VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about 300 old home movies stored as avi files and a few do not have audio in Plex. I tried converting them in plex but audio was still not available. I have tried converting the files to mkv with the common converters I would usually use including handbrake and nothing seems to see the audio file except vlc media player. I also tried fixing the file with vlc codec avi repair tool but nothing. I tried a tool to convert from avi 1 to 2 and it failed. Any suggestions . Image
    [Attachment 54071 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the file in Avidemux. Leave video as copy, set audio to either mp3 or aac.
    Output format "MKV muxer" - configure/aspect ratio 4:3
    Save as MKV
    Quote Quote  
  3. The file will not open. I tried other files that I successfully was able to convert to mkv with audio in other software and they will not open either.

[Attachment 54072 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Erik Goetz; 6th Jul 2020 at 13:40.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a small file you could upload as a sample?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can you define small haha.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Erik Goetz View Post
    Can you define small haha.
    Less than 500MB, that's the site limit. Need a few seconds minimum.
    Quote Quote  
  7. None of the "smaller" files have audio problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh 500mb, well shucks almost all of them are under the 500mb limit. only a few are larger. Ill go through and pick one out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of the "smaller" files have audio problems.
    OK. You could upload to a file hosting site and put the link in thread. Perhaps mediafire or something similar
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think i got it attached.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 29.AVI (139.91 MB, 81 views)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to mention, something I overlooked because I don't use it too often, try FFmpeg, with a command like this
    Code:
    FFmpeg -i PAL_DV_sample.avi -vcodec copy -acodec mp3 -b:a 192k myfile3.avi
    This will just re-encode the audio to mp3

EDIT I guess FFmpeg doesn't like it either. Perhaps somebody else will chime in on this
    Last edited by davexnet; 6th Jul 2020 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  12. evidentily copy and paste doesnt work haha, figured it wouldnt be that easy. Ill have to do some reading on using that program.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ffmpeg batch was one of the programs i tried with multiple preset settings. But i figured I would try the one you mentioned also. thank you for trying. Luckily its only 4 or 5 of about 300 files that have the audio problem Which is weird since they were all created the same way. At least now we have a file posted people can play with. Perhaps someone will take on the challenge.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you compare a good file to a bad in mediainfo in text view (for more details) do you see anything different in the audio/video specs?
    Quote Quote  
  15. This one has good audio, updated with correct file. Other than the date I see no differences.

[Attachment 54077 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Erik Goetz; 6th Jul 2020 at 14:38.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well that has aac audio, the other was PCM.
    Text view gives more details
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't mind re-encoding the file, it can be done.
    Since VLC can access the audio, you can use convert/save to capture the audio to a WAV file.
    Here's something quick and dirty
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. So you used vlc to create the new file. I have already converted most of them all to mkv formatting with aac audio. There were about 5 files that the audio didnt work after conversion. I didnt think about even trying vlc for the conversion. . It looks good on my phone haha. Ill have to take a look when I get home. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you used vlc to create the new file. I have already converted most of them all to mkv formatting with aac audio. There were about 5 files that the audio didnt work after conversion. I didnt think about even trying vlc for the conversion. . It looks good on my phone haha. Ill have to take a look when I get home. Thank you.
    The one reason I didn't do a straight conversion in VLC was because the file is interlaced. I couldn't get
    the "deinterlace" option to work in VLC. Converting it without de-interlacing creates a progressive file but with the combing.

So I saved the audio in VLC, opened the original file in Vurtualdub2, added the new audio, bob deinterlace, save as a new file
    Quote Quote  
  20. Got it, So VLC is used to extract the audio and then combine the audio back into the video file with other software. Ill give it a try with the other files and see how it goes. Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I was able to successfully convert a file using VLC with both video and audio that works in Plex. Initial results are promising without needing to use any other software. I may need to play with the settings for a lossless conversion of the video but its working. I had forgotten VLC had that capability. I downloaded and tried so many programs and I had the one I needed all along.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good, as long as you're able to account for the interlacing. Otherwise, you will see combing when viewed on the TV
    Quote Quote  
  23. The AVI files with PCM audio problems are AVI Type 1 files. You can convert them to Type 2 with DVdate.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    The AVI files with PCM audio problems are AVI Type 1 files. You can convert them to Type 2 with DVdate.
    Good spot ProWo -
    we missed the most obvious thing !
    Quote Quote  
  25. I tried another software to convert it to a type 2 but it failed. Ill try this one. I suspected that was part of the problem but was not able to find anything that would work. VLC worked but I lost some video quality. It looks fine on a avg tv but anything larger and it gets noticeable. I tried to copy the video straight across and only convert the audio it only copied the audio and video was black. crossing fingers it will convert
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    The AVI files with PCM audio problems are AVI Type 1 files. You can convert them to Type 2 with DVdate.
    This worked. Thank you for the suggestion. I was able to convert the file over to mkv after updating it to a type 2 and both video and audio are working.
    Quote Quote