VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    How to make a srt file from a movie without any subtitles. Is there a freeware app available?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks Videobruger. I use Subtitle Edit a long time and I'm very satisfied about it. I can arrange wrong sutitles and even make translations into my dutch language BUT,
    I don't now how I can make a srt file from a movie WITHOUT ANY SUBTITLES? I tried with Jubler, no use and I even tried with YouTube, also no use. If there is a possibility with Subtitle Edit, as you like to confirm, please tell me how I have to do it? It seems dat the program need to recongnise the spoken language and then has to put it in a srt file. But how is works? That's the question?
    Quote Quote  
  3. movie WITHOUT ANY SUBTITLES?
    Not sure what you expect. Some software you feed your video to and then it create the subtitles for you?

I know of no such software (except the Youtube you mentioned but I find that very faulty - perhaps I just mumble too much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPybljDTVYw)

What I've done in Subtitle Edit is mainly to use the wave form. Double click where I want the subtitle to start and drag it for the duration of the subtitle. Tedious? Yes.

But maybe others know better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks. I've found the wave form. By double click I've seen the movie and behind the wave file. But how can I get a srt file and save it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have to set the time where the speech begins and end and type all the words in that,there's no easy way to do that so just look for the srt on the web unless it's a custom movie.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another aid to make a subtitle track is to get hold of the screen play, if available. Some older movies you can find a few sites that have even shooting scripts. This at least gives you the words in text form, so eliminates one step in having to transcribe via listening etc. I doubt if you could lay your hands on any recent movies.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check subtitle sites to see if they have the subs in another language so you at least have a guide for the start of the subs. The end time and general timing will be different because of the different language.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems there is no way to make an automatic srt file with subtitle edit. So I've tried again with YouTube Studio. They say that it is possible to make an automatic transcript of the spoken language (only in english). But I have problems to find the way how to make that transcript and how to link YouTube Studio with Google translator. Help please, if possible.
    Last edited by JEG41; 23rd Jun 2020 at 05:21.
    Quote Quote  
  9. 1. Do a fast re-encode at low quality video but good quality audio
    2. Upload to YouTube
    3. Wait for YouTube conversions
    4. Download subtitle
    5. Edit to your liking

Dunno if this will work but just a suggestion. Had in mind to try this with an old VHS that was digitized.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Using YouTube to generate the titles sort of works. However, because it uses two overlapping lines, it gets very sketchy when you bring it into Subtitle Edit.

The only semi-automatic workable solution I've found is Subtitlebee which gets expensive pretty quickly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks to All. I's a pitty there is no good solution available.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi no doubt it will take some editing, but at least you can get the timings right. You can try using speech recognition from Google keyboard or similar?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's the name of the movie in case anyone here might know of a subtitle already made for it?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No specific movie in tought. It's just a general question. Why it is not possible to convert a spoken movie to a srt file? YouTube says it's possible. Jubler too. In subtitle Edit you can dicover the spoken language visual but you can't breng it to a srt file. Is very frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are various articles on the internet, eg.
    https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/best-automatic-subtitle-generators.html

Probably going to take some research, trying this and that, to out what's viable
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    blud7. Do you know how the speech recognition from google works into YouTube Studio?
    Quote Quote