VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, This is a very minor query but trying to work it out from the "Operating Instructions" I've found impossible. The DVD Recorder is a Panasonic Model DMR-EX77EB. When entering details of a TV programme to record, the "mode" appears automatically as "LP". It has previously always shown automatically as "XP". It can be altered easily but I would prefer it to show XP as a matter of course. It is as I have said, nothing major, but if anybody has any idea I would be obliged. Kind regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just looked thru the manual, and agree it really says nothing at all about default behavior of the recording mode/speed. Generally speaking this type of DVD/HDD recorder tends to "remember" whatever recording mode was most recently used, whether set manually by you for direct recording or set by the timer program screen. With Panasonic brand, you also need to look out for permutations of its "FR" feature, which sets an automatic recording mode based on whatever factors the recorder considers (how many timers set, how much capacity remains on HDD, etc).

Check that you don't have the "F Rec" feature activated. Check that you don't have any timer programs set to the LP speed. If neither is an issue, the unit should ordinarily remain on the XP rec mode you chose unless/until you change it to another speed for a particular timer or direct recording session. The timer screen will usually mirror whatever speed you have manually set in non-timer mode: if you have the recorder nominally set to LP instead of XP the timer screen will also automatically pick up LP as the initial selection. Check that the unit is set to XP mode before opening the timer system.

If all else fails, it is possible the timer screen got hung up on the LP speed after a glitch or power surge: performing a unit reset back to factory defaults might cure the problem. Follow the procedures on page 76 of the manual to choose the "Shipping Condition" or "Factory Defaults" option in the Setup Menu.

Long term Panasonic owners like jjeff occasionally still pop in to VH and answer related threads like this: wait a few days and see if you get a definitive reply from such a member.
    Last edited by orsetto; 25th Sep 2020 at 20:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW a 'minor' point.

This is the wrong forum for your Q. 'VR' stands for Virtual Reality and not Video Recording
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @db83, might want to rephrase that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-VR.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Scott

I did forget about video recording mode. But I doubt that the OP had that in mind in selecting the sub-forum for his post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD recorders might switch to a lower quality mode when the recording medium (DVD or HDD) is running low on free space.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I do agree this isn't the right subforum. Just ribbing you.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the Dvd & Blu-ray recorders forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I don't have access to your EX-77 stateside its operations sound somewhat similar to our TVGOS Panasonics of past, in those it defaults to the last recording mode used for a direct recording, if you had just pushed the REC button. To change that speed simply insert a recordable disc or select HDD and then push the MODE button on your remote, it should cycle through the various recording "speeds" of the machine, XP, SP, LP, EP and possibly more not available in the states.
    Good luck, again this is how the canned recording speed that first came up when using TVGOS worked, you could manually change it every time but if you always used the same speed it was nice to have that for the default mode.
    Quote Quote