VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently copied some old DV camcorder tapes onto the HDD of my DVD Recorder.
    I now want to get these onto my Windows 10 PC so I can edit them using video editing software.
    So I copied the videos from the HDD of the DVD recorder onto a blank DVD+R.
    Put the DVD+R into my PC and import the VTS files.
    I am finding that on every disc i try to import files from, not all of the VTS files will play.

For example, files imported are:
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3
    Yet only _2 and _3 will play.
    _1 will never play, meaning the start of the recorded programme cannot be imported onto the PC from the DVD+R burned from the DVD Recorder HDD

Anyway I can overcome this. I tried converting the VTS files to MP4 but the _1 file of each disc was not recognised
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    turn on file extensions so you can see what type of files they are. they should end in .bup, .ifo, or .vob the vobs are the video files and they should be converted to mpg. try using vob2mpg on the source files to copy them off the dvd and convert them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ps - a much better way to get the DV off the cam and onto the computer would be to use the cam's firewire port to a computer firewire port and do a direct copy of the tape with winDV.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    ps - a much better way to get the DV off the cam and onto the computer would be to use the cam's firewire port to a computer firewire port and do a direct copy of the tape with winDV.
    Thanks. That sounds most favourable way forwards. Will give that a go
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    sorry if this is a silly question but I presume this method is Windows 10 compatible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need a firewire port on the computer, but yes it works with w10 if you have one. most don't come with one anymore but with desktops you can add in a card to the motherboard.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is not a silly Q.

I have read that lately Win10, through it's latest updates, has stopped supporting legacy controllers firewire/IEEE1394 being the pertinent one. That is assuming you have a firewire port on the PC since they stopped putting those on mbs quite a few years ago.

But, for the moment, back to your issue. What happens when you try to play the dvd+R in a software player such as vlc >> Media >> Open Folder >> Video_TS or Media >> Open Disk >> select drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

But, for the moment, back to your issue. What happens when you try to play the dvd+R in a software player such as vlc >> Media >> Open Folder >> Video_TS or Media >> Open Disk >> select drive.
    Have tried playing the DVD+R on Power Media Player for HP. It plays fine - i.e. the main menu as created on my DVD Recorder's HDD appears - I then click on thumbnail of title to play - then movie plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it's all there and plays ?

If that is so you can aedipuss's suggestion to try vob2mpg and extract the mpeg2 video from the vobs.

BTW I have a firewire port but do not use Win10. I reported what I read in these forums. If the poster was misled then I apologise.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So it's all there and plays ?

If that is so you can aedipuss's suggestion to try vob2mpg and extract the mpeg2 video from the vobs.

BTW I have a firewire port but do not use Win10. I reported what I read in these forums. If the poster was misled then I apologise.

Yes its all there and plays just as it would on the DVD Recorder onto TV.
    I'll have a go at the extract using vob2mpg over the weekend.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions so far.
    Quote Quote