VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Boomer/off highway motorcyclist/longtime computer user who is bit/byte ignorant but made learning video editing software a Covid lock-down goal. A peer provided a strong endorsement for Movavi.

I asked two IT guys if there was a mismatch/gap between my Surface 3 hardware specs (the ones I provided to register for VideoHelp Forum) and Movavi's requirements. Both thought not, suggested I download and try the software.

Movavi has crashed every time (4 so far) when I "split" my first video (extracted a segment) and tried to save the result which is 8 seconds long. Error message every time was roughly "Unkown error caused crash. Report will be sent to Movavi".

Any/all practical help will be appreciated. I may be slow or worse with good answers to technical questions/answers but remain committed to getting on top of Movavi. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your computer specs are OK for Movavi. So it must be your video file. What kind of video is it? What camera?

You can also do this for better answers:

Open your video in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy that text and paste it to this forum. This will show us the full specs of the video and once we see that we'll be better able to help you.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 21st Jun 2020 at 09:33.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks tree tops. Camera is a Hero 7 White. Here's MediaInfo text:
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Steve\Videos\GH010246.MP4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 1
    Codec ID : mp41 (mp41)
    File size : 2.28 GiB
    Duration : 10 min 48 s
    Overall bit rate : 30.2 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2020-05-19 12:44:02
    Tagged date : UTC 2020-05-19 12:44:02

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L5
    Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 30.0 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 440 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 24.000 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 40.000 FPS
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.362
    Stream size : 2.26 GiB (99%)
    Title : GoPro AVC
    Language : English
    Color range : Limited
    colour_range_Original : Full
    Color primaries : BT.709
    colour_primaries_Original : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    transfer_characteristics_Original : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    matrix_coefficients_Original : BT.601
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 9.89 MiB (0%)
    Title : GoPro AAC

Other #1
    ID : 3
    Type : Time code
    Format : QuickTime TC
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Time code of first frame : 12:44:02:22
    Time code, striped : Yes
    Title : GoPro TCD

Other #2
    Type : meta
    Bit rate mode : Variable

Other #3
    Type : meta
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    mdhd_Duration : 648439
    Quote Quote  
  4. Stumped. Have you tried Movavi support?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again for trying. Tried Movava help. Generic response ~ 1 week ago said they're busier than normal due to Covid lock down. Nothing since. Apparently I'm not the only one using the time to do video projects. My wife thought she'd seen camera settings on our Hero 7 that support later editing, but isn't sure. I thought/hoped the MediaInfo text would explain if we'd used the wrong settings.

Not giving up. We paid one of our son's peer ~ $200 to create what we have in mind for this set of videos from another set shot on the same camera. No need to do that anymore, but unsure where to turn next.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That Quicktime format may be the cause, but I am not sure. Can you try to do a simple edit on the free windows Movie Maker to see if that will work. You can cut out a small section like you did previously and render to mp4 to see if that will work.

Edit: saw that ProWo made a suggestion in post #7. Try that first. Also Win 10 has an updated video editor that you can try (if ProWo's suggestion doesn't work) instead of Windows Movie Maker, which is pretty old.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 24th Jun 2020 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Remux your GH010246.MP4 with MkvToolNix-GUI to mkv and reload this mkv in Movavi
    Quote Quote  
  8. TreeTops and ProWo-Thanks to you both!

Windows Movie Maker worked with original GH010246.MP4 to produce the clip/split I wanted and GH010246.MP4 converted to an MKV file using MkvToolNix-GUI worked in Movavi to produce that clip too.

First-timer options now. Your suggestions?:

1. Use Movie Maker to produce my project, aka ditch Movavi despite purchase.
    2. Convert the ~ 20 MP4 videos (~2 hrs 20 min total) I intend to clip and insert in my project through MkvToolNix-GUI and use Movavi to create the project
    3. Something else I haven't considered

I'm learning quickly how much time editing takes. I expected lots of time to review raw footage and select clips/splits,. I'm hoping to find/use efficiencies soon. Example: Uploading videos from GoPro Plus website to Movavi took 10 minutes for GH010246.MP4. With 20 videos, many longer than GH010246.MP4, I'm hoping there's a way to pull them into editing software without first saving them to the hard drive. Are you aware of options for that or other efficiencies newbies should consider? Again, thanks.

n
    Quote Quote  
  9. I personally use Movie Studio Platinum by Magix. Now using version 16. I download clips from my Sony camera to the hard drive then import those clips into Movie Studio. Edit the junk out, add titles, maybe some fades between scenes, add music if required, then render out to MP4 for uploading to YouTube. That's my general work flow and have been doing that for years. Simple, straightforward and it works for me.
    Quote Quote