected to a friends vcr on loan, i noticed some artifacts on the video but since its a vcr on loan i dont want to do anything to it before knowing if its the tape or vcr fault.

here's a screenshot, does anyone recognize it or what causes it?

[Attachment 54134 - Click to enlarge]

thanks.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Those are tape dropouts, Basically in those areas of tape the scan lines signal has partially or completely deteriorated and the VCR's DOC (Drop Out Compensation) circuit trying to fix it by borrowing the signal from the adjacent good scan lines, The result is blurry horizontal stripes, but better than static noise like in the upper portion of the image where the DOC failed to compensate due to limited number of lines it can fix or the signal was beyond fixing, Some high end VCR's have higher number of lines that can mask/fix up to a whole frame. You can reduce tape DO by cleaning the VCR's tape path more frequently like between scenes of the same tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, i have one of those cleaning tapes never used before, time to put it to good use.
    Thanks
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote