VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    What model will work
    I have tried 3 from china and all shows as cameras not a video device like a laser player
    There must be different to a vhs player for some reason
    So does anyone know what works to grab the movies

Also how can one record the Dolby track from the disc as a grabber has no digital connections
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't buy any capture device from china,they are all crap,buy a decent capture device such as an osprey,others here can give you more options on what to use.Capturing from a laser disc is the same as a vhs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Osprey 827e pci/e card capable of analog & digital video, analog & digital audio captures. I use VirtualDub to cap my laserdiscs as the supplied Osprey program only caps lossy. You want to use the composite output of the player, not s-video. Laserdisc is a composite RF signal. If you have vhs tapes, try using a s-vhs player and use the s-video output. You will want to deinterlace video footage, and IVTC film footage via AVISynth.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Really apreciate all of this
    Can you give me more info on removing Interlace never used that program for that purpose
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You may need a AC3 RF demodulator to decode the digital PCM into AC3 before feeding it to the digital input of the capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I have not seen a card with a digital input as well as the normal ones
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I have an Osprey 827e pci/e card capable of analog & digital video, analog & digital audio captures. I use VirtualDub to cap my laserdiscs as the supplied Osprey program only caps lossy. You want to use the composite output of the player, not s-video. Laserdisc is a composite RF signal. If you have vhs tapes, try using a s-vhs player and use the s-video output. You will want to deinterlace video footage, and IVTC film footage via AVISynth.
    Can you fully explain how to use avisynth for this purpose please
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Don't buy any capture device from china,they are all crap,buy a decent capture device such as an osprey,others here can give you more options on what to use.Capturing from a laser disc is the same as a vhs.
    I disagree with some of this.

Magewell is a VERY decent Chinese-based manufacturer of cards/devices. Maybe not ideal for vhs, but certainly not crap. Also, capturing from LD is different from VHS because LD by it's disc-based nature has a form of stabilization to the signal (much like a TBC),whereas VHS is quite FAR from stable (without assistance).
    I do agree that for VHS and many analog SD captures (particularly consumer-based formats), Osprey is at or near the top of the list. But those are getting harder & harder to find.

Scott
    Quote Quote