VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings everyone,

I am trying to convert couple of VHS tapes to digital format using capture card and OBS. I've encountered a problem with all my tapes playing in a shaky and wavy manner. Here is an example: https://youtu.be/_JDWpw-dxoo

Is this problem from my VHS player or its from the capture device?

Capture card/device:
    * EasyCap
    * LG VHS Player: GL182W

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly, OBS is NOT a capture program. It is a screen-capture program. There is a difference.

Use the software that comes with the capture device as a starting point and upload a sample capture from that.

Your tape has tracking issues and they should be fixed BEFORE you capture anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How does the tape play on your tv from your vhs?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Firstly, OBS is NOT a capture program. It is a screen-capture program. There is a difference.

Use the software that comes with the capture device as a starting point and upload a sample capture from that.

Your tape has tracking issues and they should be fixed BEFORE you capture anything.

I have lost the licence key for the software and I don't mind OBS screen capture.

I thought the VHS had timing problem. I'll try different one and I'll reply to you thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    From VHS Player to EASYCAP to the PC via USB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm surprised no one has addressed the elephant in the room. Even once the OP gets the VCR and capture method solved, he/she's still working what the notorious EasyCap!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Well sometimes they work

To the OP. To get screen-capture (I do assume that OBS can not do normal transfer) there has to be a picture on the screen. No capture device can do that without capture software. So something does not add up here.

Try virtualdub for the capture. No need for any licence key here.

But my money is on a bad vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by octopodiform View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What I'm asking is how good does the vhs look playing directly to your tv with that tape,not the capture procedure.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I'm surprised no one has addressed the elephant in the room. Even once the OP gets the VCR and capture method solved, he/she's still working what the notorious EasyCap!
    If Videohelp gets a dollar out of everyone who buys the easycrap and comes here to complain about the problems they will be able to buy youtube.
    I would say a combination of all, easycrap, VHScrap, OBScrap, The OP needs to do some learning about capturing analog video the proper way, There are nice materials to read at digitalfaq.com just look for the right subforum.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    If Videohelp gets a dollar out of everyone who buys the easycrap and comes here to complain about the problems they will be able to buy youtube.
    I would say a combination of all, easycrap, VHScrap, OBScrap, The OP needs to do some learning about capturing analog video the proper way, There are nice materials to read at digitalfaq.com just look for the right subforum.
    You are right. It is the EasyCrap. I've tried my VCR and it works perfect on a TV using the same tapes. Now ill have to go look for a better Capturing method. Thanks for replying.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by octopodiform View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What I'm asking is how good does the vhs look playing directly to your tv with that tape,not the capture procedure.
    It plays perfectly on TV, I've just tried.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Well sometimes they work

To the OP. To get screen-capture (I do assume that OBS can not do normal transfer) there has to be a picture on the screen. No capture device can do that without capture software. So something does not add up here.

Try virtualdub for the capture. No need for any licence key here.

But my money is on a bad vcr.
    The VCR plays fine on TV. I believe the EasyCap is the problem. Either drivers issues or bad chip. I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I would love a reasonably prices solution for digitizing VHS. Otherwise I'll go read the forums for more information as I am immature enthusiast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drivers for usb devices have to be installed in a certain way (typically BEFORE you plug it in for the first time) - there should have been instructions with the device.

You have also not stated your OS. Windows 10 ?. These easycaps are notorious for poor driver support for OS after XP.

But do try what I suggested to see if you can get a clear picture in preview using vdub.

What do you consider 'reasonable priced' ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What do you consider 'reasonable priced' ?
    +1

As stated in numerous other threads, any type of quality requires the right equipment which costs $$$. Right now you're in the poor to fair stage with your VCR and capture device. If you get lucky and find a better VCR and capture device or a working VHS/DVD combo for less than a few hundred dollars you may be able to get into fair to good quality. Otherwise, you're probably looking at a minimum ~$300-400 to get out of the poor to fair category.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - VCR: lousy
    - Easycap: literally the worst cheap Chinese capture device made
    - OBS: the wrong software for analog capture

Essentially you're doing everything wrong.

- Good VCR: $500+ (up to $1k)
    - A bare minimum form of TBC: $125+ ... note the term "minimum" here, as there will be a capture fail rate the more minimalist/cheap you go; there are trade-offs in quality of the image, and the capture experience; ideal/best TBC $1k+
    - Good capture card: $100+
    - Good capture software: $FREE, VirtualDub 1.9.x

Buy it, use it, resell it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote