VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, I've started the tests to capture a bulk of VHS and VHS-S personal tapes and I get a choppy video playback, even on the preview window of the VirtualDub capture mode, I get a not fluid playback. It is more visible on action scenes (move an arm to grab something)

Capture details:
    I am using an old EasyCap device (SM 007 with the SMI2021 chip) and VirtualDub 1.9.x to capture (PAL 720x576 25fps Lagarith codec) composite Input because S-VIDEO outputs on Black and White. No deinterlace.

I only used this device once, many years ago, and I don't remember to have any problem (I used a different VCR with S-VIDEO)

So my doubts are:
    • a problem with the drivers of this device?
    • the VCR have problems to output a steady signal that can be interpreted by EasyCap? I cannot use the S-Video output
    • Do I need to change any setting on capture?

Solutions that I've already tried:
    1. change the compression codec
    2. Change the capture software (I tried the Ulead VideoStudio SE)
    3. Try to capture on Windows 7 x64 (I had a lot of problems to install windows 7, so I had to use an older laptop with limited resources so I had more drop frames)

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me sounds like you need more modern pc/laptop.

Need to consider hdd read/write speeds, even better to have ssd drive.

Better to have the capture program on the root drive and the output on another drive.

My 2 cents worth
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you but after some digging I think the problem is the capture card (“easycrap”) I’ve just ordered a new one and after a few weeks I can post here my progress.
    I have a high end SSD and a 8th gen Intel processor on my desktop machine so I think that my hardware will no be a problem
    Quote Quote