VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All

I'm looking for a free and simply way to create stunning looking Blu-Ray menus for a superb project I've just completed. What is the best software to use for this? I have seen some amazing looking created menus on YouTube that look like they are manufacturer made and I am interesting in getting to grips with making and creating one. I am happy to start the ball rolling with a basic menu to put onto my project where I can have a background image of a pic from the movie with a few editable buttons for PLAY, CHAPTERS and SUBTITLES with the ability to insert background music looping over the menu. I can do this quite easily on DVD's using DVD STYLER but I need something like this for BLU-RAYS too. Also, if someone can help provide an advanced tutorial on using Adobe Encore/Sony Vegas etc to create manufacturer looking menus or know anyone that maybe able to help me create one?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Menu backgrounds start out as static pictures or videos so a good graphics editor or a good video editor would be useful for creating them. Some here have recommended Blu DiscStudio Lite to those looking for free software to use for basic Blu-ray authoring. I don't think it is possible to do advanced Blu-ray authoring with free software. Some of the features required for that are only available with software costing hundreds of dollars or thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2020 at 09:59.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I'm happy to start basic menu editing which will allow me to use my own picture/video source
    for the top menu and to insert my own editable buttons etc. Something as simple as DVDStyler would
    be brilliant but I just find any software that will allow me to do this. All software uses templates for the
    menus and that's not what I want. I want my own picture/short looping video source as the picture with
    simple buttons or text which takes you to the movie/trailer/extras etc. so does anyone know of any free
    software like this?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only free Blu-ray authoring software capable of menu creation that I am aware of is Blu Disc Studio Lite and multiAVCHD. I don't use them but I don't think they require using built-in tempates.

According to the information posted by videobruger, it is possible to use DVDStyler to author HD video and create HD menus inside a DVD structure and then use DVDtoBD Express to translate the DVD structure into a Blu-ray structure. I have tried DVDStyler and know that it allows menu creation with or without templates

If none of those do everything that you want, then, as far as I know, you will need to pay somewhere between ~$60 and ~$100 for consumer-level basic Blu-ray authoring software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Due to the nature of BD and the late timing, I would venture to say that the terms "free" and "advanced bluray" are mutually exclusive.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25th Jun 2020 at 23:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The only free Blu-ray authoring software capable of menu creation that I am aware of is Blu Disc Studio Lite and multiAVCHD. I don't use them but I don't think they require using built-in tempates.

According to the information posted by videobruger, it is possible to use DVDStyler to author HD video and create HD menus inside a DVD structure and then use DVDtoBD Express to translate the DVD structure into a Blu-ray structure. I have tried DVDStyler and know that it allows menu creation with or without templates

If none of those do everything that you want, then, as far as I know, you will need to pay somewhere between ~$60 and ~$100 for consumer-level basic Blu-ray authoring software.
    Is there a tutorial on doing what u Ave videobruger mentioned so I can try that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theundertaker180 View Post
    Is there a tutorial on doing what u Ave videobruger mentioned so I can try that.
    The author's tutorial for multiAVCHD: http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php
    Guides and tutorials for Blu-disc Studio: https://blu-disc.net/guides

Maybe videobruger knows of a tutorial for the method he recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe videobruger knows of a tutorial for the method he recommended.
    I don't know of any tutorial specific for HD video but if the OP know how to use DVDStyler there's no difference he just create menus as he would for a DVD.

DVDStyler limits the bitrate to 9 MBits if it is to encode which would be rather low for HD video so it's better to make the encode outside DVDStyler and use "Copy" for the video.

https://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/discussion/318795/thread/10066d9817/?limit=25
    Last edited by videobruger; 25th Jun 2020 at 22:48. Reason: Clearifying
    Quote Quote