VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm pretty new to this, discovering the joys of trying to burn something onto DVD that will play on standalone DVD players.

The original was copied from VHS on a Toshiba D-VR18DT-K-TB which produced a VIDEO_TS folder on a DVD, I finalised this on the Toshiba, all seemed to work ok - I've copied that onto my PC and now want to burn this to two or three more DVDs for a couple of people. I've tried using File Manager - right-click on the VIDEO_TS folder, 'Send To' my PC's Bluray/DVD drive, and then going to my DVD drive and choosing 'Finish Burning' from Drive Tools. The DVD it produces actually works on my own standalone Bluray player, but for two other people I have done this for their drives just won't play the DVD - one has an old LG DVD player and this just spits the disk out (I'm wondering it it doesn't like DVD-R) the other just sits there trying but never gets anywhere. It's frustrating!

If it makes any difference there is a basic 'menu' on the DVD which was produced during the process of copying from the VHS. The menu appears and works ok on my own bluray standalone player.

The original VHS is just a video of a school dance performance, but done by a 'proper' company (just a small local outfit I think)

Any ideas? Is the method I'm using above the right way to do this?

Thanks
    Guy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try slowing down the burn speed to 4x and see if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you still have the one good DVD, use Imgburn to create an image of it, then use the same
    program to burn the image to you new DVD(s)

If you want to use the Hard drive Video_ts copy, open Imgburn,
    mode/EZ mode picker
    write file/folders to disc
    Drag your video_ts folder onto the window
    Allow the program to set UDF file system if necessary.
    Burn at half the rated disk speed
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, ImgBurn is typically the answer to all disc burning issues: just follow the procedure posted by davexnet.

HOWEVER: if you don't already have ImgBurn installed on your PC, avoid the latest version 2.5.8.0 installer if at all possible!

AFAIK, that version is still infested with an annoying, difficult to remove adware package. The last "known-harmless" ImgBurn installer was 2.5.6.0, which just had an easily-declined Ask Toolbar sponsor. 2.5.8.0 is much more insidious (unless someone here knows of a recent change that omits the nasty "Open Candy" forced crapware).

Unfortunately 2.5.6.0 vanished from availability once word got out about the sneaky adware in 2.5.8.0 (presumably as a toxic effort to force adoption of the Open Candy adware). So the only safe version still available conveniently from VH (via the Older Versions link) is the rather outdated 2.5.0.0. But this should still do most of the basic burning functions anyone would need as well as later versions, minus the sketchy adware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For you, friends:
    ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 portable, no installation, no ads (link removed)
    Last edited by ProWo; 16th Jul 2020 at 17:11. Reason: link removed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have v2.5.8.0 and it installed as far as I can remember without any issues, no adware on my machine....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I have v2.5.8.0 and it installed as far as I can remember without any issues, no adware on my machine....
    Good to know, perhaps all the complaints eventually moved the developer to revise the installer. I haven't tried the version currently hosted on VH: the multiple endless horror threads here bemoaning the difficulty of getting Open Candy off your PC after 2.5.8.0 sneaked it on left me permanently wary. At least originally when 2.5.8.0 debuted, there was no obvious indication (to average users) the new installer would play the nasty adware trick after explicitly de-selecting any bundled installs. Most upgraders discovered Open Candy after the fact, when it was an arduous chore to remove from their systems.

Several thread contributors back then offered suggestions to disconnect internet access while installing 2.5.8.0 to bypass Open Candy getting installed, but not all agreed this was a sure-fire solution. Others proffered instructions to hack the installer code to extract just the ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 app itself, which was then referred to as the "portable" version (linked by ProWo above). I was not aware that VH was back-door hosting this portable "clean" 2.5.8.0 as an option: it doesn't seem to be listed on the VH ImgBurn download page?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all for the detailed advice, sounds like ImgBurn is the way to go. Fingers crossed!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    For you, friends:
    ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 portable, no installation, no ads https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/ImgBurn_2580_portable.7z
    Awesome thanks
    Quote Quote