VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, I've started the tests to capture a bulk of VHS and VHS-S personal tapes and I get a choppy video playback, even on the preview window of the VirtualDub capture mode, I get a not fluid playback. It is more visible on action scenes (move an arm to grab something)

Capture details:
    I am using an old EasyCap device (SM 007 with the SMI2021 chip) and VirtualDub 1.9.x to capture (PAL 720x576 25fps Lagarith codec) composite Input because S-VIDEO outputs on Black and White. No deinterlace.

I only used this device once, many years ago, and I don't remember to have any problem (I used a different VCR with S-VIDEO)

So my doubts are:
    • a problem with the drivers of this device?
    • the VCR have problems to output a steady signal that can be interpreted by EasyCap? I cannot use the S-Video output
    • Do I need to change any setting on capture?

Solutions that I've already tried:
    1. change the compression codec
    2. Change the capture software (I tried the Ulead VideoStudio SE)
    3. Try to capture on Windows 7 x64 (I had a lot of problems to install windows 7, so I had to use an older laptop with limited resources so I had more drop frames)

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me sounds like you need more modern pc/laptop.

Need to consider hdd read/write speeds, even better to have ssd drive.

Better to have the capture program on the root drive and the output on another drive.

My 2 cents worth
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you but after some digging I think the problem is the capture card (“easycrap”) I’ve just ordered a new one and after a few weeks I can post here my progress.
    I have a high end SSD and a 8th gen Intel processor on my desktop machine so I think that my hardware will no be a problem
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yesterday the new device arrived and it fixed the problem!
    But I cannot use the internal audio capture from the device (the device only can capture video and there is no audio option on windows control panel). I have to use a external soundcard...
    Thank you ther89 for the link
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try HuffYUV, Lagarith uses too much CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your settings are wrong.
    Read the virtual dub settings guide on this forum.
    In control panel try show hidden devices and set as line in.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samuelcarreira View Post
    Hi there, I've started the tests to capture a bulk of VHS and VHS-S personal tapes and I get a choppy video playback, even on the preview window of the VirtualDub capture mode, I get a not fluid playback. It is more visible on action scenes (move an arm to grab something)
    Does it look somewhat like this: https://youtu.be/I2cAc4Wg8Ek or this https://youtu.be/5bvztmkLWW0 ? Then we might have a similar problem, Even though I'm using a Terratec device. Could be a Windows issues, with the latest updates.
    Quote Quote