VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’m looking for a solution to split .MP1 audio files, at given time stamps, without re-encoding.

Use case: Converting Digital Compact Cassettes (DCC’s) MPP files to MP1, then splitting albums into individual tracks.

I know that many years ago (late 90’s/early 00’s) some were able to split MP1’s using a program called “MP3 Splitter”.

I have found a couple of old versions of MP3 Splitter, and am getting mixed results.

As well, I’ve tried using ffmpeg. However, whereas ffmpeg has an MP1 decoder, it does not have MP1 encoding capabilities - so, while I am able to split the MP1 into tracks, the split files are being output as MPEG-PS files instead of MP1.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
  2. whereas ffmpeg has an MP1 decoder, it does not have MP1 encoding capabilities
    We are speaking of 'MPEG audio layer 1' right?
    What does you ffmpeg command line look like?
    What happens if you used '-f mp3' or '-f mp2' for the output (assuming -acode copy) is used?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    whereas ffmpeg has an MP1 decoder, it does not have MP1 encoding capabilities
    We are speaking of 'MPEG audio layer 1' right?
    What does you ffmpeg command line look like?
    What happens if you used '-f mp3' or '-f mp2' for the output (assuming -acode copy) is used?
    Thanks so much for the reply!

Yes, I am referring to MPEG audio layer 1.

ffmpeg works well, so long as I'm okay re-encoding/transcoding. However; and I apologize, as this is a bit anal retentive on my part, I am attempting to just split the files without any re-encoding/transcoding.

ffmpeg -i input.mp1 -ss XX:XX:XX -to YY:YY:YY -acodec copy output.mpg

Despite being able to input .mp1, .mp1 is an invalid output format. I messed around and used .mpg output, which renders an mpeg audio file for which I can then simply change the extension back to .mp1, but in doing so, I believe I'm still getting a transcoded/re-encoded file. The resultant file has a slightly different bitrate than the original when I do this, and the file format, when inspected with MediaInfo, indicates it as an MPEG-PS file vs. MPEG Audio, which is what I begin with.
    Last edited by U2Joshua; 3rd Jul 2020 at 10:36.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What's about mpa output?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    What's about mpa output?
    Amazing! That did it!!! Thanks, so much
    Quote Quote