VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Shameless plug warning: For info on the source used and some reference encodes, see this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/397870-The-most-comprehensive-AV1-encoding-test

While I was doing some SVT-AV1 test encodes for that thread, I ran across a bug with ffmpeg that I had not noticed before, namely no matter what crf value I passed to libx265 it seems to stick with the default crf 28. At this point i think it's a bug with ffmpeg itself that spans multiple versions, because I built ffmpeg+SVT-AV1 from the latest dev branch and it shows a similar bug where no matter what look ahead value is passed to ffmpeg for SVT-AV1 it sticks to the default value. I need to investigate further before I file a bug report.

Back to this, I decided to build the latest ffmpeg+SVT-AV1 to see if that SVT-AV1 bug showed up with the HEVC version and decided to run some tests.

Below you will find tests done with x264+medium+crf23 via Shotcut, this encode took 2min33sec; x265+medium+crf23 via Shotcut took 6:15sec.

For the SVT-HEVC encodes, I used the following command lines:

time ./ffmpeg -i "1080p.mp4" -c:v libsvt_hevc -rc 0 -qp 23 -preset 7 -tune 0 -an "/media/ck/960 GB SSD/1080p SVT-HEVC tune SQ.mp4" 2m35.779s

time ./ffmpeg -i "1080p.mp4" -c:v libsvt_hevc -rc 0 -qp 23 -preset 7 -tune 1 -an "/media/ck/960 GB SSD/1080p SVT-HEVC tune OQ.mp4" 2m29.254s

time ./ffmpeg -i "1080p.mp4" -c:v libsvt_hevc -rc 0 -qp 23 -preset 7 -tune 2 -an "/media/ck/960 GB SSD/1080p SVT-HEVC tune VMAF.mp4" 2m32.597s

time ./ffmpeg -i "1080p.mp4" -c:v libsvt_hevc -rc 0 -qp 23 -preset 4 -tune 0 -la_depth 40 -an "/media/ck/960 GB SSD/1080p SVT-HEVC.mp4" 6m47.564s

A bit of explaining, x264 and x265 have 10 presets available, ultrafast, superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, very slow and placebo.

SVT-HEVC has from 0-12, inclusive, for a total of 13 presets, with a default of 7. It also has 3 different tune options, SQ (visually optimized), OQ (PSNR/SSIM optimized) and VMAF (vmaf optimized), with a default of OQ.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Having trouble uploading all the files, here's another one.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. One more.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just realized I forgot to upload the x264 and x265 encodes.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I ran across a bug with ffmpeg that I had not noticed before, namely no matter what crf value I passed to libx265 it seems to stick with the default crf 28.
    Not with the static builds (tested today with newest zeranoes x64 build for windows)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I ran across a bug with ffmpeg that I had not noticed before, namely no matter what crf value I passed to libx265 it seems to stick with the default crf 28.
    Not with the static builds (tested today with newest zeranoes x64 build for windows)
    I was talking about Ubuntu Linux 18 LTS with dynamically linked libraries.

And it's reproducable.
    Quote Quote