VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Converting an animation DVD to my plex server and I notice these artifacts baked into the video. It looks like the production company did a bad job de-interlacing the original public recordings, but I am not really sure. I have tried google random descriptions, but I am not coming up with anything. I can google it the rest of the way but wondered if anyone knew what kind of artifact this was?

[Attachment 54027 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are also on the neck and head. It could be oversharpening halos but I'm not sure. Is it like that when you play original dvd or just the conversation?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Please provide 10 seconds or so cut directly from the DVD. You can use DGIndex to cut an M2V.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    There are also on the neck and head. It could be oversharpening halos but I'm not sure. Is it like that when you play original dvd or just the conversation?
    Yes on the DVD

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Please provide 10 seconds or so cut directly from the DVD. You can use DGIndex to cut an M2V.
    sample_clip.m2v
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like its too low of a bitrate causing the issues,i bought some commercial discs that were worse.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's an oversharpening halo. I believe this comes from some analog sharpener that hits some resonance under certain conditions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Awesome, thank you everyone.

I'll do some more research. I also just purchased an older release of part of this series to see if it is a version before they de-interacted it and added these artifacts. it was $2 on Amazon so it will be an interesting experiment. I am hoping I can then do a better job on it than they did, but we'll see.

Again, Thank you.
    Quote Quote