VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I am ripping some DVDs so I cn view them on my Apple TV3. I have ripped the content from the disc using Make MKV so have a series of MKVs. I am trying to encode them using Handbrake into the correct format to use with the Apple TV3 whilst maintaining the original quality. I have used the Apple presets but the quality does not seem as good as the original disc when compared side by side.

I am sure this has been asked before but could someone provide settings for Handbrake that will encode the MKV to MP4/H264 whilst preserving all of the original quality. I am not trying to shrink the file size (although I would prefer it to be no larger than the original MKV - but if it is, it is, but would like to know why). All I want is to keep the original quality of the DVD - if I could just play the MKV rip I would do that but the ATV3 does not support this. Likewise I'm not massively fussed about the encode time either. Again file size is not an issue - I have 8TB of storage and happy to increase as needed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Load your mkv into my clever FFmpeg-GUI and remux it to mp4. Same quality, no reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Load your mkv into my clever FFmpeg-GUI and remux it to mp4. Same quality, no reencode.
    Is it that simple?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can use Avidemux too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Which settings would I need to select to accurately maintain DVD in clever FFmpeg-GUI
    Quote Quote  
  6. No DVD. Load your mkv, set multipexing, your mkv is already selected as video source, load it as audio source too and as sub source (if any). Set Audio and Sub Language, set container mp4, click on Multiplexing. Done.
    Last edited by ProWo; 4th Jul 2020 at 05:26.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    No DVD. Load your mkv, set multipexing, your mkv is already selected as video source, load it as audio source too and as sub source (if any). Set Audio and Sub Language, set container mp4, click on Multiplexing. Done.
    I have tried this program and getting an error when I try to load the MKV 'Cannot Start Process Because a File Name Was Not Provided' this occurs when a browse to the MKV file. There is also an error at start up regarding missing applications.
    Quote Quote  
  8. is it not possible to do this in handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Batch file with ffmpeg:
    Code:
    for %%F in ("*.mkv") do ( ffmpeg -y  -i "%%~nxF" -map 0 -c copy "%%~nF.mp4" )
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by microkid2020 View Post
    I have tried this program and getting an error when I try to load the MKV 'Cannot Start Process Because a File Name Was Not Provided' this occurs when a browse to the MKV file. There is also an error at start up regarding missing applications.
    Read the Howto file. On the first start yuo have to specify the location of the static ffmpeg.exe, ffplay.exe., fprobe.exe files, as stated in the Howto.
    Quote Quote