VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Thread
  1. I have a Blu-Ray backup made by MakeMKV and I am wondering what the easiest way is to change it to an ISO - (just trying to understand the MKV backups and how they can be manipulated).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    There's no benefit or reason to repackage an mkv to iso,all it's doing is wrapping it in another container.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on how the disc was ripped.

    If the videos were ripped and remuxed to .mkv, then the only advantage to placing them into an .iso (container) is to have them all in one place or burning to a disc, possibly for playback on a Blu-Ray player.

    If the disc was ripped to folders (retaining the Blu-Ray structure), then you can burn the folders to .iso with ImgBurn and recreate the original disc without the copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Depends on how the disc was ripped.

    If the videos were ripped and remuxed to .mkv, then the only advantage to placing them into an .iso (container) is to have them all in one place or burning to a disc, possibly for playback on a Blu-Ray player.
    This was my reason for asking.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    My answer was for a single mkv file,i never used iso for burning blu-ray folders,only copies,i just burned them as is,if i need to make a copy i used imgburn to output an iso.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    My answer was for a single mkv file,i never used iso for burning blu-ray folders,only copies,i just burned them as is,if i need to make a copy i used imgburn to output an iso.
    I was asking because when I play in VLC there are no menus, but when I mount the blu-ray iso the menu's are there - so I am just asking if there is a way, using the mkv file, to re-create an ISO - ie is all the information still there in the MKV.. can I re-create the original file structure or is all of that gone - I just want to know, does anyone know here?
    Quote Quote  
  7. MakeMKV does not back up menu, so it is lost. You perhaps can make ISO again demuxing to streams and making Video_TS folder using Muxman, then ImgBurn to make ISO out of it. But no menu.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    MakeMKV does not back up menu, so it is lost. You perhaps can make ISO again demuxing to streams and making Video_TS folder using Muxman, then ImgBurn to make ISO out of it. But no menu.
    Thanks, that's kinda conclusion I was coming to.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv will back up the whole disc as in the file and folder structure so the menus will still be there,this only applies to blu-ray,not dvd video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I see, he backed up it up. I thought about MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the instructions from MakeMKV to do a full disc backup with menus. Note that as johns0 stated, the Backup option is only available for Blu-Ray discs and only when you're reading the disc from a drive. From there, as I stated above, you can burn the .iso to a new disc with ImgBurn
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    My answer was for a single mkv file,i never used iso for burning blu-ray folders,only copies,i just burned them as is,if i need to make a copy i used imgburn to output an iso.
    I was asking because when I play in VLC there are no menus, but when I mount the blu-ray iso the menu's are there - so I am just asking if there is a way, using the mkv file, to re-create an ISO - ie is all the information still there in the MKV.. can I re-create the original file structure or is all of that gone - I just want to know, does anyone know here?
    Okay, I'm confused.

    From what I'm reading it seems you have the complete Blu-Ray structure backed up to an .iso. Note that the Blu-Ray structure described here is much more complex than a DVD. AFAIK, you need a Blu-Ray capable software player like DVDFab Player or Cyberlink PowerDVD to playback the menus. Software and hardware playback of Blu-Ray .iso is rare because it needs to be properly licensed from the Blu-Ray Association.

    If you've already ripped and remuxed the videos to .mkv, the menus and other features such as angles and branching are gone because .mkv doesn't support them. In theory you could recreate them, but that's very difficult at a consumer level.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Makemkv will back up the whole disc as in the file and folder structure so the menus will still be there,this only applies to blu-ray,not dvd video.
    My question remains the same then, how do you "Un-Makemkv" and get the disk file structure back.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    My answer was for a single mkv file,i never used iso for burning blu-ray folders,only copies,i just burned them as is,if i need to make a copy i used imgburn to output an iso.
    I was asking because when I play in VLC there are no menus, but when I mount the blu-ray iso the menu's are there - so I am just asking if there is a way, using the mkv file, to re-create an ISO - ie is all the information still there in the MKV.. can I re-create the original file structure or is all of that gone - I just want to know, does anyone know here?
    Okay, I'm confused.

    From what I'm reading it seems you have the complete Blu-Ray structure backed up to an .iso. Note that the Blu-Ray structure described here is much more complex than a DVD. AFAIK, you need a Blu-Ray capable software player like DVDFab Player or Cyberlink PowerDVD to playback the menus. Software and hardware playback of Blu-Ray .iso is rare because it needs to be properly licensed from the Blu-Ray Association.

    If you've already ripped and remuxed the videos to .mkv, the menus and other features such as angles and branching are gone because .mkv doesn't support them. In theory you could recreate them, but that's very difficult at a consumer level.
    I have Blu-Ray ISO's - I just right-click, open with VLC and the menu pops right up no problem - without even mounting.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. You can't without re-ripping the disk in Backup Mode.

