VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. So using barMask I'll be able to do that? I mean the cropping part?

Why is that!? why there is no actual cropping solution?

In MadVR there is an option where once the player detects 21:9 image it cuts all IMAX scenes to 21:9 too. Why it cant be done manually for all 16:9 movies?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by TheCage View Post
    So using barMask I'll be able to do that? I mean the cropping part?

Why is that!? why there is no actual cropping solution?

In MadVR there is an option where once the player detects 21:9 image it cuts all IMAX scenes to 21:9 too. Why it cant be done manually for all 16:9 movies?
    Shaders can do masking, shifting or zooming but they can't change the size of the frame itself. The video renderer applies the shader to the input or output frame. ffmpeg-based players (vlc, mpv) do have crop features, mpc-be supports the mkv crop flag, but it isn't done with shaders.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I had to update the whole K-lite because it was 3 years old.
    Its interesting that with the older version i was able to load multiple times vibrance.35 but now with the latest mpc no matter how many vibrance.35 i select the result in pictures is only one. Also i am not sure what is the difference between Pre-Resize Shader and Post-Resize. Does it have connection with the Shaders folder and Shaders11 like Pre-resize uses Shaders folder, Post-Resize uses Shaders11. I havent seen any difference in quality between pre-resize and post-resize with same sahders.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TheCage View Post
    I had to update the whole K-lite because it was 3 years old.
    Its interesting that with the older version i was able to load multiple times vibrance.35 but now with the latest mpc no matter how many vibrance.35 i select the result in pictures is only one.
    No idea about K-lite, but you should be able to load a shader multiple time in mpc-hc.
    Assuming the objective is to achieve a stronger effect, the preferred approach is to edit the shader file and change the default effect value
    ex, change: #define Vibrance 0.35
    to #define Vibrance 0.50
    then save as vibrance.50.hlsl
    It is expected that the effect of Vibrance would be less if the image already has high saturation.

Originally Posted by TheCage View Post
    Also i am not sure what is the difference between Pre-Resize Shader and Post-Resize. Does it have connection with the Shaders folder and Shaders11 like Pre-resize uses Shaders folder, Post-Resize uses Shaders11. I havent seen any difference in quality between pre-resize and post-resize with same sahders.
    With evr-cp renderer, Shaders can be applied before or after the resize operation. In some cases there is a difference (ex blur, sharpen, noise) but in the case of color shaders, just use them pre-resize if you are upscaling (less pixels to process).

Shaders11 is for dx11 hlsl shaders (used by mpc-vr).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    Assuming the objective is to achieve a stronger effect, the preferred approach is to edit the shader file and change the default effect value
    ex, change: #define Vibrance 0.35
    to #define Vibrance 0.50
    then save as vibrance.50.hlsl
    Oh thats very nice tip! thanks
    I guess i can do the some with contrast.10 and toodark.24.

What is the difference between using vibrance.35 or just use mpchc - color controls- saturation?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sure you can adjust the shader values to what works best for you.

1) If you over-do a saturation adjustment it ruins the picture. vibrance is a smart saturation adjustment, it's much easier/safer to use.
    2) the color controls saturation are hidden away in a GUI tab. It's easy to adjust for one video, close the player, then ruin all the videos you watch later, before figuring out you need to reset the saturation control (same thing for adjustments made in the graphics card driver settings). Using shaders my suggestion it to just toggle the hotkey to enable or disable and go with what you like best.
    3) The color controls are done by the video card driver, which are notorious for buggy video adjustments (as long as the video plays, they basically don't care). Ex: negative contrast is broken in mpc-hc with modern intel gpu driver, this will probably never be fixed. With shaders, you know what formula you are applying, the range of value is consistent (0 means no adjustment), it just works.
    4) Curves are a superior approach vs legacy adjustments, in particular for brightness adjustment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by TheCage View Post
    I had to update the whole K-lite because it was 3 years old.
    Its interesting that with the older version i was able to load multiple times vibrance.35 but now with the latest mpc no matter how many vibrance.35 i select the result in pictures is only one.
    There's just been a commit on https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc which seems to address this issue:
    "Allow running same pixelshader multiple times with MPCVR/MadVR.
    Was already possible with EVR/VMR."
    Quote Quote  
  8. you mean this gonna be check option in the next mpc-hc version?
    I talked with the admin of codecguide, he said in the next mpc-hc version it will be again possible to running same shader multiple times
    Quote Quote  
  9. It is probably fixed in the latest release of mpc-hc (v2.1.4).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Can i just download latest mpc 2.1.4 and install it into the current mpc folder or better to update k-lite pack to 18.0.5?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Both should work I guess, but I really have no idea as I only use the portable distribution of mpc-hc.
    Quote Quote