VideoHelp Forum

Try DVD-Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD-Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    had a system crash. new disk, new install. forgotten all about how I did this, did that, installed this, installed that.

Win10

downloaded youtube-dl. Put it in a folder of it's own. Put that folder in the path.

Now I can go to powershell and write youtube-dl and it will not object. It will just make a new prompt.
    Just as though it had carried out a command and moved to a newline.

I give it an URL or I give it "-U", same thing. Just makes a new prompt and waits for me.

What have I done wrong or failed to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    first run cmd. then write youtube-dl link like this

Code:
    youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbbb7Dt3D8
    you must open the cmd from the path where is yt-dl, ex:

Code:
    C:\youtube-dl>
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's working this morning. Don't know why. Your example is how I've always done it - probably should have explained that I've been using it for a long time quite successfully.

Perhaps windows needed to be shut down and restarted for it to become aware of the path changes I made?

Anyway, It's working again. thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lomero View Post
    first run cmd. then write youtube-dl link...
    Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    Your example is how I've always done it
    Then why did you type:
    Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    Now I can go to powershell and write youtube-dl...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if we're on the same page here. I said I type 'youtube-dl' and get a new prompt to signify that I don't get that error message from youtube-dl telling us to supply an URL, etc... all that stuff.

Nor did I get an error from powershell saying the command was not understood.

I just quietly got a new prompt. That's strange behaviour to me - I mean I'm not used to it - I didn't (and don't) know what it signified.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Perhaps windows needed to be shut down and restarted for it to become aware of the path changes I made?
    no.

and powershell it's not needed. run cmd then yt-dl from its path. stop
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see the point. It's just as much hassle for me to run cmd as run powershell. Powershell IS my 'cmd' now and has been for a couple of years I guess.

And this is the way I've always done it and was perfectly happy with it.... I think I will stick with it.

thanks for your input.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Show the picture.
    Quote Quote