    If you compare the disc structure of a Video Blu-Ray (as opposed to a Data Blu-Ray) http://videohelp.com/hd to a Video DVD https://www.videohelp.com/dvd, you see how much more complicated it is. You can fairly easily recreate the Video DVD structure and create a simple menu for a Video DVD, but it's near impossible (particularly the menu which is Java based) to DIY for a Video Blu-Ray.

    If you say you don't have the disc anymore to rip, the conversation stops here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    My answer was for a single mkv file,i never used iso for burning blu-ray folders,only copies,i just burned them as is,if i need to make a copy i used imgburn to output an iso.
    I was asking because when I play in VLC there are no menus, but when I mount the blu-ray iso the menu's are there - so I am just asking if there is a way, using the mkv file, to re-create an ISO - ie is all the information still there in the MKV.. can I re-create the original file structure or is all of that gone - I just want to know, does anyone know here?
    Okay, I'm confused.

    From what I'm reading it seems you have the complete Blu-Ray structure backed up to an .iso. Note that the Blu-Ray structure described here is much more complex than a DVD. AFAIK, you need a Blu-Ray capable software player like DVDFab Player or Cyberlink PowerDVD to playback the menus. Software and hardware playback of Blu-Ray .iso is rare because it needs to be properly licensed from the Blu-Ray Association.

    If you've already ripped and remuxed the videos to .mkv, the menus and other features such as angles and branching are gone because .mkv doesn't support them. In theory you could recreate them, but that's very difficult at a consumer level.
    I have Blu-Ray ISO's - I just right-click, open with VLC and the menu pops right up no problem - without even mounting.
    And it works correctly? With all features? Fixing my main PC so don't have access to a BD .iso.

    Do you have any Java plug-ins or anything else installed other than VLC?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Okay. You can't without re-ripping the disk in Backup Mode.

    If you compare the disc structure of a Video Blu-Ray (as opposed to a Data Blu-Ray) http://videohelp.com/hd to a Video DVD https://www.videohelp.com/dvd, you see how much more complicated it is. You can fairly easily recreate the Video DVD structure and create a simple menu for a Video DVD, but it's near impossible (particularly the menu which is Java based) to DIY for a Video Blu-Ray.

    If you say you don't have the disc anymore to rip, the conversation stops here.
    The reason I asked the question was because I recently started playing with MakeMKV and wanted to know it's capabilities - I conclude that if I want to keep all the features of the original Blu-Ray, I'll keep using other applications, thanks for your help and your answers to my questions.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    My answer was for a single mkv file,i never used iso for burning blu-ray folders,only copies,i just burned them as is,if i need to make a copy i used imgburn to output an iso.
    I was asking because when I play in VLC there are no menus, but when I mount the blu-ray iso the menu's are there - so I am just asking if there is a way, using the mkv file, to re-create an ISO - ie is all the information still there in the MKV.. can I re-create the original file structure or is all of that gone - I just want to know, does anyone know here?
    Okay, I'm confused.

    From what I'm reading it seems you have the complete Blu-Ray structure backed up to an .iso. Note that the Blu-Ray structure described here is much more complex than a DVD. AFAIK, you need a Blu-Ray capable software player like DVDFab Player or Cyberlink PowerDVD to playback the menus. Software and hardware playback of Blu-Ray .iso is rare because it needs to be properly licensed from the Blu-Ray Association.

    If you've already ripped and remuxed the videos to .mkv, the menus and other features such as angles and branching are gone because .mkv doesn't support them. In theory you could recreate them, but that's very difficult at a consumer level.
    I have Blu-Ray ISO's - I just right-click, open with VLC and the menu pops right up no problem - without even mounting.
    And it works correctly? With all features? Fixing my main PC so don't have access to a BD .iso.

    Do you have any Java plug-ins or anything else installed other than VLC?
    Actually this is a bran new PC and I am in the process of installing applications, (my old PC had a bunch of applications I no longer use and I'm deciding how to set up it up). I have not yet installed Java.

    All I have installed with regards to VLC is the latest version with just the standard install for Windows 10 Pro and it works perfectly with all features. If you'd like, I can upload one of my Blu-Ray .iso's to a drop box if that is acceptable here, for testing purposes only, if you agree to delete it as soon as you are done testing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    No, that's fine. Thank you. I'll get around to testing it out later. I always rip my Blu-Rays to files or folders, just have to create an .iso with the folders. Not a rush, but good info for others.

    Someone just posted on Reddit that you have to install Java. I'll try it both ways.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Just as a follow up I did find that tsMuxer does a good job of re-muxing the MKV as either blu-ray ISO or folder as well as other options but I don't get the original menu back and oddly it keeps the chapters but somehow loses the chapter names. The results play just fine in my blu-ray player when burned back to a disk.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads